Tottenham Hotspur are in hot pursuit of a new manager, after parting ways with Tim Sherwood shortly after the Premier League season ended. But the man many thought would be in charge of Spurs next season says the club haven’t been in touch in weeks.
Back in April, when Sherwood was still on the bench, Frank de Boer, who’d turned down the chance to speak with Tottenham after André Villas-Boas was sacked, said that the club had been in touch. Apparently Spurs had contacted Ajax, asking about the ability of their manager.
But now it’s almost June, and Spurs haven’t followed up on their promise to call. No letter, no email, no nothing – neither de Boer or Ajax have heard a word. De Boer said that he doesn’t know if Spurs will be in touch, but that he’s happy at Ajax.
If not the Ajax manager, then who? There’s a long list of coaches hanging out in the unemployment lines right now: David Moyes, most recently at Manchester United; Michael Laudrup, sacked from Swansea in February; and Neil Lennon, who left Celtic earlier this week.
Apparently, bringing in someone unattached isn’t in Tottenham’s game plan. Perhaps Daniel Levy thinks it screams of failure, and would instead like to woo his ninth manager away from a team. After all, Villas-Boas was without a job when Spurs brought him in, and look how well that turned out.
Really, though, it’s likely de Boer hasn’t been contacted because Spurs have their eyes set on one man. It makes most sense that the club will wait to see how negotiations with Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino pan out before determining if they need to move on to any other candidates.
Middlesbrough has impressed at times during its return to the Premier League this season, and now the club looks to bolster its backline as the transfer window closes.
[ MORE: Aguero could miss Manchester derby after FA charge ]
The club announced the loan signing of Arsenal defender Calum Chambers on Tuesday, providing the Boro with a promising young player to contribute in the back.
Chambers, 21, has made 58 appearances in the PL with both the Gunners and Southampton, while also earning three caps for England.
Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka revaled his excitement over the signing, while also stating that the player addresses a big need on the backline.
“I’m really pleased,” said Karanka. “It’s a position where we’ve been working towards bringing the right player in. We haven’t been in a hurry because Calum was the player we were waiting for, and he’s going to help us a lot.”
The Gunners have been heavily criticized for not spending enough during the transfer season, however, Arsene Wenger has gotten the man he wanted to help out defensively.
[ MORE: Rooney retiring from England after 2018 World Cup ]
Arsenal announced the signing of Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi on Tuesday, after the German centerback had been previously been linked to the club for some time as their top transfer target.
Mustafi will likely figure immediately into the Arsenal defense, which has also added Rob Holding this summer. The 24-year-old made over 64 appearances for Valencia while in La Liga after beginning his academy career in England with Everton.
Hope Solo hasn’t had the best couple of weeks since the U.S. Women’s National Team bailed out of the 2016 Olympics.
On Tuesday, the U.S. keeper announced her decision to take a step back from her club team as well after receiving a six-month ban from U.S. Soccer.
The veteran American shot stopper took to Twitter to make her decision known, leaving her status unknown with the Seattle Reign in the future. Solo remains under contract until the end of the current campaign, however, it is not known as to how her decision to sit out will affect her financially.
Solo wil be eligible to return to the USWNT in February, but it will be up to head coach Jill Ellis to reintroduce the 35-year-old into the fold.
U.S. Men’s National Team and LA Galaxy forward Gyasi Zardes will miss the rest of the MLS regular season with a broken bone in his right foot.
It was initially believed on Monday that the U.S. attacker could be out until the end of 2016 after suffering the injury in Saturday’s 0-0 draw against the Vancouver Whitecaps.
Zardes was taken down by Whitecaps defender Kendall Waston during the latter stages of the match, with the Costa Rican apparently catching the inside of the 24-year-old’s foot, ultimately causing the injury.
Because of his extended absence, Zardes was ruled out of consideration for the USMNT squad ahead of their upcoming CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches vs. St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad & Tobago.