Belgium leaves it late, eventually take all three points from Russia

Leave a comment

Did you make it through Belgium vs. Russia without falling asleep? It was a tough one, a tactical battle that even the biggest tactics nerds would’ve found difficult to describe as “interesting”. In the end, though, Belgium squeaked out a 1-0 win, putting them through to the Round of 16.

Just like in yesterday’s opening match, the first half of Belgium vs. Russia was rather quiet. Fabio Capello had, as expected, instructed his team to sit back and defend, only venturing forward on rare counterattacks. Caution won out and the staunch Russia defense was able to keep Belgium’s potent attack rather quiet, although Dries Mertens proved to be quite a handful down the right.

With over 30 minutes left to play, Marc Wilmots made the decision to once again replace Romelu Lukaku. The forward had been disappointing once more, seeing barely any of the ball and failing to put himself into decent positions to receive it. 19-year-old Divock Origi took his place, and almost immediately pushed forward into the area.

The best that could be said for the second half is that Russia came out of their shell a bit more, getting forward with more regularity. However, they were still unable to do much with the ball once they were there. In fact, with both teams employing more caution than attacking intent, it came as little surprise that neutral fans could be spotted sleeping in the stands.

The crowd managed to rouse itself in the 81st minute, when a break left substitute Andrey Eshchenko unmarked. He dragged his shot wide, however, and the murmurs of interest quickly turned to boos around the Maracanã. The crowd was enlivened once more when Kevin Mirallas hit the post.

Belgium were finally waking up, and that proved fatal to Russia. The goal finally came through a fast counter attack. Eden Hazard sprinted to the byline before cutting back, slipping the ball to Origi. The young striker slotted home from close range, giving Belgium their second consecutive win.


Belgium: Courtois, Alderweireld, Van Buyten, Kompany, Vermaelen (Vertonghen 31); Witsel, Fellaini; Mertens (Mirallas 75), De Bruyne, Hazard; Lukaku (Origi 57)

Russia: Akinfeev, Kozlov (Eshchenko 62), Ignashevich, Kanunnikov, Glushakov, Kokorin, Berezutskiy, Shatov (Dzagoev 83), Samedov (Kerzhakov 90), Fayzulin, Kombarov

Ferguson still being asked about Moyes: “We chose a good football man”

David Moyes Alex Ferguson
AP Photo/Martin Rickett/PA
Leave a comment

In some ways absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it seems Sir Alex Ferguson‘s life after Manchester United has been filled with second guessing.

Whether the sales of Paul Pogba and Gerard Pique or the appointment of David Moyes, “Fergie” apparently can’t rest on his title-winning laurels.

[ MORE: Tax evasion charges dropped against Messi, but not his father ]

One thing that seems to bug him more than anything, though, is the idea that he hand-picked David Moyes to be his successor, and should be responsible for his failings.

In a new documentary, Ferguson both defends the appointment of Moyes and explains the process behind his choice.

From the BBC:

“I don’t think we made a mistake at all. I think we chose a good football man,” Ferguson says. “Unfortunately it didn’t work for David.

“Jose Mourinho was going back to Chelsea, Carlo Ancelotti was going to Real Madrid, Jurgen Klopp had signed a contract with Dortmund, Louis Van Gaal was staying with Holland for the World Cup.”

The article also makes another key point, according to Ferguson: the manager claims he only gave United a few months notice that he’d be stepping down. That certainly didn’t provide a lot of lead time to secure a big boss.

What do you make it of it? If your answer is, “When can we stop talking about Moyes and United?” I tend to be with you, but it’s a talking point.

Tax evasion charges against Messi dropped; Case vs father continues

FILE - In this Sept. 27, 2013 file photo, Barcelona F.C. star Lionel Messi, left, arrives at a court to answer questions in a tax fraud case in Gava, near Barcelona, Spain. Barcelona prosecutors are calling for the arrest of Messi's father in a tax fraud case. Prosecutors have cleared Messi of wrongdoing but are seeking an 18-month prison sentence for his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, for allegedly defrauding Spain's tax office of 4 million euros ($4.5 million) in unpaid taxes from 2007-09. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti, File)
AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti
Leave a comment

Lionel Messi will not face charges that he and his father defrauded the government in millions of unpaid taxes, though his father is not so lucky.

Messi’s father, Jorge, could face 18 months in jail and an approximate $2.25 million fine despite a voluntary payment of $5.5 million in 2013 to “correct” the missed taxes.

[ WATCH: Hilarious spoof pegs Messi, Ronaldo as “Friends” ]

The Barcleona star had plead ignorance to the charges, something that failed to impress prosecutors. But, it apparently worked out in his favor on Tuesday.

From the BBC:

Prosecutors allege that Jorge avoiding paying tax on his son’s earnings by using offshore companies in Belize and Uruguay between 2007 and 2009.

Messi’s lawyers argued that the player had “never devoted a minute of his life to reading, studying or analysing” the contracts, El Pais newspaper reported.