Britain Soccer FA Cup Final

Arsene Wenger to remain as Arsenal boss after FA Cup win

Leave a comment

LONDON — Punching the air with delight at the final whistle. Leaning casually against the railings of the Royal Box during the trophy ceremony. Smiling uncontrollably throughout his press conference.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is a happy man after guiding his side to the FA Cup. He will be around next season too.

Nine years without a trophy has been a huge strain on Wenger and Arsenal but finally their nightmare is over. Finally their trophyless run has come to an end. Wenger confirmed that he will be around next season and is expected to sign a new deal next week.

MORE: Three things we learned from Arsenal’s FA Cup final win

Speaking afterwards about the relief of the dramatic win, Wenger was clearly delighted with his eighth trophy as manager and believes all of the suffering made it worth the wait.

 “It was a relief and happiness because we were under severe pressure to win today,” Wenger said. “We didn’t start well, Hull started strong and we were hesitant. We responded well and we made a demonstration of how not to start the FA Cup final. It is a big moment of happiness. We waited for a long time for that. The happiness is linked sometimes with the suffering and the time you have to wait. That’s why maybe it was a great moment at the end of the game.”

However his expected new deal looked for a long time like it would come alongside a shock cup defeat but his team launched a rousing comeback in the sun at Wembley. After seeing his side trail 2-0 after eight minutes to Hull City, Wenger admitted he was surprised but delighted with the response of his team.

“I was shocked, the next goal against you is  then crucial, they looked dangerous on every set piece. We looked hesitant and you wonder if the shock for the team will not be too hard,” Wenger said. ” This team has a special spirit and togetherness I knew they would try to respond. It was important for us to get back to 2-1 before half time, to not rush our game and to keep calm and structured. Overall in the second half we created many chances.”

RECAP: Arsenal’s incredible comeback wins FA Cup final vs. Hull, first trophy since ’05

Wenger has now won five FA Cups as the Arsenal manager is alongside Sir Alex Ferguson as the men to have won it the most and the Frenchman has won eight major trophies in 18 years in charge of the Gunners. Three PL titles and five FA Cups later, he still enjoys the euphoria surrounding a cup win. He also lauded the mental toughness of his team to fight back when it mattered most and the huge impact that could have for next season and beyond.

“The mental aspect of a game like that is very important,” Wenger said. “Everyone expects you to win and you are 2-0 down. Cup finals in England are special, you saw it last year and again this year. It was an important moment in the life of this time. To lose today certainly would’ve been a major setback and to win provides a good platform to move on and come back even stronger next year.”

Where does the 2014 FA Cup rank all-time for Wenger? Right at the top.

“It was more important today than all the others,” Wenger said. “We have already twice won the double and many times but we were not under the pressure we were under today. I’ve now won it five times. It is not too bad.”

Thibaut Courtois committed to Chelsea despite links to PSG

WATFORD, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 03:  Thibaut Courtois of Chelsea in action during the Barclays Premier League match between Watford and Chelsea at Vicarage Road on February 3, 2016 in Watford, England.  (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Thibaut Courtois has denied reports he could leave London for Paris Saint-Germain this summer after a disappointing season at Chelsea.

The 23-year-old goalkeeper missed a large portion of the season through injury and failed to regain his top form when healthy as the Blues struggled throughout the year.

With a new manager in Antonio Conte taking over in June, some believed Courtois would be sold to allow the Italian to bring in a goalkeeper of his choice.

[ MORE: Atletico Madrid reach UCL final ]

Despite recent reports linking Courtois with a transfer to PSG that would make him the most expensive goalkeeper in the world, the Belgian international does not fancy a move to France.

Speaking to French newspaper Le Parisien, Courtois said he is happy at Chelsea and will “100-percent” be back at Stamford Bridge next season.

I have never had any contact with PSG. I have played a lot against PSG recently – twice last season, again this season in a friendly and twice more in the Champions League this year.

They are a good club who win their league easily. Me, I like playing in England. Paris is a very good club but I am happy at Chelsea.

I have a contract for three years, so I will say 100 per cent [be staying at Chelsea]. Rumours affect any club where things are going badly. People think the top players want to leave because they are not in the Champions League.

