According to multiple outlets in the UK, Arsene Wenger’s long-awaited contract as Arsenal manager has finally be signed.
Wenger, 64, is said to have put pen to paper on a three-year deal which both the BBC and Sky Sports are confirming. However no official word has yet come from the North London club where Wenger has been in charge since September 1996, winning eight major titles so far.
If these reports are true, it brings to an end almost an entire year of talk surrounding Wenger’s contract and will finally stop the constant badgering the Frenchman receives regarding his new deal during every single press conference he performs.
After sealing the clubs first piece of silverware in nine years by collecting the FA Cup at the end of an up and down 2013-14 campaign, Wenger could have done two things: call it quits or start an entire new rebuild.
It seems like Wenger has opted for the latter as his deal will be signed on Saturday, according to the reports, with the Frenchman wanting everything sorted out before he jets off to the World Cup in Brazil.
Guiding Arsenal to 17 consecutive UEFA Champions League appearances is an incredible achievement, especially after his transfer kitty diminished considerably while the club paid off money they owed on their new Emirates Stadium instead and the former Monaco coach had to get creative with transfers. However Wenger could now be handed more cash in the upcoming transfer window, as Arsenal led the way until January last season but then limped towards the finishing line and eventually secured fourth spot.
More news on this as and when it becomes official. However after being in Wenger’s post-match press conference following the FA Cup final win, I can confirm he was very relaxed and confident that this deal was going to be signed.
Looks like Arsenal’s boss is sticking around into his mid-60’s. At least.
After 45 minutes of their respective CONCACAF Champions League knockout-round quests, things are going unnervingly well for the Seattle Sounders and New York Red Bulls.
[ MORE: FC Dallas disappoint in CCL; Club America flying ]
If you’ve watched Major League Soccer teams try, try and try again — only to eventually fail in spectacular fashion — in CCL over the years, you might say things are going a little too well.
There’s still another 45 minutes to be played on Thursday — plus the return legs next week — but both the Sounders and Red Bulls hold 1-0 halftime leads, and the vitally important away goals which come with it. Nicolas Lodeiro’s 45-yard, first-time lob of the Santa Tecla (El Salvador) goalkeeper in the 15th minute has already been eternally etched into the memories of Sounders fans.
Just 15 minutes later, Daniel Royer perfectly executed the diving header and got on the end of Bradley Wright-Phillips’ curling ball into the box to Jesse Marsch’s side ahead of Honduran side CD Olimpia.
MADRID (AP) A Spanish judge has charged Villarreal defender Ruben Semedo with attempted murder and ordered him to be temporarily detained without bail.
Court officials in Lliria say on Thursday the Portuguese player is also charged with assault, robbery, illegal detention, and illegal possession of firearms.
Semedo testified before a judge on Thursday, and left the court in handcuffs.
The 23-year-old Semedo was detained early Tuesday, accused of tying up, assaulting and threatening another man last week. Authorities say he and two other men allegedly held the victim captive while they robbed his apartment.
Semedo’s agents told Spanish media the player denies any wrongdoing.
Villarreal on Tuesday said it was investigating Semedo and would take appropriate disciplinary action.
Villarreal signed Semedo from Sporting Lisbon last summer for a reported fee of $17 million.
Perhaps Sunday’s League Cup final had already reached the forefront of their minds, but Arsene Wenger admonished his players, whom he said were “complacent, not focused” and “had no ideas” for much of Thursday’s Europa League defeat, at home, to Swedish side Ostersunds.
[ MORE: Premier League TV schedule | Man United vs. Chelsea ]
The Gunners advanced to the round of 16 on the back of their 3-0 first-leg victory last week, but Wenger was understandably displeased by the effort he saw and expressed such feelings in no uncertain terms, before quickly easing up and praising the fact they were able to pull back a goal against the current fifth-place team from Sweden — quotes from the BBC:
“We were not at the races in the first half,” said Wenger, who saw his side booed off at half-time and full-time. I think in the second half it was much better and we should have scored a few goals.
“In the first half, we were in trouble and in danger because we were complacent, not focused and were open every time we lost the ball. We had no ideas with the ball and that’s why we were in trouble.
“We responded very well because we did the job to qualify, but that’s what we have to take from the night and that’s all.”
With Arsenal now trailing fourth-place Chelsea by eight points (and seven back of fifth-place Tottenham Hotspur), winning the Europa League might just be the Gunners’ last chance at qualifying for next season’s Champions League.
Borussia Dortmund striker Michy Batshuayi says he was subject to racist chants from Atalanta fans during a Europa League game in Italy.
The Belgium international, on loan from Chelsea, tweeted:
Dortmund advanced to the round of 16 by drawing 1-1 to beat Atalanta 4-3 on aggregate on Thursday.
The game was played at Mapei Stadium in Reggio Emilia because Atalanta’s home stadium is unsuitable for UEFA games.
There have been several incidents of racism at Serie A matches this season.