Barcelona's Cesc Fabregas celebrates a goal against Malaga during their Spanish first division soccer match at Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona

Chelsea set to bid $45 million for Barcelona’s Cesc Fabregas, as rumors heat up

1 Comment

With Cesc Fabregas rumored to be available this summer, the Barcelona midfielder is a man in demand.

Last summer Manchester United chased him, unsuccessfully, but this summer it could be another Premier League courting Cesc.

Chelsea have their eye on the 27-year-old Spaniard.

As PST’s Richard Farley mentioned on Monday, Fabregas would be a great fit for Chelsea and the West London club could prove much more successful in luring the Spanish international away from the Nou Camp and his boyhood club Barcelona.

According to reports from the Daily Telegraph, Chelsea are said to be mulling over a $45 million bid for the Barca star who has been told he can move on by new boss Luis Enrique. With old club Arsenal not wanting to take up their option of re-signing Fabregas and his desire to remain in the UEFA Champions League next season, it seems as though Chelsea could be a logical fit.

Fabregas is seen as a perfect long-term replacement for Frank Lampard, who announced on Monday that he will not be signing a new contract at Stamford Bridge. With Barcelona pursuing Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke and willing to let Fabregas leave, it seems as though the Spaniard who joined Arsenal at the age of 16 could be heading back to London.

He wouldn’t be part of UEFA’s strict Financial Fair Play rules either as Fabregas was brought up through the ranks at Arsenal and his availability is said to have put him right at the top of Jose Mourinho’s wishlist.

Would Fabregas fit in well at Chelsea?

Mourinho is trying to develop a new style of pass and move with quick, incisive counter attacks and Fabregas would compliment the likes of Oscar, Willian and Eden Hazard superbly. Good on the ball, an eye for the pass and able to operate in a holding role or further forward, the former Arsenal skipper has it all in his locker. Some question his physicality levels in the PL but he’s simply that good on the ball and his movement often sees him ghost past opposition players.

Rumors of Chelsea stepping up their pursuit of Fabregas are rife and it seems as though he will be at the center of yet another summer transfer saga.

Will this one turn out to be successful and see Fabregas return to the English top-flight?

VIDEO: Marco Verratti plays a brilliant pass to Eder for Italy goal

PALERMO, ITALY - SEPTEMBER 06:  Marco Verratti of Italy in action during the UEFA EURO 2016 Qualifier match between Italy and Bulgaria on September 6, 2015 in Palermo, Italy.  (Photo by Claudio Villa/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Italy took a 1-0 lead over Azerbaijan through the in-form Eder in the 11th minute, but the true leg-work (see what I did there) came from bite-sized midfielder Marco Verratti.

The PSG playmaker pinged a beautiful long ball over the top of the Azerbaijan defense that fell right at the feet of Eder, who let the ball settle itself and touched home confidently past Kamran Arhayev for a 1-0 lead.

The goal is the second of Eder’s national career in just five caps, having scored on debut against Bulgaria back in March. He has six goals in seven matches for Sampdoria so far this Serie A season.

Italy needs three points in this match to ensure qualification to Euro 2016. A win would guarantee them a place in the field, while anything less would mean there is work to do in the final match on Tuesday against Norway.


Later in the match, Stephan El Shaarawy gave Italy a 2-1 lead just before halftime, his second career international goal and his first since September of 2012 which came in his third career start.

Agent: Liverpool contacted Klopp only after Rodgers firing

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 09:  Jurgen Klopp arrives to be unveiled as the new manager of Liverpool FC at a press conference at Anfield on October 9, 2015 in Liverpool, England.  (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

As soon as Brendan Rodgers was dismissed by Liverpool on Sunday, Jurgen Klopp’s name was tossed around as the likely successor to the then-vacant Liverpool managerial position.

However, according to Klopp’s representatve Marc Kosicke, Liverpool did not make contact with the German until after Rodgers had been officially let go.

“The first call from Liverpool came after the dismissal as coach of Rodgers,” Kosicke told Bild. “Before Liverpool there were naturally quite a few inquiries. But Jurgen always asked me not to take it any further.”

Club management was less committal than Klopp’s rep, but did say they had their eye on the German for some time. “We have learned to keep certain matters confidential. We had a meeting recently with Jurgen that he has talked about and I don’t want to talk too much about these conversations. But we have thought about him for a long time and everyone who knows football knows he is an outstanding manager.”

It’s relatively hard to believe Liverpool would have canned Rodgers without knowing for sure that a top-level target such as Klopp or Carlo Ancelotti were on board to replace him. It also would mean discussions of the contract terms and logistics would have moved at lightning speed, with just four days between the Rodgers dismissal and Klopp’s official unveiling.