Those words show quite a change from Courtois’ opinion a few months ago, when he cast doubt over his Chelsea future.

At just 23, Courtois has already made more than 200 appearances in his career for Atletico Madrid and Chelsea. Although he did not have a standout season this year, Courtois has shown his talent as a potential top-five goalkeeper in the world and Conte would be wise to keep him.

Former CONMEBOL president has petition to stop extradition rejected

leoz
www.t13.cl
Leave a comment

ASUNCION, Paraguay (AP) Paraguay’s top court has rejected a petition by Nicolas Leoz, the former head of the South American football confederation, to halt his extradition to the United States.

Leoz is being held under house arrest in Paraguay. He is accused of receiving millions in bribes and kickbacks and was among dozens of top officials indicted in the FIFA corruption scandal.

[ FOLLOW: Leicester City’s miracle ]

Leoz’s lawyer Ricardo Preda told The Associated Press that his petition was turned down, but that he would continue to appeal against the extradition.

Leoz was the head of CONMEBOL from 1986 until 2013 when he resigned, and was replaced by Eugenio Figueredo of Uruguay.

Figueredo is under house arrest in Uruguay on similar charges. Figueredo was replaced by Juan Angel Napoul of Paraguay, who is under house arrest in Miami.

Cristiano Ronaldo back healthy for Real Madrid; will play vs. Man City

MADRID, SPAIN - MAY 03:  Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid warms up during a training session ahead of the UEFA Champions League Semi Final Second Leg between Real Madrid and Manchester City at Valdebebas training ground on May 3, 2016 in Madrid, Spain.  (Photo by Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane has confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo is “100-percent” for Wednesday’s Champions League semifinal match against Manchester City.

Ronaldo missed the first leg at the Etihad while recovering from a thigh injury, which ended a scoreless draw.

[ MORE: UCL semifinal preview ]

The Champions League’s all-time leading scorer with 93 goals, Ronaldo has not featured for Real since suffering the injury in a La Liga match against Villarreal on April 20.

Real Madrid had the better of chances in the first leg in Manchester, but Joe Hart’s heroics stopped Zidane’s side from grabbing an all-important away goal. However, Ronaldo’s absence was clearly visible and his return is a massive boost for Real.

[ RELATED: Atletico Madrid eliminate Bayern Munich, advance to UCL final ]

Even if Ronaldo is not 100-percent fit as Zidane claims, his inclusion in the lineup is still vital for Real’s success. A threat in so many different aspects of the game, his presence alone can throw off opposing defenses, leaving more time and space for his teammates to expose a City back-line that has its flaws.

Premier League chairman: Leicester City made mugs of all of us

LEICESTER, ENGLAND - MAY 03:  Leicester reacts to Leicester City's Premier League Title Success on May 03, 2016 in Leicester, England.  (Photo by Matthew Lewis/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Premier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore has been around football for a long time, but even he can’t explain Leicester City’s miraculous title run.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s Leicester coverage ]

With the Foxes now officially champions of England, Scudamore hailed the achievement as “the biggest sporting story ever.”

Speaking to BBC Sport, the Premier League’s top exec said Leicester’s run has silenced all the bookmakers and critics who said it could never happen, but that he wouldn’t want it any other way.

It’s probably the biggest sporting story ever and the biggest sporting achievement ever.

Nobody saw it coming and even when it was halfway through the season nobody said it could be sustained.

We don’t know what the future holds because we’ve all become completely hopeless at predicting anything, including the bookmakers and everybody else – because this one nobody saw coming.

It’s made mugs of all of us and that is just the most fantastic feeling.

If the bookmakers had it as a 5,000-1 event, you would imagine you should achieve these type of things once every 5,000 years. It gives us 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years of being able to say: ‘Leicester 2016. Just remember Leicester 2016.’

Pegged as pre-season favorites for relegation, Leicester defied the odds (5,000-1 odds) and claimed the most unlikely of championships. A top executive with the Premier League since 1999, even Scudamore had to admit he had a bit of egg on his face.

[ VOTE: What is the top moment from Leicester’s fairytale run? ]

Scudamore may not have believed in the Foxes, but few outside the city really did. One thing the chairman did have right though, is that we will all remember ‘Leicester 2016.’