PSG could bid $102 million for Eden Hazard but will the Belgian leave?

1 Comment

Chelsea have handed Belgian star Eden Hazard the No. 10 shirt as Jose Mourinho aims to build his team around the  reigning Premier League Young Player of the Year.

Hazard, 23, has become a symbol of the ‘new Chelsea’ as the Blues continue to replace experienced veterans with promising youngsters at Stamford Bridge

However the Belgian superstar continues to be linked with a move away from West London, as French powerhouse Paris Saint-Germain are said to be weighing up a mammoth $102 million bid for Hazard, if you believe reports in the Daily Mail.

The man himself seems happy to remain at Chelsea, especially after being given the iconic No. 10 shirt previously worn by Juan Mata. Hazard explained to the clubs website that being given that shirt is a symbol of great pride.

“I am very pleased to be able to wear the number 10 for Chelsea,” Hazard said. “It is my favorite number and is one I am used to wearing for the national team, as well as the one worn by some of my heroes from when I was a kid, like Zinedine Zidane. I hope it brings me a lot of luck in the future and I look forward to the fans seeing me in it next season.”

That doesn’t sound like a man about to move to PSG, does it?

Although interestingly enough, Hazard’s father and agent has also been speaking out about a potential transfer and wasn’t quite as emphatic about the Belgian boy wonder being at Chelsea next season.

“I read transfer news on Eden every day, but at this moment nothing has happened,” Thierry Hazard told the Belgian media. “Eden had asked me one thing, that he can focus on the World Cup. There will be no transfer news during the World Cup.”

Despite seeing Hazard being handed the No. 10 shirt, it will be an anxious wait for Chelsea fans to see if Hazard will leave for PSG and follow his teammate David Luiz who recently jumped ship to the French champions in a $75 million transfer.

Every player has their price and $102 million, especially given all of the Financial Fair Play restrictions clubs have to operate within, is a lot of money.

Juan Carlos Osorio to become new Mexico boss

Leave a comment

Mexico looks to have found a new manager in Juan Carlos Osorio.

Osorio, who had stints managing in Major League Soccer with the Chicago Fire and New York Red Bulls, was most recently coaching in Brazil with Sao Paulo.

However, the Brazilian club released a statement today that Osorio had decided to step down from his position in order to take the Mexico job.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s USMNT coverage ]

Following Miguel Herrera’s firing in July, Ricardo Ferretti was named interim manager of El Tri, and will coach the side in Saturday’s CONCACAF playoff match against the United States. However, Ferretti has stated he will not stay with Mexico past that match, and will return to Liga MX, where he serves as manager of Tigres UANL.

Osorio had recently been linked with the Mexico job, but said he would take his time in making a decision.

His only other exposure to Mexican football came during a short stint in Liga MX managing Puebla. He lasted just seven matches before resigning and returning to manage in his native Colombia.

[ RELATED: Donovan says Klinsmann should be fired if USMNT loses to Mexico ]

He was in line to take charge of the Honduras national team in 2011, but he was unable to get out of the contract with the Colombian team he was managing at the time.

There has been no official confirmation of the hiring from the Mexican Federation.

Benzema and Benitez in a war of words at Real Madrid

MADRID, SPAIN - SEPTEMBER 26: Head coach Rafael Benitez (R) of Real Madrid CF gives instructions to his player Karim Benzema (L) during the La Liga match between Real Madrid CF and Malaga CF at Estadio Santiago Bernabeu on September 26, 2015 in Madrid, Spain.  (Photo by Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Karim Benzema has scored six goals in his eight appearances for Real Madrid this season, and is currently the top scorer in La Liga.

Despite being in great form, Benzema has continuously been substituted by manager Rafa Benitez, which has upset the French striker.

Benzema opened the scoring for Real in the Madrid derby over the weekend, but was taken off in the 77th minute. Atletico would go on to score minutes later as the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

[ RELATED: Top moments from USMNT vs. Mexico ]

Speaking after the game, Benzema said he was “fed up” with being taken off, but will continue to work to help his team.

Substitutions are what the coach decides, I’m just there to help my teammates.

It’s true I’m fed up of being taken off. I’m calm and will continue to work so I’m not always subtituted. He took me off to get a result, for defensive reasons.

It’s true that the electronic board always shows the No.9. Ask Benitez why that is.

When told about Benzema’s comments, Benitez said he made the change for tactical reasons, as Real was in the lead and he replaced the striker with a more defensive-minded player in midfielder Mateo Kovacic.

I needed to give the team some balance at that point in the game. I’m a huge fan of Benzema. If I were Karim, I’d also be angry at being taken off when I thought I was playing well and was on a great run of form.

What I’d do if I were Karim is score more goals so that next time I don’t have to be taken off and can say, ‘Hey, here I am.’

Benitez’s response comes off as a backhanded compliment, asking Benzema to “score more goals,” despite the player leading La Liga in scoring. In fact, Benzema has averaged a goal every 84 minutes this season, an incredible strike rate.

[ RELATED: Chelsea release statement on Jose Mourinho’s future ]

Over the summer, Benzema was linked with a move away from Real Madrid, but he constantly denied the rumors and said he never thought about leaving the club, which he called the best in the world. Just a few matches into the new season, there may be some trouble in paradise.