It’s been quite a summer for Italian striker Mario Balotelli. Perhaps you could say that about every season of the controversial soon-to-be 24-year-old’s life, but we’ll worry about that some other time.
Just a few days after Balotelli posed for a photo next to an Arsenal logo — and days after AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi ripped the forward for his World Cup — there were stories that his move to London was forthcoming.
But AC Milan CEO Adriano Galliani said i Rossoneri has not received a bid for Balotelli, before shifting gears to the rumored move of Robinho to Orlando City.
From Sky Sports:
Reports on Sunday suggested Arsenal had agreed a £15.8million fee with Milan for the 23-year-old but Galliani stated there had been no bid.
“We have not received any offer (for Balotelli) and at this time, there is nothing from Arsenal,” said the Milan chief.
Galliani also said that Milan and Orlando City are some way off in their negotiations over another former Manchester City forward, Robinho.
“We are trying to arrange with him (Robinho) a similar path to Kaka, but we are still distant with Orlando City,” added Galliani. “Tomorrow morning (Monday), we will talk with him and his lawyer to find a solution.”
Earlier this summer, Berlusconi said Balotelli was “going nowhere“, so the president’s speaking of his sale price was a nod to a move. And Balotelli’s gun-aiming photo for his “haters” may not exactly inspire confidence in his mental state.
As for Robinho, it would be interesting to know what fee AC Milan requests for the attacker in comparison to what Orlando City is ready to offer the Italian club.
The former Brazilian superstar-in-waiting has seen his production drop precipitously even from his disappointing time at Manchester City. With 7 goals over his last 59 games, it’s a bit of a wonder Orlando is interested at all.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) Argentine soccer superstar Lionel Messi left the field with a back injury in the second half of a 1-0 victory over Honduras in a friendly Friday night.
The Argentine team captain and Barcelona star was hit on an apparently inconsequential play and immediately went to the locker room. He was replaced at the 62-minute mark by Sevilla midfielder Ever Banega and never returned to the field.
“Messi suffered a trauma to the left side of his lower back and rib cage,” the Argentine Football (Soccer) Association said in a statement, adding that doctors were looking at the injury.
[ MORE: Hull City snares last PL spot for 2016-17 ]
Messi is not a player who leaves the field with minor injuries like he did Friday at San Juan’s Bicentenario stadium.
“I would not dare to venture a diagnosis,” said a concerned Argentine manager, Gerardo Martino.
Gonzalo Higuain, who scored for Argentina, said it “was an important win and here’s hoping that what happened to Leo is nothing.”
Messi was scheduled to fly to Spain to resolve a tax issue and then rejoin the team in Santa Clara, California.
Mohamed Diame was the hero on the day for Hull City, as the Tigers gain promotion to the Premier League next season.
The Senegalese attacker sent Sheffield Wednesday packing on Saturday afternoon at Wembley Stadium after hitting a scorching long-distance effort past goalkeeper Kieren Westwood in the second half.
After an initial back-and-forth spell of chances over the opening half hour-plus, Sheffield was drastically taken out of the match as Hull began to gain their composure on the ball.
Hull City will join Championship winners Burnley and Middlesbrough in the Premier League in 2016-17 after being promoted. Relegated clubs Newcastle, Norwich City and Aston Villa will take their place in England’s second flight.
After their devastating defeat two seasons ago, Atletico Madrid looks for revenge and their first UEFA Champions League title on Saturday against Real Madrid.
Milan will be the site for the action, as Zinedine Zidane and Real are seeking their 11th title in the competition and have the opportunity to knock Atleti out in the title match for the second time in three seasons.
To follow live, click here.
Real Madrid: Navas, Marcelo, Ramos, Pepe, Carvajal, Casemiro, Kroos, Modric, Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema Subs: Casilla, James, Nacho, Lucas Vasquez, Jese, Isco, Danilo
Atletico Madrid: Oblak; Filipe Luis, Godin, Savic, Juanfran; Gabi, Fernandez, Koke, Saul Niguez; Griezmann, Torres. Subs: Moya, Tiago, Correa, Hernandez, Thomas, Ferreira-Carrasco, Gimenez.
With Atlanta United FC set to make their MLS debut in 2017, the club is reportedly set to make a major splash with one or possibly two Mexican stars.
[ MORE: Agent: Zlatan Ibrahimovic may not join Man United ]
ESPN FC‘s John Sutcliffe reported from the team’s future home, Mercedes-Benz Stadium, on Friday, saying that the team is targeting both Andres Guardado and Carlos Vela.
[ MORE: Edgar Castillo to replace Timmy Chandler for USMNT ]
Guardado, who currently plays for PSV Eindhoven, has long been a staple of the El Tri midfield, making 124 appearances for the Mexican national team.
While Vela wasn’t included in Mexico’s Copa America Centenario roster, the Real Sociedad striker has every bit of talent you’d want from a future Designated Player, which is likely what either Guardado or Vela would be.
Atlanta currently has three players on their roster. Greek goalkeeper Alexandros Tabakis, Junior Burgos and Jeffery Otoo currently round out the squad.
The potential addition(s) of an Andres Guardado or Carlos Vela would prove to be not only big for Atlanta but for MLS as a whole, more so with Vela though. MLS’ growth over recent years has brought young DPs like Sebastian Giovinco and Giovani Dos Santos to Toronto FC and the LA Galaxy, respectively.
Another league addition who is in the prime of their career will only continue to build the league’s reputation, and immediately put Atlanta on the map next season.