Brazil Soccer WCup Nigeria Argentina

Wow: Nigeria Football Federation suspended by FIFA

5 Comments

That’s not a typo: FIFA has suspended the Nigeria Football Federation from inclusion in international activity.

Specifically, the suspension comes from the FIFA Emergency Committee and says that NFF is guilty of breaking FIFA statutes that demand federations work without third-party interference.

The NFF has been in trouble since the nation’s government stepped in and fired the NFF’s entire administration, ignoring several edicts from FIFA.

What’s the punishment? Harsh.

— No teams, including clubs, can compete internationally during the suspension. No sporting contact, tournaments, training, friendlies, nothing.

— No members or officials can take part in any training courses.

— If the suspension isn’t lifted by July 15, Nigeria will see its first ban: from August’s U-20 Women’s World Cup.

From FIFA:

The decision follows a letter sent by FIFA to the NFF on 4 July 2014, in which it expressed its great concern after the NFF was served with court proceedings and consequently an order preventing the president of the NFF, the NFF Executive Committee members and the NFF Congress from running the affairs of Nigerian football was granted by a High Court of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

The said court order compelled the Nigerian Minister of Sports to appoint a senior member of the civil service to manage the NFF until the matter was heard in court, without giving any date for such a hearing. The authorities then appointed a person who decided to convene an extraordinary general assembly on 5 July 2014. This extraordinary general assembly was convened in violation of the NFF statutes.

Originally, an elective congress had been planned by the NFF to take place on 26 August 2014.

The suspension will be lifted once the court actions have been withdrawn and the properly elected NFF Executive Committee, the NFF general assembly and the NFF administration are able to work without any interference in their affairs.

 

If FIFA’s throwing down a suspension gauntlet, you know there’s some really nefarious antics behind the scenes.

Kolo Toure undergoing medical ahead of Rodgers reunion at Celtic

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - MAY 13:  Kolo Toure of Liverpool talks during the Liverpool UEFA Europa League Cup Final Media Day at Melwood Training Ground on May 13, 2016 in Liverpool, England.  (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)
Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Sky Sports reports that longtime Liverpool defender Kolo Toure has found a home under his former manager.

The 35-year-old center back was released by the Reds this summer, and is undergoing a medical ahead of joining Brendan Rodgers at Celtic.

[ MORE: Sunderland hires Moyes ]

Toure joined Liverpool from Manchester City in 2013, one year after Rodgers took the helm at Anfield.

The move would be Celtic’s second signing under Rodgers, as the Glasgow side added French forward Moussa Dembele from Fulham earlier this summer.

Report: Juve buys Higuain for $103m, tipped as precursor to Pogba sale

NAPLES, ITALY - JANUARY 31:  Gonzalo Higuain (R) and MArek Hamsik of Napoli celebrate the equalizing goal during the Serie A match between SSC Napoli and Empoli FC at Stadio San Paolo on January 31, 2016 in Naples, Italy.  (Photo by Maurizio Lagana/Getty Images)
Photo by Maurizio Lagana/Getty Images
Leave a comment

It’s a move that screams its own headlines, yet is being tipped as a precursor to a larger one.

According to Sky Sports, Juventus has purchased Gonzalo Higuain from Napoli for an incredible $103 million, equaling the second-highest transfer fee in football history (Cristiano Ronaldo).

Higuain is 28 years old, making the fee even harder to fathom despite his status as the reigning Serie A goal leader. His 36 goals in 35 matches was by far his best campaign, though he’s always been a productive striker.

[ MORE: Sunderland hires Moyes ]

Moreover, the massive money only fuels the fire that Juventus is possibly selling Paul Pogba to Manchester United or Real Madrid for what will certainly be a world record fee, eclipsing the $110 million Real paid for Gareth Bale in 2013.

Higuain was also tipped for a move to Arsenal, but that always seemed improbable given the reported fees and Arsene Wenger‘s preference for younger players.

It’s a huge risk for Juventus, even given the probability of Pogba money arriving in Turin.

