Screen Shot 2014-07-11 at 9.51.35 AM

After completing Luis Suarez deal, Barcelona ponder appeal against ban

7 Comments

On Wednesday Barcelona confirmed that the $128 million deal to sign Luis Suarez from Liverpool had been completed.

Now, they have to watch their prized asset hang around until November as Suarez is banned from any soccer related activity for four months.

Oh yeah…

Suarez, 27, was handed the hefty ban by FIFA after he bit the shoulder of Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini during the World Cup group stage on June 24. He hasn’t played since, as his third bite on an opposition player during his career enraged the soccer world and resulted in this lengthy ban, which many felt could have easily been longer.

Barcelona confirmed on Wednesday that Suarez was “100 percent a Barcelona player” despite the Uruguayan not being present for his own unveiling. Under the terms of his ban, Suarez was not allowed to be paraded as a Barca player.

New manager Luis Enrique and director of football Andoni Zubizarreta instead answered the questions, with the latter confirming the deal and when asked if Suarez’s ban would be appealed against by the Catalan club, he had the following to say.

“Luis Suárez is a Barcelona player for all purposes but the recommendation from our lawyers has been to remain discreet. Our lawyers tell us that we should be very prudent with what we say and your question is asking about something that could only happen after certain verdicts have been reached. Then we’ll be able to explain things better. But it’s fact, it’s true. He’s 100% a member of the club. We’re speaking to our lawyers to find out the best way of defending his rights but at the moment there’s nothing I can say about that.”

Barcelona must now decide whether or not it is worth launching an appeal with the court of arbitration for sport (CAS) against Suarez’s ban.

If their appeal is successful, Suarez will be allowed to train and play with his new team. However, the talented yet troubled forward, plus the Uruguayan FA, have already had appeals rejected by FIFA as they tried to overturn the ban. Launching an appeal with CAS will be Barcelona’s final chance at getting Suarez back before November.

Let’s see how Barca handled this as Suarez is now officially their player, and their problem.

Sassuolo’s victory over Pescara reversed to 3-0 loss

REGGIO NELL'EMILIA, ITALY - AUGUST 28:  (L-R)  Alessandro Matri of US Sassuolo competes for the ball with Cristiano Biraghi of Pescara Calcio during the Serie A match between US Sassuolo and Pescara Calcio at Mapei Stadium - Citta' del Tricolore on August 28, 2016 in Reggio nell'Emilia, Italy.  (Photo by Pier Marco Tacca/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

MILAN (AP) Sassuolo’s victory over Pescara has been reversed to a 3-0 loss.

Sassuolo won Sunday’s Serie A match 2-1 but the league now says it fielded an ineligible player.

The league says the paperwork for the signing of Antonino Ragusa, who played the final 25 minutes, had not been filed by noon the day before the match – as its rules demand.

Sassuolo says it followed the rules and will appeal.

The club was one of four teams to win both its opening matches, along with Genoa, Juventus and Sampdoria.

Report: Wilshere being chased by at least 22 clubs

Jack Wilshere, Arsenal FC
Leave a comment

Jack Wilshere won’t be with Arsenal following Wednesday’s transfer deadline, however, where the Gunners midfielder lands is yet to be seen.

[ MORE: Is David Luiz poised for a return to Stamford Bridge? ]

According to Daily Mail, as many as 22 clubs are in the mix to acquire Wilshere on loan, including various Premier League sides.

[ MORE: Aguero charged by FA, could be out for Manchester derby ]

While Daily Mail suggests that Crystal Palace is among the leaders to bring in the 24-year-old center midfielder this season, Bournemouth and Watford are also said to be in the mix to sign the playmaker.

Manager Arsene Wenger reportedly won’t allow the Englishman to go to any of the top four sides in England and also hopes that Wilshere lands outside of the UK .

Wilshere is also being chased by foreign clubs including Serie A sides Juventus and Roma.

The Gunners have been active as the deadline heads down its final hours, with Lucas Perez of Deportivo La Coruna and Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi both joining the club on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, young defender Calum Chambers has joined Middlesbrough on loan and Serge Gnarby is reportedly close to joining Werder Bremen after drawing significant interest from Bundesliga sides.

US women will host Switzerland twice in October

BRASILIA, BRAZIL - AUGUST 12:  Alex Morgan #13 of United States celebrates her goal to tie the game with teammates Mallory Pugh #2, Crystal Dunn #16 and Carli Lloyd #10 in the second half against Sweden during the Women's Football Quarterfinal match at Mane Garrincha Stadium on Day 7 of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games on August 12, 2016 in Brasilia, Brazil.  (Photo by Celso Junior/Getty Images)
Celso Junior/Getty Images
1 Comment

CHICAGO (AP) The U.S. women’s national team will host Switzerland for two matches this October in Minneapolis and Utah.

The matches for the defending World Cup champions are set for Oct. 19 at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah, and at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Oct. 23.

The U.S. team has played Switzerland just twice before, with the Americans winning both matches.

The United States is also facing Thailand on Sept. 15 in Columbus, Ohio, before playing the Netherlands in Atlanta on Sept. 18.

The team will be without goalkeeper Hope Solo, who was suspended from the team for six months following comments she made at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics. The United States was ousted by Sweden in the quarterfinals for the team’s earliest-ever exit at the Olympics.

Report: Florentin Pogba could join brother in Premier League

Florentin Pogba
Leave a comment

Just incase you were unaware, there’s another Pogba. And he too could be playing in the Premier League very soon.

[ MORE: Could David Luiz be making a return to Stamford Bridge? ]

While it was Paul Pogba that stole the spotlight when he returned to Manchester United for a world-record transfer fee, Florentin — his 26-year-old brother — is drawing interest from England’s top flight.

According to the Sun, David Moyes and Sunderland are launching an $8.5 million bid for the St Etienne defender as a potential replacement for Lamine Kone. The Black Cats still anticipate that Kone will exit the Stadium of Light this season after handing in a transfer request earlier this month.

Pogba has played with the Ligue 1 club since 2012 after joining from lower-division club Sedan. Additionally, the centerback has made 13 appearances for Guinea at the international level.