A FIFA spokesperson has confirmed that the world soccer governing body is gathering information in the wake of Luis Suárez’s latest biting incident, but according to the governing body’s disciplinary code, the maximum punishment at the organization’s disposal is two years. To this point, no punishment for behavior during a World Cup has approached that sanction.
Per reporting from The Telegraph, the longest suspension ever handed down during the finals is eight games – the sanction Italy’s Mauro Tassotti received after breaking Spain’s Luis Enrique’s nose in 1994. Brazilian defender Leonardo was suspended for four-games for an elbow that fractured U.S. midfielder’s Tab Ramos’s skull in the same tournament, while Zinedine Zidane was given a three-match ban for head butting Italian defender Marco Matterazzi in 2006.
The obvious difference here: Suárez is a repeat offender. Though his previous episodes have been at club-level, those incidents will likely inform how FIFA handles today’s behavior. Coming off last year’s 10-game ban for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic, Suárez’s latest action might take FIFA into uncharted territory.
[ MORE: Suárez bites Chiellini | Predictable | How long to ban ]
From The Telegraph:
A Fifa spokesperson said: “We are awaiting the official match reports and will gather all the necessary elements in order to evaluate the matter.”
Fifa’s disciplinary code sets a maximum ban of 24 matches or two years, but the longest ban in World Cup history was eight games for Italy’s Mauro Tassotti for breaking Spain’s Luis Enrique’s nose in 1994 with an elbow …
Fifa’s disciplinary code allows action to be taken retrospectively via video evidence even if the incident has been seen by the referee.
Article 77 of Fifa’s disciplinary code states the disciplinary committee is responsible for “sanctioning serious infringements which have escaped the match officials’ attention” and “rectifying obvious errors in the referee’s disciplinary decisions”.
That brings us back to the question Joseph Prince-Wright tried to answer earlier today: How long should Suárez be banned? England set a standard with 10 (lower stakes) games. The maximum is 24 months. Should the ban be based on games played (with 24 being the maximum)? Or have we reached the point where Suárez needs to take a set period of time off?
And to what end? If, as we discussed later today, this problem may not be correctable, the whole goal of the punishment needs to be reassessed. Providing a deterrent for Suárez may be irrelevant. Punishment may be more about justice, as well as deterring other, less impulse-driven players from doing the same.
The deeper we dig, the more complicated the Suárez picture becomes, but with Uruguay set to play against on Saturday, we should have an answer soon. For the second straight tournament, the Uruguayan star will likely serve a suspension in the knockout round.
Tottenham Hotspur’s depth means it can wait out Everton as the Toffees demand plenty of money for young star Ross Barkley.
The 23-year-old England international won’t sign a new deal with Everton, and Ronald Koeman has been clear that he’s ready to cash in on the wantaway midfielder.
[ MORE: Latest on Ronaldo ]
Spurs are interested according to Sky Sports, but rolling their eyes at a requested fee of close to $64 million. So the North Londoners will wait, a move that makes sense given Barkley’s up-and-down form.
The Liverpool Echo says that Koeman is close to making it official with Sandro Ramirez, as the ex-Barcelona prospect will join Jordan Pickford and Davy Klaassen as new Toffees in a $7 million deal.
The BBC says Koeman will quickly move onto two more transfers, aiming to woo Gylfi Sigurdsson from Swansea City and center back Michael Keane from Burnley.
The Manchester Evening News says Manchester United is close to reuniting Jose Mourinho with defensive midfielder Nemanja Matic.
The tough-minded Serbian turns 29 in August, and would give Mourinho flexibility with Paul Pogba and Ander Herrera. United also has Michael Carrick as a deep-lying option.
Matic has 121 Premier League appearances and two titles since returning to Chelsea in January 2014.
BERLIN (AP) The German soccer federation is mulling a proposal to allow China’s under-20 team to play friendly matches in the fourth tier of its league system.
Because the Southwest Regional League is comprised of 19 clubs, each currently has two match-days free that can be used for friendly games. The one-off action would allow China’s under-20 team to prepare for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.
[ MORE: Juve confirms Alves release ]
“Nothing has been fixed yet but the clubs are all in favor,” league president Felix Wiedemann told The Associated Press on Thursday. “There’s a lot of interest in it. It’s important to say that there will be no points at stake, so it won’t influence the outcome of the league.”
Clubs would receive about 15,000 euros ($16,700) in compensation for two home games against the Chinese side, if the plan is approved. The Chinese are planning on a base near Heidelberg in the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg.
Southwest Regional League members are meeting on July 11, when a decision will likely be made in consultation with the German soccer federation, Wiedemann said. The league kicks off at the end of the month.
China and Germany agreed to a five-year soccer partnership last November, aimed at developing the game in China with training and other programs.
Australia and Cameroon fight for their Confederations Cup lives on Thursday at 11 a.m.ET live on Telemundo Deportes.
[ WATCH LIVE: Cameroon vs. Chile on Telemundo Deportes ]
Cameroon will have its top attacker in the form of Vincent Aboubakar in its bid to overcome an opening loss to Chile, while Australia will hope goalkeeper Maty Ryan can get the job done following a 3-2 loss to Germany.
Germany and Chile square off at 2 p.m. ET.
Multiple reports claim Crystal Palace has offered its managerial position to Dutch boss Frank De Boer.
Palace has been without a manager since Sam Allardyce retired after the season. The Eagles finished 15th in the Premier League, five points behind eighth place Southampton and seven points clear of the drop zone.
[ MORE: Latest on Ronaldo ]
An accomplished defender at Ajax and Barcelona, the 47-year-old De Boer led Ajax in his first managerial stint before spending less than three months at Inter Milan last season.
De Boer twice won the Rinus Michels Award as the top manager in Dutch football, and would become just the second Palace manager from outside the British Isles.
He would inherit a very good group of attackers with Wilfried Zaha, Christian Benteke, and Andros Townsend. Palace also has a talented midfielders Luka Milivojevic and Yohan Cabaye to go with marauding Dutch back Patrick Van Aanholt.