Sunderland hires Moyes to replace Allardyce as manager

FLORENCE, ITALY - MARCH 07: David Moyes speaks during the "Panchina D'oro season 2014-2015" at Coverciano on March 7, 2016 in Florence, Italy.  (Photo by Gabriele Maltinti/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

SUNDERLAND, England (AP) David Moyes was hired to take charge of Sunderland as Sam Allardyce‘s successor on Saturday, returning to Premier League management two years after being fired by Manchester United.

Moyes signed a four-year contract less than 24 hours after Sunderland announced Allardyce’s departure to become England manager. Allardyce secured Sunderland’s Premier League status after inheriting a struggling team last October but the northeast club doesn’t want to be in regular relegation battles.

[ MORE: Five relegated transfer targets ]

“It is our aim to become a better, stronger and more stable football club,” Sunderland chairman Ellis Short said. “With a manager of David’s caliber and experience at the helm, we have a fantastic opportunity to begin looking upwards, rather than downwards every season.”

The 53-year-old Moyes has a managerial career to rebuild at Sunderland after three disappointing years.

The Scot’s relative success at Everton from 2002-13 earned him the high-profile job at United after Alex Ferguson’s retirement. But Moyes was fired 10 months into a six-year contract after missing out on Champions League qualification.

Moyes next headed to Spain but he was dismissed by Real Sociedad last November after a poor start to the season. Now Moyes is hoping for another period of stability in his dugout at Sunderland.

[ MORE: Steffen leaves Freiburg for Crew ]

“I have taken over a big British club, with a great support and I’m looking forward to working in the Premier League again,” Moyes said. “I look forward to continuing the good work done by Sam.”

Sunderland said it had been pursuing Moyes for almost five years.

“I have spoken with him on many occasions and I have always been hugely impressed,” Short said. “He was my number one managerial target for the last five appointments, but his desire to honor existing contracts meant we were not able to bring him to Sunderland previously.”

USWNT cruises past Costa Rica in final pre-Olympic warm up

CHICAGO, IL - JULY 09: Julie Johnston #8 of the United States shoots past Nomoumelelo Nyandeni #18 of South Africa during a friendly match at Soldier Field on July 9, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois. The United States defeated South Africa 1-0. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The U.S. Women’s National Team wasn’t really lacking confidence heading into Friday night’s clash with Costa Rica, but the squad’s utter dominance certainly didn’t hurt things as Jill Ellis’ group gets ready to head to Brazil for next month’s Olympic Games.

[ MORE: Pulisic says Klinsmann links to England job made sense ]

The USWNT captured a 4-0 win against Costa Rica in the side’s final send-off match before the Olympics, extending the no. 1 ranked team in the world’s unbeaten streak to 15 matches.

It only took a quarter of an hour the USWNT to find the lead, but it always looked like it was coming for Jill Ellis’ group. Meghan Klingenburg made a great run deep into the Costa Rica area, and played a perfect square pass across the face of goal for Crystal Dunn to give the U.S. the lead in the 15th minute.

Mallory Pugh got her name on the scoreboard in the 22nd minute after making a brilliant darting run forward and beating the Costa Rican goalkeeper at the near post.

The U.S. pushed their advantage to 3-0 on the stroke of halftime when Becky Sauerbrunn’s free kick was headed home by Carli Lloyd in first-half stoppage time.

With a number of chances in the second half that didn’t take the right bounce for the USWNT, Christen Press made no mistake from close range in the 79th minute and gave the home nation a four-goal lead.

Dunn continues to impress on the international stage, and nearly gave the U.S. an advantage after just seven minutes. The 24-year-old gathered the ball inside the penalty box before unleashing a strong effort that struck the crossbar and stayed out.

The U.S. found another dangerous opportunity three minutes later, when Carli Lloyd was brought down from behind on the edge of the penalty area. Costa Rica defender Katherine Alvarado was shown a yellow card for the rash tackle, but the USWNT couldn’t make anything of the ensuing free kick.

While Costa Rica put in a valiant effort against their competition, the Ticas were no match for the Americans, and failed to muster up any shots on target throughout the night. The 29th ranked team in the FIFA World Rankings struggled to move the ball past midfield for most of the outing largely due to the USWNT’s constant press.