Lazar Markovic, Kay Graca

Liverpool seal Lazar Markovic deal, winger to arrive from Benfica for $30 million

Leave a comment

Liverpool have reached an agreement with Benfica to buy Serbian winger Lazar Markovic.

On Tuesday the 20-year-old attacker has been unveiled by Liverpool, as the club announced the signing late on Tuesday.

[ RELATED: Reus to the Reds? ]

Portuguese giants Benfica confirmed that Markovic was on his way to Liverpool for $30 million and he has agreed a lucrative multi-year deal at Anfield.

Speaking to Liverpool’s website after agreeing the deal

“I am very happy that I have joined such a great club. I hope that I will fulfil the expectations of the supporters, coaches, players and all connected to the club. I have seen what the players are like, I have seen what the supporters are like, and I cannot wait to start playing here.”

Markovic has been tracked by Liverpool for months and was an integral part of Benfica’s squad which won the Portuguese title last year, plus made it to the Europa League final for the second-straight season.

The youngster, who joined the Eagles from Partizan Belgrade in 2013, made his international debut for Serbia at the age of 17. Last season he scored seven goals in 42 appearances for Benfica after putting in plenty of pacey performances out wide. He missed out on playing in the Europa League final after fighting with Juventus’ Mirki Vucinic on the subs bench in the semifinal. Liverpool will want to watch that hot-headed temper.

So, another young winger is set to arrive at Anfield now the paperwork is complete. He will be Brendan Rodgers’ fourth signing of the summer alongside Southampton duo Rickie Lambert and Adam Lallana, plus German midfielder Emre Can.

With more attackers needed to try and fill the void left behind by Luis Suarez’s departure, Liverpool have jumped to snap up Markovic.

Jurgen Klopp on Liverpool title talk: “I don’t care”

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 22:  Jurgen Klopp, Manager of Liverpool applauds the fans following their team's 2-1 victory during the Premier League match between Liverpool and West Bromwich Albion at Anfield on October 22, 2016 in Liverpool, England.  (Photo by Jan Kruger/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jurgen Klopp isn’t having any of your title talk.

[ MORE: Ballon d’Or shortlist ]

After Liverpool beat West Bromwich Albion 2-1 on Saturday at Anfield and Arsenal, Tottenham, Manchester City and Manchester United all dropped points this weekend, plenty of people are talking up Liverpool’s chances of winning the Premier League title this season.

With nine games of the season gone, Liverpool sit joint-top with Arsenal and Man City on 20 points with Chelsea and Tottenham just behind them on 19 points.

It is tight at the top but whatever people are saying, Klop isn’t bothered.

“I don’t care. It is normal in football that when you are in a good position people start talking a little more positive. I don’t recognize so much what everyone is saying about us but of course I recognize the mood, I said it already, around LFC it is good. But we are still in October… unfortunately. There is a long way to go,” Klopp said. “Nothing to say about this. Hopefully you can ask these questions through the whole season and everything is good but at the moment I have no answer for it. It is good up until now. Not more but good. Let’s carry on.”

Liverpool’s attack has been mightily impressive this season with the fluid movement of Sadio Mane, Adam Lallana, Philippe Coutinho and Roberto Firmino ripping teams apart. Klopp’s side are the highest scorers with 20 goals thus far but the one issues many have about them being genuine title contender is their defensive play. Klopp’s side have kept just one clean sheet in their nine PL games so far this season and they’ve conceded the most goals in the top six.

Klopp’s right, there’s a long way to go. But plenty are also correct to be positive about this Liverpool team.

Challenging for the PL title this season may just be beyond them but securing a top four finish certainly isn’t. Klopp is pushing Liverpool in the right direction. Any of us can see that, even if he doesn’t want to admit it.

Moussa Sissoko handed FA charge over elbow incident

Leave a comment

This was always likely to happen.

On Monday the FA charged Tottenham Hotspur’s Moussa Sissoko with violent conduct after he caught Bournemouth’s midfielder Harry Arter in the face with his elbow during the 0-0 draw at the Vitality stadium on Saturday.

