Will Costa become Chelsea's main man this season?

Diego Costa urged to “not change” his game, but can he deliver for Chelsea?

3 Comments

Following his $55 million transfer from Atletico Madrid this summer, Diego Costa is expected to do one thing at Chelsea: score goals.

And plenty of ’em.

Last season the Brazilian born striker led the Spanish side to the La Liga title and the UEFA Champions League final as he scored 35 goals in 44 appearances in all competitions.

[RELATED: Costa seals Chelsea move]

That form prompted Jose Mourinho and Chelsea to splash the cash as their three forwards (Demba Ba, Samuel Eto’o and Fernando Torres) scored 19 Premier League goals combined last season. They need a talisman and someone who can deliver goals on a regular basis.

Costa, who scored 64 goals in 134 appearances for Atletico, will have that expectancy weighing heavily on his shoulders ahead of the new season. However after chatting with his new manager Mourinho, the Spanish international told the clubs website that he isn’t going to changing much, if anything, about his game.

“One of the main things he [Mourinho] said was that he doesn’t want me to change,” Costa said. “It was Jose’s and the club’s decision to buy me and the reason they signed me was because of the way I played at Atletico. I just have to improve fine details to become a better player.”

Can Costa deliver the goals Chelsea desperately need after a trophyless season in 2013-14?

Time will tell if he turns into a Didier Drogba or Fernando Torres signing for the Blues. One thing we do know is that Costa is perfectly suited to the PL. Watching him come up against Chelsea live in Atletico’s Champions League semifinal second leg win over the Blues at Stamford Bridge back in April, Costa gave Gary Cahill and John Terry a torrid evening. His selfless running into channels, his workrate, hold up play and deft touches in and around the box make him a menace. He won a penalty, then dispatched it to put Atletico ahead in the second half. By that time he had already harassed Chelsea’s entire backline in to several giveaways. That’s why he can succeed in the PL, as it continues to be the most physically demanding league in the world.

At Chelsea he will get plenty of chances delivered to him on a plate. He’s finishing is great, but that’s not the most impressive thing about Costa. He had two separate spells at Atletico, spent several seasons out on loan with many smaller clubs and has reached the top through a long and winding route. He is not complacent, he works hard for the team and harder to engineer chances for himself. His hunger shows no sign of diminishing at the age of 25.

That is why, ladies and gents, I won’t be surprised to see Costa bang in 30 goals this season in the PL. He will get the service. If he plays like he did at Atletico, he will deliver.

Ex-Guatemalan soccer chief pleads guilty in FIFA bribe case

PRATO, ITALY - APRIL 13: General view during the FIFA Futsal playoff match between Italy and Hungary on April 13, 2016 in Prato, Italy.  (Photo by Gabriele Maltinti/Getty Images)
Gabriele Maltinti/Getty Images
1 Comment

NEW YORK (AP) A former Guatemalan soccer federation president has pleaded guilty in New York to charges related to a sprawling corruption investigation of world soccer.

[ MORE: Christian Vieri ready for return, pursuing Chinese Super League ]

Brayan Jimenez pleaded guilty Friday to federal racketeering conspiracy and wire fraud conspiracy charges, each carrying up to 20 years in prison. It’s unclear when he’ll be sentenced.

The 62-year-old Jimenez is among 40 people from around the world charged in a FIFA bribery scandal over lucrative broadcasting rights.

Prosecutors say Jimenez accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes from a Florida-based sports marketing company. They say in exchange for the money Jimenez awarded the company media marketing rights to the Guatemalan soccer team’s World Cup qualifying matches in 2018 and 2022.

Jimenez’s attorneys haven’t returned a message seeking comment on his guilty plea.

D.C. United acquires Igboananike from Fire in trade

BRIDGEVIEW, IL - MARCH 06:  Andrea Pirlo #21 of the New York City FC looks to pass against Kennedy Igboananike #77 of the Chicago Fire at Toyota Park on March 6, 2016 in Bridgeview, Illinois. The New York City FC defeated the Fire 4-3.  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
Leave a comment

With the playoffs still very much in sight, D.C. United is making another attempt to boost its struggling attack.

[ MORE: NYCFC, Rapids meet in Bronx on Saturday ]

After recently trading for New York City FC forward Patrick Mullins and New York Red Bulls midfielder Lloyd Sam, D.C. has completed a trade for Chicago Fire attacker Kennedy Igboananike in exchange for target allocation money and a third-round draft selection in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft.

In over a season-and-a-half in MLS with the Fire, Igboananike notched 11 goals and four assists in 49 matches. The Nigerian forward is a Designated Player, and is due to make over $900,000, according to the MLS Players’ Union website.

[ MORE: Christian Vieri trying to make comeback in Chinese Super League ]

D.C United is currently eighth in the Eastern Conference standings, sitting on 20 points through 21 matches. The team is four points behind the New England Revolution for the final playoff position.

Report: Atletico set to offer $52 million for Chelsea’s Costa

LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 09:  Diego Costa of Chelsea shoots past Thiago Silva of PSG to score a gol to level the scores at 1-1 during the UEFA Champions League round of 16, second leg match between Chelsea and Paris Saint Germain at Stamford Bridge on March 9, 2016 in London, United Kingdom.  (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Already with one of the world’s most dangerous attacks, Atletico Madrid is prepared to add another dimension into the mix.

[ MORE: Man City makes final bid for defender John Stones ]

Daily Mail is reporting that the Spanish side is prepared to offer Chelsea over $52 million for striker Diego Costa, who joined the team from Atletico back in 2014.

While the Blues have maintained their position that Costa isn’t for sale, Atletico looks to boost its already strong offense with the 27-year-old Spaniard. Diego Simeone’s group already features talented attacking duo Antoine Griezmann and Fernando Torres.

During his previous stint in La Liga, Costa netted 56 goals across all competitions in two seasons with the Rojiblancos.

[ MORE: Christian Vieri trying to make comeback in Chinese Super League ]

Chelsea is reportedly pursuing former striker Romelu Lukaku after signing Belgian Michy Batshuayi this summer. Antonio Conte’s side also features young forward Bertrand Traore, who has made a strong impression during the preseason.

Report: Manchester City makes final bid for John Stones

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 16:  Diego Costa of Chelsea and John Stones of Everton compete for the ball during the Barclays Premier League match between Chelsea and Everton at Stamford Bridge on January 16, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
2 Comments

Take it or leave it.

Manchester City has made a final push for Everton defender John Stones, and has set its last offer at $52 million. Last month, the Citizens made the same exact bid for the 22-year-old, which was rejected by Everton.

[ MORE: Italian legend Christian Vieri looks to join Chinese Super League ]

City is said to be looking to avoid overpaying for Stones, after compensating Porto over $55 million for centerback Eliaquim Mangala two years ago.

While Stones has gone on record saying that he wants to play for manager Pep Guardiola at the Etihad Stadium, it remains to be seen if Everton will part ways with its prized defender.