Brendan Rodgers set to sign new deal at Liverpool

Leave a comment

After a phenomenal season at Anfield where he has guided Liverpool back to the UEFA Champions League and in the Premier League title race with one game to go, Reds boss Brendan Rodgers has revealed he is close to signing a new contract.

Rodgers, 41, has transformed Liverpool since joining from Swansea in 2012 and has taken to the club back to the upper echelons of English soccer.

Despite their monumental collapse in the last few weeks of the PL season — a home defeat to Chelsea and a crushing 3-3 draw with Crystal Palace after being 3-0 up with 11 minutes to play look to have scuppered their title chances — Liverpool have had their best league season in PL history as fans have lauded their Northern Irish manager for fostering an attacking philosophy at Anfield.

After speaking to reporters on Friday, Rodgers is set to sign a new deal at the end of the season with an extension already sitting on the table.

“I’ve obviously been in discussions with the club and there’s the framework of a deal in place,” Rodgers said. “But I’ve always said it will be the end of the season. I want nothing to detract from what has been a great season for ourselves.”

No matter what you say about Rodgers and Liverpool’s cavalier tactics, which seem to have cost them the PL title over the last few weeks, you can’t deny the fantastic job he has done to turn his team into a title contender. Last season Liverpool finished seventh in Rodgers’ first campaign in charge as he struggled with expensive and under-performing players who had been left behind by the previous regime. In his first full season with his own players and having 18-months to preach his own philosophy, Rodgers has got the message across and Liverpool have impressed just about everyone in the game.

Rodgers deserves this new deal for taking his side to heights few expected. Now the real challenge will be building on this success and bringing back silverware to the trophy cabinet at Anfield.

Liverpool could still win the title on Sunday and with Rodgers on board for the foreseeable future, they have set themselves up to challenge for the PL crown for many years to come.

Reports: De Boer offered Crystal Palace manager’s spot

Photo by Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Multiple reports claim Crystal Palace has offered its managerial position to Dutch boss Frank De Boer.

Palace has been without a manager since Sam Allardyce retired after the season. The Eagles finished 15th in the Premier League, five points behind eighth place Southampton and seven points clear of the drop zone.

[ MORE: Latest on Ronaldo ]

An accomplished defender at Ajax and Barcelona, the 47-year-old De Boer led Ajax in his first managerial stint before spending less than three months at Inter Milan last season.

De Boer twice won the Rinus Michels Award as the top manager in Dutch football, and would become just the second Palace manager from outside the British Isles.

He would inherit a very good group of attackers with Wilfried Zaha, Christian Benteke, and Andros Townsend. Palace also has a talented midfielders Luka Milivojevic and Yohan Cabaye to go with marauding Dutch back Patrick Van Aanholt.

Farcical officiating at end of Mexico-New Zealand match (video)

Leave a comment

Mexico should be counting their Confederations Cup blessings in congested Group A after a prolonged shoving match at the end of its 2-1 win over New Zealand on Thursday somehow ended with a single red card.

New Zealand is fortunate, too, but the All-Whites have already seen their hopes of the knockout round extinguished by a pair of losses in Russia.

With New Zealand counterattacking in hopes of a late equalizer, Mexico’s Diego Reyes pulled back charging Niko Boxall. It was the second pull back in minutes after Rafa Marquez went uncarded at the other end, and Boxall reacted poorly by lunging cleat-first into Hector Herrera’s calf.

Referee Bakary Gassama should’ve easily pulled two red cards there, but lost his focus in an ensuing melee that saw Herrera charge back to knock down Boxall, headbutts between Diego Reyes and Andrew Durante, and an absurd hand-throwing performance from Javier Aquino. Perhaps this lapse was understandable, which is why he had Video Assistant Referee available.

Even video couldn’t get it right, as a long and sloppy review was seemingly bungled by the referees saw a trio of yellow cards given to Boxall, Reyes, and Herrera.

All three should’ve been sent off, and otherwise Man of the Match contender Aquino and his teammate Marco Fabian should not have escaped discipline by any stretch of the imagination. If Gassama needed it to be level, Michael McGlinchey, Ryan Thomas and Durante could’ve left the match as well.

Instead, a terrific match has been left in the lurch. Will FIFA have the guts to issue supplemental discipline ahead of the important final matches of the group stage?

Oscar gets eight-match ban for petulant display in China

Color China Photo via AP
Leave a comment

Oscar‘s antics aren’t missed in the Premier League, and they won’t be missed over the next two months in China.

The 25-year-old Brazilian has been banned for eight matches after igniting a brawl between Shanghai SIPG and Guangzhou (video here) by lashing a pair of shots at defenders and then hitting the ground in comical fashion.

[ MORE: Latest on Ronaldo ]

It’s amazing Oscar lived through the vicious shove (at least this dive didn’t influence a UEFA Champions League match).

While his antics won’t be missed, his playmaking will; It comes as no surprise that Oscar has thrived in the nascent Chinese Super League, posting nine assists and a goal in 13 league matches.

Latest on Ronaldo: PSG offer readied for Perez meeting

Photo by Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Cristiano Ronaldo will meet with Real Madrid president Florentino Perez at the conclusion of the Confederations Cup, according to reports, at which point a pair of cut-and-dried options could be on the table.

Paris, or the status quo.

Marca reports that Ronaldo will bring a “money no object” offer from Paris Saint-Germain into the meeting, although the same outlet says Perez will know exactly what’s coming due to an understanding between the two big money clubs.

[ MORE: Juve confirms Alves release ]

The 32-year-old Ronaldo remains in fine form at the Confederations Cup, with Portugal’s unbeaten run continuing in Russia. If Portugal is upset by New Zealand in its group stage finale on June 24, it would still stand a good chance of proceeding to the knockout rounds depending on the Mexico-Russia result.

That means the Perez-Ronaldo meeting wouldn’t occur until after July 2, which is when the Final and third-place playoff are scheduled in Russia.

In the meantime, Real manager Zinedine Zidane is said to be cutting his vacation short to meet with Perez regarding not just Ronaldo’s future but the club’s pursuit of Kylian Mbappe (which is a bit over-dramatic given the above news. Feels like a phone call could get the job done).