World, you may rejoice. Mexico finally has managerial stability.
Mexico head coach Miguel Herrera has earned a contract extension through 2018 thanks to a strong showing at the World Cup in Brazil, the Mexican Football Federation (FMF) announced.
“We’re renewing Miguel Herrera’s contract so he stays as coach of the national team for Russia 2018,” said FMF president Justino Compean said from Rio de Janeiro. “We’re going with him and hopefully he lasts.”
Despite qualifying for the tournament by the hair of their chinny chin chins, Mexico made it through Group A play with some impressive results before falling in the knockout round to eventual semifinalists Netherlands.
“His work was extraordinary (in Brazil),” Compean said. “We’re pleased because in the short time he had to work, he did it very well, achieving very good results in the style of play and in what the national team transmitted.”
No actual contract extension has yet been signed, but Compean said both parties are in discussions and there are no anticipated roadblocks.
Herrera instilled a sense of togetherness, along with becoming an internet sensation with his loveable touchline antics.
The new stability for Mexico is a long time coming, with the country blowing through an astonishing four managers in the 2013 calendar year before sticking with Herrera.
Compean also announced a busy end to 2014 for the national team. He said they will rematch the Netherlands in Europe in a November friendly, and will also schedule four more friendlies – two in Mexico and two in the United States.
Finally, the FMF announced an extension to Mexico’s contract with Adidas, who will make their national team kits through 2022.
Middlesbrough has impressed at times during its return to the Premier League this season, and now the club looks to bolster its backline as the transfer window closes.
[ MORE: Aguero could miss Manchester derby after FA charge ]
The club announced the loan signing of Arsenal defender Calum Chambers on Tuesday, providing the Boro with a promising young player to contribute in the back.
Chambers, 21, has made 58 appearances in the PL with both the Gunners and Southampton, while also earning three caps for England.
Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka revaled his excitement over the signing, while also stating that the player addresses a big need on the backline.
“I’m really pleased,” said Karanka. “It’s a position where we’ve been working towards bringing the right player in. We haven’t been in a hurry because Calum was the player we were waiting for, and he’s going to help us a lot.”
The Gunners have been heavily criticized for not spending enough during the transfer season, however, Arsene Wenger has gotten the man he wanted to help out defensively.
[ MORE: Rooney retiring from England after 2018 World Cup ]
Arsenal announced the signing of Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi on Tuesday, after the German centerback had been previously been linked to the club for some time as their top transfer target.
Mustafi will likely figure immediately into the Arsenal defense, which has also added Rob Holding this summer. The 24-year-old made over 64 appearances for Valencia while in La Liga after beginning his academy career in England with Everton.
Hope Solo hasn’t had the best couple of weeks since the U.S. Women’s National Team bailed out of the 2016 Olympics.
On Tuesday, the U.S. keeper announced her decision to take a step back from her club team as well after receiving a six-month ban from U.S. Soccer.
The veteran American shot stopper took to Twitter to make her decision known, leaving her status unknown with the Seattle Reign in the future. Solo remains under contract until the end of the current campaign, however, it is not known as to how her decision to sit out will affect her financially.
Solo wil be eligible to return to the USWNT in February, but it will be up to head coach Jill Ellis to reintroduce the 35-year-old into the fold.
U.S. Men’s National Team and LA Galaxy forward Gyasi Zardes will miss the rest of the MLS regular season with a broken bone in his right foot.
It was initially believed on Monday that the U.S. attacker could be out until the end of 2016 after suffering the injury in Saturday’s 0-0 draw against the Vancouver Whitecaps.
Zardes was taken down by Whitecaps defender Kendall Waston during the latter stages of the match, with the Costa Rican apparently catching the inside of the 24-year-old’s foot, ultimately causing the injury.
Because of his extended absence, Zardes was ruled out of consideration for the USMNT squad ahead of their upcoming CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches vs. St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad & Tobago.