Even when Manchester United aren’t playing, their bad luck still manages to continue. First came the news that transfer talks between United and Southampton’s teenage phenom, Luke Shaw, had stalled. Now, Dutch star Arjen Robben says he won’t be joining the Red Devils.
As soon as the links between Louis van Gaal and Manchester United began, so too came the speculation on who the new manager would bring into the side. The last club he managed was Bayern Munich, so many believed he’d be raiding the Bundesliga to pick up talented, affordable players. Add to that the fact that van Gaal was currently in charge of the Netherlands national team, and it was no surprise when reports began to surface that Dutch players would be making their way to Old Trafford.
And what do you get when you combine Bundesliga players with Dutch nationality? Why, Arjen Robben, of course. At Bayern since 2009, he’d previously played under van Gaal, and is currently tipped to be heading to Brazil with the oranje.
There’s no indication that Manchester United made a formal approach for the winger, but Robben went ahead and squashed the rumor anyway. He told Holland’s biggest newspaper, De Telegraaf, that leaving his current club was not an option:
I cannot imagine why Bayern would want to lose me. I just renewed my contract and we are happy with each other. It’s very different when you’re not completely happy. I had a fantastic time with Van Gaal at FC Bayern and know what I have with him. Van Gaal and Guardiola are the best trainers I have worked with. I feel good so will stay where I am. The chance is zero that I make the switch.
So it’s back to the drawing board for United, but worry not, fans. At least you won’t have to defend Robben’s alleged dives and constant appeals to the referee.
Middlesbrough has impressed at times during its return to the Premier League this season, and now the club looks to bolster its backline as the transfer window closes.
[ MORE: Aguero could miss Manchester derby after FA charge ]
The club announced the loan signing of Arsenal defender Calum Chambers on Tuesday, providing the Boro with a promising young player to contribute in the back.
Chambers, 21, has made 58 appearances in the PL with both the Gunners and Southampton, while also earning three caps for England.
Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka revaled his excitement over the signing, while also stating that the player addresses a big need on the backline.
“I’m really pleased,” said Karanka. “It’s a position where we’ve been working towards bringing the right player in. We haven’t been in a hurry because Calum was the player we were waiting for, and he’s going to help us a lot.”
The Gunners have been heavily criticized for not spending enough during the transfer season, however, Arsene Wenger has gotten the man he wanted to help out defensively.
[ MORE: Rooney retiring from England after 2018 World Cup ]
Arsenal announced the signing of Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi on Tuesday, after the German centerback had been previously been linked to the club for some time as their top transfer target.
Mustafi will likely figure immediately into the Arsenal defense, which has also added Rob Holding this summer. The 24-year-old made over 64 appearances for Valencia while in La Liga after beginning his academy career in England with Everton.
Hope Solo hasn’t had the best couple of weeks since the U.S. Women’s National Team bailed out of the 2016 Olympics.
On Tuesday, the U.S. keeper announced her decision to take a step back from her club team as well after receiving a six-month ban from U.S. Soccer.
The veteran American shot stopper took to Twitter to make her decision known, leaving her status unknown with the Seattle Reign in the future. Solo remains under contract until the end of the current campaign, however, it is not known as to how her decision to sit out will affect her financially.
Solo wil be eligible to return to the USWNT in February, but it will be up to head coach Jill Ellis to reintroduce the 35-year-old into the fold.
U.S. Men’s National Team and LA Galaxy forward Gyasi Zardes will miss the rest of the MLS regular season with a broken bone in his right foot.
It was initially believed on Monday that the U.S. attacker could be out until the end of 2016 after suffering the injury in Saturday’s 0-0 draw against the Vancouver Whitecaps.
Zardes was taken down by Whitecaps defender Kendall Waston during the latter stages of the match, with the Costa Rican apparently catching the inside of the 24-year-old’s foot, ultimately causing the injury.
Because of his extended absence, Zardes was ruled out of consideration for the USMNT squad ahead of their upcoming CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches vs. St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad & Tobago.