Why Brazil’s over-reliance on one player, Neymar, almost cost them


Brazil beat Chile on penalty kicks in their last 16 clash on Saturday, as the star-studded hosts came incredibly close to being knocked out.

The host nation scrapped through to the quarterfinals but one question is reverberating in my head: where were the other star attackers to help Neymar?

[ RELATED: Brazil make quarters, beat Chile on PKs ]

Brazil’s over-resilience on the 22-year-old Barcelona forward shone through massively against Chile, as their lack of other high-caliber attacking options was clear for all to see. The youngster can’t do it all on his own.

Neymar scored four goals in the group stages and demolished the likes of Cameroon and Croatia. However, Chile locked him down and targeted the speedy winger on Saturday and Brazil’s other forwards failed to step up. Neymar aside, Brazil were sluggish in attack, failed to be dynamic and put Chile on the back foot. If Mauricio Pinilla’s shot wouldn’t have cannoned off the crossbar in the final stages, Brazil would’ve been eliminated. After a less than impressive display, the Selecao got out of jail and they know it.

Looking back at past Brazilian teams, their plethora of top-class attackers often put the fear of God into opposition teams even before kick off. At the 2002 World Cup Brazil had the likes of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo and Kaka in attack and they have always seemed to rely on their wondrous attackers to dazzle opposition defenses. However this Brazilian team has no supporting act for Neymar when an opposition defense, like Chile, worked so hard to shut him down. Every time Neymar was on the ball he had two Chile players hot on his heels. He ran clear of his markers on a  handful of occasions and his pace and poise ignited the home crowd, but after one hefty challenge too many he looked to be carrying an injury and is a doubt for the quarterfinal vs. Colombia.

When you look around this current Brazilian side, Neymar is up there as a world class attacker on his own. Fred, Jo, Hulk, Oscar, Willian and others have all failed to step up to the plate so far. Although that aforementioned quintet all have considerable talent, they couldn’t unlock Chile’s defense and only have two goals between them through four games. Hulk had a good go at doing so, as he had one goal chalked off for a handball and tried hard all afternoon, but it just wasn’t happening for the bullish striker.

Going forward, Fred should not start in the last eight encounter and perhaps another midfielder such as Willian should come in to try and bolster their creativity. Bringing on Jo to replace Fred vs. Chile really didn’t make much difference as Luiz Felipe Scolari is running out of options up top.

If Brazil are going to go far in this World Cup, as over 200 million citizens hope so, they cannot solely rely on Neymar.

They got lucky with their penalty kick win over Chile, sooner rather later their luck will run out and that is when a hero is needed.

Neymar can’t do it all on his own.

Sergio Aguero expects to miss a month with hamstring injury

Sergio Aguero
Leave a comment

After scoring five goals against Newcastle United, Sergio Aguero may have to wait a bit of time to get back to scoring in the Premier League.

The Manchester City striker lasted just 25 minutes in Argentina’s World Cup qualifier on Thursday, as he was stretchered off with a hamstring injury. 

Aguero underwent testing in Argentina, and told the local media “I think I’m going to be out for a month.”

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

Manchester City and Argentina teammate Nicolas Otamendi said Aguero was in tears in the dressing room, and some reports have penned the injury as a torn hamstring.

If Aguero were to be ruled out for a month, he would miss City’s Champions League clash vs. Sevilla, as well as the massive Manchester derby away at United on October 25.

To make matters worse for City supporters, David Silva was forced off after just ten minutes while playing for Spain today. Silva took a harsh challenge from behind, and hobbled off with what looked to be an ankle injury. If Silva’s injury ends up being more than just a knock, City could be without their two most important players in the attack.

Bayern Munich’s Mario Gotze out 10-12 weeks with groin injury

SHANGHAI, CHINA - JULY 21:  Mario Goetze of FC Bayern Muenchen in action during the international friendly match between FC Bayern Muenchen and Inter Milan of the Audi Football Summit 2015 at Shanghai Stadium on July 21, 2015 in Shanghai, China.  (Photo by Lintao Zhang/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mario Gotze could be out of action until 2016 after picking up a groin injury on international duty.

The Bayern Munich midfielder suffered a tendon tear in his abductor muscle while stretching for a ball in Germany’s 1-0 loss to Ireland in EURO qualifiers on Thursday. He was taken off in the 35th minute.

Ruled out for 10-12 weeks, Gotze is likely to miss the rest of the first half of the season for Bayern. Their last league match of 2015 is on December 19, which is 11 weeks away. The Bundesliga then goes on winter break, with Bayern’s next match not until January 23.

[ RELATED: Sam Allardyce appointed Sunderland boss ]

Gotze will miss both of Bayern’s upcoming Champions League matches against Arsenal, which is good news for the Gunners as they are in desperate need of a result.

However, Arjen Robben is back in training and will make his return to action within the coming weeks. After starting the Bundesliga seasons with eight wins out of eight, Robben’s return would add just another weapon to Pep Guardiola’s dominant attack.

Robben has not played since being injured in early September while playing for the Netherlands, and could feature for Bayern against Werder Bremen next week.