Shakhtar players reveal “deadly risk” and fear of returning to Ukraine

1 Comment

On Monday it was revealed that six Shakhtar Donetsk players had refused to return to war-torn Eastern Ukraine ahead of the new soccer season.

Alex Teixeira, Fred, Dentinho, Douglas Costa, Facundo Ferreyra and Ismaily all refused to board a plane from Lyon, France back to Donestsk after the Ukrainian champions played a preseason friendly last weekend.

[RELATED: Shakhtar players refuse to return]

The city of Donetsk is now controlled by pro-Russian rebels and has been at the heart of intense battles in recent months as the Ukrainian government try to claim the city back.

By refusing to return the six players in question have enraged the club’s billionaire owner Rinat Akhmetov, who warned them they would lose millions in payments by breaching their contract. Shakhtar’s Romanian coach Mircea Lucescu lashed out at the players’ agent, Kia Joorabchian, as he believed they were trying to engineer a move away from Donetsk due to the volatile situation in the region.

However, ulterior motives aside, the players are just scared of going back.  Who can blame them?

Douglas Costa, a reported target for Manchester United earlier this year, posted the following message on his Instagram page to try and explain to people why they did not want to return to Donetsk ahead of the 2014-15 Ukrainian Premier League season which begins this weekend.

“We all run a deadly risk if we are in the region,” Costa said. “I like the club, the people, the city, but I’m afraid. We want to stay at the club, but we must have risk-free working conditions.”

I think must people would echo Costa’s sentiments.

Donetsk is located less than 38 miles away from where Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 was believed to have been shot down by pro-Russian rebels on Friday. Ahead of the new Ukrainian season the club still doesn’t know where it will be playing its home games, as a neutral venue must be organized, with Kharkhiv the most likely option. Shakhtar, who have won five-straight Ukrainian titles, will also compete in the UEFA Champions League this season.

However even the alternative city of Kharkiv isn’t safe. Four Metalist Kharkiv players have also refused to return. Jose Sosa, Jonatan Cristaldo, Alejandro Gomez and Sebastian Blanco are all from Argentina and in a similar move to Shakhtar’s players they have refused to head back to the Ukraine.

In total four Ukrainian teams – Metalurh Donetsk, Olimpik Donetsk, Zorya Luhansk and Shakhtar – are based in cities controlled by rebels and all will have to play at neutral venues this season. The league itself was reduced to 14 teams as two Crimean sides withdrew after Russia’s annexation of the peninsula earlier this year.

It seems crazy that while all the unrest continues in Ukraine, soccer teams continue to prepare for a new season and the players are asked to carry on as normal.

USMNT: Brooks out with hip strain; World Cup qualifiers loom

AP Photo/Michael Sohn
Leave a comment

John Brooks is out of Hertha Berlin’s lineup “for the time being” after scans revealed a hip strain suffered in this weekend’s win over Wolfsburg.

That’s all Hertha has said, and that makes it hard to imagine whether American fans should be a little concerned or very concerned ahead of the USMNT’s World Cup qualifiers against Mexico, and Trinidad and Tobago in early June.

Brooks was unavailable for two weeks with an adductor strain in September, missing a month before returning to the starting lineup.

The U.S. center back pool isn’t teeming after Brooks and Geoff Cameron. Matt Besler, Tim Ream, Omar Gonzalez, and Walker Zimmerman were called up for the last World Cup qualifiers, and Gonzalez struggled but is a Bruce Arena favorite from their time in L.A.

WATCH: Snazzy Sargent goal leads U.S. U-17s past Mexico

twitter.com/_joshsargent_
Leave a comment

Josh Sargent scored a pretty goal as the United States Soccer program had another banner day against Mexico.

Nearly two months to the day after the U.S. U-20 side beat Mexico for the first time in 31 years, the U.S. U-17 topped El Tri for the first time ever. That win snapped Mexico’s 25-match unbeaten streak.

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

The goal is the first of Sargent’s two goals, as the 16-year-old latched onto a long diagonal ball and used his right foot and head to move the ball into position for a strong shot.

The U.S. clinches a spot in the next round of U-17 World Cup qualifying with one match remaining in group play.

Sargent is from St. Louis and plays with Scott Gallagher-Missouri. Former Philadelphia Union coach John Hackworth coaches the U.S. U-17s.

Heads of South American soccer sent $128M in bank transfers

AP Photo/Esteban Felix
Leave a comment

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) The leaders of South America’s soccer confederation transferred $128.6 million between 2000 and 2015 to personal accounts, suspicious accounts, or unauthorized third-party accounts, according to an audit released Wednesday by Ernst & Young.

According to the audit presented to the annual CONMEBOL congress in the Chilean capital, the confederation’s former president Nicolas Leoz transferred $26.9 million to his personal accounts. Leoz was the president for 27 years until resigning in 2013 for what he said were health reasons.

The audit also found $58 million in payments “to third parties without adequate documentation,” payments of $33.3 million to “unidentified accounts,” and $10.4 million to “suspicious third-parties.”

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

“We had said that we would have four pillars, and the first two pillars were clear accounts and accountability,” said Alejandro Dominguez, the president of CONMEBOL who commissioned the audit last year. “Today we are accountable to the leaders and the whole world of football.”

Leoz, 88, is one of three ex-presidents of CONMEBOL accused on corruption charges by the United States Department of Justice. He is in Paraguay fighting extradition to the United States.

The South American body has been plagued by corruption, which was exposed two years ago during the FIFA scandal. Leoz’s two successors, Eugenio Figueredo and Juan Angel Napout, were both arrested on corruption charges.

“I’m here, I’m the manager” – Moyes will not quit Sunderland

Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Leave a comment

This has been one horrible stretch for David Moyes.

The Sunderland manager probably thought he’d been through the worst once he left Real Sociedad, where he went 12-15-15.

But he’s managed just seven wins and seven draws in 38 matches in charge of the Black Cats — an 18 percent win mark. He’s also been charged for threatening to slap a female journalist.

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

And after Wednesday, Moyes has lost both of his derby matches against Middlesbrough.

Sunderland is 12 points back of safety with five matches left. The odds the Black Cats are headed for the Championship are somewhere north of 99 percent, and fans are calling for his job.

Well, he isn’t quitting. From the BBC:

“No, I’m here, I’m the manager, you take it on the chin. … I’m a football supporter, I know what it’s like. You don’t like seeing your team lose.

“There is nobody who wants to win more than me. I am used to winning, I’m not used to losing and I don’t want to get used to it either.”