It seems as though Arsene Wenger is getting his wallet out again this summer.
Nope, no more moths will be flying out when he opens it up this summer, as Arsenal’s new-found wealth is burning a hole in his pocket.
Reports in the Guardian suggest that Barcelona’s Chilean forward Alexi Sanchez is close to agreeing his switch to Arsenal and the deal will be completed by the end of this week, or perhaps Monday next week at the latest. A fee of $50 million has been agreed by both clubs and Sanchez’s agents have flown into London to agree personal terms on a four-year deal.
[ RELATED: Arsenal, Liverpool to battle for Sanchez ]
The deal is thought to hinge on Barca’s imminent signing of Luis Suarez from Liverpool, with the only hold up being that the Catalan club want to secure Suarez’s signature before letting Sanchez join the Gunners.
If Wenger does succeed in luring another top talent to the Emirates stadium this summer, just like he did with the $65 million signing of Mesut Ozil this time last year, it will be a huge coup for the North London club as the likes of Liverpool were hot on the heels of the Chilean speedster. Arsenal are finally flexing their financial muscle and are proving they can mix it with the big boys of European soccer once again.
Sanchez was a key member of Chile’s side at the 2014 World Cup as they were knocked out by hosts Brazil on penalty kicks in the round of 16. The former Udinese winger joined Barca in 2011 and has gone on to score 47 goals and added 34 assists in 141 games for the Spanish giants. His ability to play centrally or out wide would fit into Arsenal’s model, as the 25-year-old’s pace would replicate that of Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in the attacking third. Plus, the boy can finish.
Can Wenger pull this deal off early in the summer, much to the envy of the rest of the Premier League?
Sanchez would be a truly wonderful signing for Arsenal and, no disrespect to Olivier Giroud, he’d be the world-class striker the Gunners’ faithful have been pleading for.
Whoever takes the helm as Arsenal’s next manager will have to do some math gymnastics this summer to stretch every penny available.
According to a report from The Telegraph, Arsenal is giving Arsene Wenger‘s successor a little less than $70 million to work with in this summer’s transfer market, citing back-to-back transfer windows with club-record signings (Alexandre Lacazette last summer and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang in January) and three raises given to players. Arsenal paid around $78 million alone to sign Aubameyang and around $65 million for Lacazette.
[READ: UCL Preview: Liverpool vs. Roma]
That means whoever comes in next to lead Arsenal will likely have to sell one or two players this summer to raise additional money for world-class signings.
For the last decade, Arsenal has been crying out for a new pair of centerbacks and a holding midfielder in the mould of Patrick Vieira. In addition, with Petr Cech getting older, the prospect of needing a new goalkeeper is also on the horizon.
Luckily for Arsenal, they seem to be just fine up front. From Aubameyang and Lacazette to Mesut Ozil, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Aaron Ramsey, the club has the talent to challenge for a title next season in that department.
A dozen different names have been bandied about as to who will be Arsenal’s next manager, with out-of-contract and former Barcelona manager Luis Enrique reportedly on the shortlist. Vieira, former Arsenal midfielder Mikel Arteta, Germany National Team coach Joachim Low, Juventus boss Max Allegri and Hoffenheim’s Julian Nagelsman have all also been linked with the job.
MADRID (AP) Spanish third-division club Toledo says a Tunisian player who collapsed from heart failure during practice 10 days ago has regained consciousness.
The club says doctors removed sedative medication and Lassad Nouioui was responding well to treatment on Monday.
[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]
They will consider removing the 32-year-old Nouioui from the intensive care unit if his condition keeps improving. Nouioui has played for a number of clubs during his 14-year professional career, notably a four-year stay at Deportivo La Coruna and a one-year spell with Celtic.
Nouioui collapsed on April 14.
The game against Real Madrid B the following day was postponed because of the problem with Nouioui.
GENEVA (AP) FIFA is forcing the pace on talks over a $25 billion offer to revamp the Club World Cup and create a global national team competition.
FIFA says President Gianni Infantino hosted a meeting last Friday with invited officials from some top European clubs.
[ MORE: Everton gets past Newcastle behind Walcott strike ]
The European Club Association has strongly opposed FIFA’s hope for a four-yearly club tournament starting in 2021, which could rival the UEFA-organized Champions League.
UEFA has also proposed a Global Nations League. A similar project is tied to the FIFA-controlled $25 billion, 12-year offer from a consortium including investors from Saudi Arabia and China.
FIFA says it’s holding “informal ongoing discussions with different stakeholders on the topic of the future Club World Cups.”
Infantino is set to meet confederation presidents and general secretaries “in the near future,” FIFA says.
On many occasions there are instances where teams and individuals exemplify the fact that real-life occurrences are more meaningful than sports.
Ahead of Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League meeting, Italian giants AS Roma visited Anfield –where they will face Liverpool in the competition’s semifinals.
After walking around the venue where the two sides will compete in less than 24 hours, Roma captain Daniele de Rossi and the rest of the Roma squad visited the Hillsborough memorial at Anfield to pay tribute to the 96 victims lost in the 1989 event that rocked the entire country.
De Rossi was seen laying a floral arrangement on the site, along with a note from the club that read, “In memoria delle vittime di Hillsborough AS Rome.”