Just 24 hours before their World Cup quarterfinal with France, the German national team are in disarray as several of their players have been struck down by illness.
Speaking in a press conference on Thursday, German head coach Joachim Low confirmed that seven of his players are suffering from “flu like symptoms” as they prepare for their showdown with European rivals France in Rio de Janeiro on Friday.
[ RELATED: Full details, Quarterfinal field is set ]
Mats Hummels missed Germany’s last 16 win over Algeria with the illness and the sickness now seems to have spread to the rest of the squad. Not naming any names, although Christoph Kramer and Thomas Muller are both believe to be sick, Low blamed several factors as the illness rips through his squad.
“Seven players are slightly ill with flu symptoms,” Low said. “It is not that bad at the moment and it could be partly about air conditioning, the travel, temperature differences. I do not want to make a drama of it. We hope the situation will ease.”
After a tiring 120 minutes of action against Algeria last time out, this kind of scare is the last thing Low and his team needed. After drawing against Ghana then scrapping wins against the U.S. and Algeria in their last two games, the German public has yet to see the attacking panache and dominance return after it appeared majestically in their opening game against Portugal which they won 4-0.
Instead, Low is under pressure to at least get his side to the semifinals of the World Cup for the third-straight tournament. That seems to be the minimum requirement, even if the DFB say Low’s job is safe no matter what.
Coming up against an in-form and confident French side in the Maracana on Friday should provide Germany with their toughest test of the World Cup so far. Right now, Low is hoping he has 11 fully-fit players to put out on the field.
Middlesbrough has impressed at times during its return to the Premier League this season, and now the club looks to bolster its backline as the transfer window closes.
[ MORE: Aguero could miss Manchester derby after FA charge ]
The club announced the loan signing of Arsenal defender Calum Chambers on Tuesday, providing the Boro with a promising young player to contribute in the back.
Chambers, 21, has made 58 appearances in the PL with both the Gunners and Southampton, while also earning three caps for England.
Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka revaled his excitement over the signing, while also stating that the player addresses a big need on the backline.
“I’m really pleased,” said Karanka. “It’s a position where we’ve been working towards bringing the right player in. We haven’t been in a hurry because Calum was the player we were waiting for, and he’s going to help us a lot.”
The Gunners have been heavily criticized for not spending enough during the transfer season, however, Arsene Wenger has gotten the man he wanted to help out defensively.
[ MORE: Rooney retiring from England after 2018 World Cup ]
Arsenal announced the signing of Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi on Tuesday, after the German centerback had been previously been linked to the club for some time as their top transfer target.
Mustafi will likely figure immediately into the Arsenal defense, which has also added Rob Holding this summer. The 24-year-old made over 64 appearances for Valencia while in La Liga after beginning his academy career in England with Everton.
Hope Solo hasn’t had the best couple of weeks since the U.S. Women’s National Team bailed out of the 2016 Olympics.
On Tuesday, the U.S. keeper announced her decision to take a step back from her club team as well after receiving a six-month ban from U.S. Soccer.
The veteran American shot stopper took to Twitter to make her decision known, leaving her status unknown with the Seattle Reign in the future. Solo remains under contract until the end of the current campaign, however, it is not known as to how her decision to sit out will affect her financially.
Solo wil be eligible to return to the USWNT in February, but it will be up to head coach Jill Ellis to reintroduce the 35-year-old into the fold.
U.S. Men’s National Team and LA Galaxy forward Gyasi Zardes will miss the rest of the MLS regular season with a broken bone in his right foot.
It was initially believed on Monday that the U.S. attacker could be out until the end of 2016 after suffering the injury in Saturday’s 0-0 draw against the Vancouver Whitecaps.
Zardes was taken down by Whitecaps defender Kendall Waston during the latter stages of the match, with the Costa Rican apparently catching the inside of the 24-year-old’s foot, ultimately causing the injury.
Because of his extended absence, Zardes was ruled out of consideration for the USMNT squad ahead of their upcoming CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches vs. St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad & Tobago.