Gus Poyet

Good to be Gus: Poyet extends deal at Sunderland through 2016

Leave a comment

The Gus Bus will remain parked at the Stadium of Light for the foreseeable future as Sunderland manager Gus Poyet extended his contract with the Black Cats through 2016 on Wednesday.

“I am delighted to extend my stay with Sunderland AFC, after an unbelievable season and our famous great escape,” Poyet said referring to his side’s 14th place finish in the Premier League after being at the bottom at the mid-point of the season.

The Uruguayan manager, who took over for an unhinged Paolo Di Canio in October 2013, had been linked with a number of potential moves away from Sunderland with Southampton becoming late favorites to capture his eye. But the 46-year-old stuck recommitted to the Wearside club hoping to build on this past season’s success.

From Sky Sports:

“Stability is absolutely key to long-term and sustained success for any football club, and this new contract gives both the club and me that stability going forward.

“Now it’s a different challenge for me and the club and I am relishing the next stage with Sunderland. We achieved so much last season, working together – the club and the fans – and we took many good memories from the season.

“The prospect of creating more of those memories is one which excites me, and now I cannot wait for the next chapter in my career and the history of Sunderland AFC.”

In addition to Sunderland’s impressive 14th place finish, Poyet also drove the Black Cats to the Capital One Cup final where they lost 3-1 to Manchester City. From all indications Poyet will be handed significant funds to build a squad of his own liking this summer after inheriting a team that Di Canio built last summer when he brought in 12 new players.

After struggling with the personnel left to him Poyet made some strategic moves last January, bringing in Sebastien Vergini and Marcos Alonso to firm up a leaky defense and Liam Bridcutt to add grit to the defensive midfield. His true stroke of genius, however, was recalling Connor Wickham from loan and setting the 21-year-old free to score five goals in a three match span and help drag Sunderland out of the relegation zone.


Everton’s John Stones out of England squad with injury

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 12: John Stones of Everton clears during the Barclays Premier League match between Everton and Chelsea at Goodison Park on September 12, 2015 in Liverpool, United Kingdom.  (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

John Stones has been ruled out of England’s upcoming EURO qualifiers after suffering a knee injury while playing for Everton.

The 21-year-old center-back has missed Everton’s last two Premier League matches, and was unable to recover in time for England’s qualifiers this weekend.

Manager Roy Hodgson has called in Tottenham’s Andros Townsend and Kyle Walker as replacements for the absent Stones.

[ REPORTS: Klopp, Liverpool making quick progress ]

England has already qualified for EURO 2016 with a perfect record in Group E, winning all eight of their matches. With upcoming games against Estonia and Lithuania, Hodgson has said he will experiment a bit with some new players, which lessens the impact of Stones’ injury.

Despite the match being meaningless in terms of a result, players will still be eager to impress the manager in an effort to lock up a spot on the final roster for the tournament in June.

Manchester United’s Luke Shaw is out for an extended period of time after breaking his leg in the Champions League, while Everton’s Leighton Baines hasn’t played since August after undergoing ankle surgery.

[ RELATED: Samir Nasri rules out a return to France squad, hints at MLS move ]

Southampton’s Ryan Bertrand has been recalled to the side, and said he will try to grab the left-back position “by the scruff of the neck.”

Liverpool’s Danny Ings was given his first call-up and Swansea City’s Jonjo Shelvey returns to the fold, although both players missed training with injuries and their status moving forward is uncertain.

Landon Donovan: Klinsmann should be fired if USMNT loses to Mexico

WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 04: Head coach Jurgen Klinsmann of the United States looks on before playing Peru during an international friendly at RFK Stadium on September 4, 2015 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Landon Donovan and Jurgen Klinsmann haven’t had the rosiest of relationships.

Since being left off of the 2014 World Cup roster and retiring from the game, Donovan has often been critical of Klinsmann and his tenure with the USMNT.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s USMNT coverage ]

Ahead of Saturday’s CONCACAF playoff match against Mexico, Donovan said he believes Klinsmann should be fired if the United States loses.

Speaking to ESPN FC:

Around the world, if a player plays poorly and a player has a bad string of results, they get dropped from the team.

Jurgen said many times he wants our players to feel pressure — so if they lose a game they can’t go to the grocery store the next day. If they lose a game, they are getting hammered in the press.

Well, the same holds true for the coach, and so we had a very poor summer with bad results in the Gold Cup. The last game against Brazil was probably the worst game I’ve seen them play under Jurgen.

The reality is that now, anywhere else in the world, if this coach had those results, and they lose this game against Mexico, they’d be fired.

I think if Jurgen wants to hold all the players to that standard, then he has to be held to that standard too.

Heading into the Gold Cup this summer on the heels of some great wins over the Netherlands and Germany, the United States’ performance was wildly disappointing, losing in the semifinals to Jamaica and finishing in fourth place.

[ RELATED: Top moments from USMNT vs. Mexico ]

President of U.S. Soccer Sunil Gulati has shown great faith in Klinsmann, giving him a contract until 2018 as both manager and technical director of the program. However, pressure has been building after a string of poor results.

For Klinsmann, this is arguably his biggest match in charge of the USMNT. Not only does it have implications for the Confederations Cup in 2017, but it is also against Mexico, which always puts added pressure on a manager. If the U.S. loses, more people than Donovan will be calling for a change.