Landon Donovan: “Tactically, the team was not set up to succeed”


Following the United States’ 2-1 loss to Belgium on Tuesday, Landon Donovan has spoken out against Jurgen Klinsmann’s tactics claiming the team was not “set up to succeed.”

Controversially left off the U.S. roster, Donovan explained he was disappointed in the setup of Klinsmann, who moved away from the passing, attacking soccer that the team had been developing leading up to the 2014 World Cup.

“It’s certainly a missed opportunity,” he said following a training session with the LA Galaxy on Wednesday. “The thought of having a game Saturday – the day after the Fourth of July, against [Lionel] Messi and Argentina, with what was already a swelling audience – would have been incredible.

“I think we’re all disappointed in what happened yesterday. I think the most disappointing is we didn’t seem like we gave it a real effort, from a tactical standpoint. I thought the guys did everything they could, they did everything that was asked of them, but I don’t think we were set up to succeed yesterday, and that was tough to watch.”

[MORE: Watch Donovan react to Wondo’s miss]

[MORE: Watch Donovan discuss US loss with Dan Patrick]

He continued: “It’s a results-oriented business, and so, results-wise, you can hold your head high,” he said. “If you really look at the performances, there were some good performances by guys, some not-so-good performances by guys. As a whole, I think tactically, the team was not set up to succeed.

“They were set up in a way that was opposite from what they’ve been the past couple years, which is opening up, passing, attacking – trying to do that. And the team’s been successful that way. Why they decided to switch that in the World Cup, none of us will know. From a playing standpoint, I think the guys will probably be disappointed in the way things went.”

Donovan was quick to acknowledge, however, that “everybody’s an expert when they’re watching at home.”

“Hindsight is 20/20, so in hindsight you would say we should’ve been more attacking,” he said. “Maybe if we had been more attacking, we would have gotten four counterattack goals scored against us. So you never know. … But my feeling as a player, if I’m in that locker room before that game – before the Germany game, before the Belgium game – and the coach walked in and said we’re playing a 4-5-1 and Clint [Dempsey] is up top by himself, I would have been disappointed. Because I would have said let’s go for it. I want a chance to go for it and try to win the game.”

Donovan went on to note that Tim Howard’s performance was reminiscent of Kasey Keller’s in the 1998 CONCACAF Gold Cup semifinals win over Brazil, Kyle Beckerman was missed in midfield, Michael Bradley was played in an “unnatural position” and that he hoped Chris Wondolowski’s miss would not define him.

Sergio Aguero expects to miss a month with hamstring injury

Sergio Aguero
Leave a comment

After scoring five goals against Newcastle United, Sergio Aguero may have to wait a bit of time to get back to scoring in the Premier League.

The Manchester City striker lasted just 25 minutes in Argentina’s World Cup qualifier on Thursday, as he was stretchered off with a hamstring injury. 

Aguero underwent testing in Argentina, and told the local media “I think I’m going to be out for a month.”

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

Manchester City and Argentina teammate Nicolas Otamendi said Aguero was in tears in the dressing room, and some reports have penned the injury as a torn hamstring.

If Aguero were to be ruled out for a month, he would miss City’s Champions League clash vs. Sevilla, as well as the massive Manchester derby away at United on October 25.

To make matters worse for City supporters, David Silva was forced off after just ten minutes while playing for Spain today. Silva took a harsh challenge from behind, and hobbled off with what looked to be an ankle injury. If Silva’s injury ends up being more than just a knock, City could be without their two most important players in the attack.

Bayern Munich’s Mario Gotze out 10-12 weeks with groin injury

SHANGHAI, CHINA - JULY 21:  Mario Goetze of FC Bayern Muenchen in action during the international friendly match between FC Bayern Muenchen and Inter Milan of the Audi Football Summit 2015 at Shanghai Stadium on July 21, 2015 in Shanghai, China.  (Photo by Lintao Zhang/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mario Gotze could be out of action until 2016 after picking up a groin injury on international duty.

The Bayern Munich midfielder suffered a tendon tear in his abductor muscle while stretching for a ball in Germany’s 1-0 loss to Ireland in EURO qualifiers on Thursday. He was taken off in the 35th minute.

Ruled out for 10-12 weeks, Gotze is likely to miss the rest of the first half of the season for Bayern. Their last league match of 2015 is on December 19, which is 11 weeks away. The Bundesliga then goes on winter break, with Bayern’s next match not until January 23.

[ RELATED: Sam Allardyce appointed Sunderland boss ]

Gotze will miss both of Bayern’s upcoming Champions League matches against Arsenal, which is good news for the Gunners as they are in desperate need of a result.

However, Arjen Robben is back in training and will make his return to action within the coming weeks. After starting the Bundesliga seasons with eight wins out of eight, Robben’s return would add just another weapon to Pep Guardiola’s dominant attack.

Robben has not played since being injured in early September while playing for the Netherlands, and could feature for Bayern against Werder Bremen next week.