[ MORE: Ballon d’Or shortlist ]

Sissoko, 27, was a second half sub for Mauricio Pochettino‘s side but he will now miss the EFL Cup game against Liverpool and the Premier League games against Leicester City and Arsenal after Tottenham accepted the charge.

In a brief statement on their website the FA said the following about Sissoko’s charge:

Moussa Sissoko has been charged for an alleged act of violent conduct which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video. The Tottenham Hotspur forward was involved in an incident with AFC Bournemouth’s Harry Arter in the 79th minute of the game on Saturday [22 October 2016].

He has until 6pm on Tuesday 25 October to reply. Off the ball incidents which are not seen at the time by the match officials are referred to a panel of three former elite match officials. Each panel member will review the video footage independently of one another to determine whether they consider it a sending-off offence.

For retrospective action to be taken, and an FA charge to follow, the decision of the panel must be unanimous.

Speaking on Monday, Spurs boss Pochettino revealed that the club had accepted charge and must now move on for the next three games without Sissoko.

“We accept that as a club after viewing the video. We accept the charge and now we move forward,” Pochettino said. “After the game it was difficult. When you asked me, it was difficult for me to appreciate the situation on what happened on the action. Then when it was on TV, I need to say that it wasn’t the intention, but the elbow was in the face of [Harry] Arter. It was clear. We accept the charge and now we are set to move forward and he has to miss three games.”

Sissoko’s actions were played down my Arter after the game but the French international who joined on Transfer Deadline Day from Newcastle United will now have to sit out some huge games in the next 10 days.

With the referees not spotting the incident, the TV footage was always going to be used and it was pretty damning as Sissoko drove his elbow into Arter’s face off the ball.

Renato Sanches beats Rashford to win prestigious Golden Boy award

PARIS, FRANCE - JULY 10:  Renato Sanches (top) and Portugal players celebrate their team's first goal scored by Eder (obscured) during the UEFA EURO 2016 Final match between Portugal and France at Stade de France on July 10, 2016 in Paris, France.  (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Renato Sanches has been named the top player in Europe under the age of 21, picking up the prestigious Golden Boy award from Italian outlet Tuttosport.

Sanches, 19, moved to Bayern Munich from Benfica this summer and shone for Portugal as they won EURO 2016 and he was named the best young player at the tournament.

[ MORE: Conte the new Mourinho?

The central midfielder finished ahead of Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford who was second, while Juventus’ Kinglsey Coman was in third. 

In total there were four Premier League players in the top 10 as Tottenham Hotspur’s Dele Alli and Manchester City’s duo of Leroy Sane and Kelechi Iheanacho also got plenty of votes.

Below are the top 10 players under the age of 21 in Europe, according to the Golden Boy award.

1 – Renato Sanches (19, Bayern Munich)
2 – Marcus Rashford (18, Manchester United)
3 – Kingsley Coman (20, Juventus)
4 – Dele Alli (20, Tottenham)
5 – Ousmane Dembele (19, Borussia Dortmund)
6 – Gianluigi Donnarumma (17, AC Milan)
7 – Leroy Sane (20, Manchester City)
8 – Marco Asensio (20, Real Madrid)
9 – Mahmoud Dahoud (20, Borussia Monchengladbach)
10 – Kelechi Iheanacho (20, Manchester City)

VIDEO: Harsh to book Kei Kamara for twerk goal celebration?

Kei Kamara
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kei Kamara scored a beauty for the New England Revolution in their 3-0 win over the Montreal Impact on Sunday.

[ MORE: Who wins MLS Cup 2016? ]

Of course, the victory wasn’t enough to see New England through to the 2016 MLS Cup playoffs, but Kamara had a pretty unique way to celebrate his goal.

The former Sporting Kansas City and Columbus Crew star twerked in celebration.

Yep. You read that correctly.

Kamra has seven goals in 21 MLS games for the Revs this season but he has also had some bizarre yellow cards as he was recently booked for changing his shorts on the field of play.

Take a look at the video below to see if he deserved a yellow for a twerk. Personally, I think it’s harsh. What’s wrong with having a bit of fun with a goal celebration?