James Milner denies contract offer from City but will stay and fight for his place

3 Comments

Despite starting only 12 Premier League matches last year, James Milner has decided to remain at Manchester City and fight for his place.

It was that bit-part role that gave the 28-year-old midfielder second-thoughts when the club reportedly were willing to present him with a new four-year deal at the close of the 2013/14 season. Milner stunningly turned down those talks, preferring to remain at City for the remaining 12 months of his contract and see whether he can break into the Starting XI.

A difficult decision, no doubt, to leave a four-year deal with City on the table.

But Milner is a footballers’ footballer. A knuckle-down, never say die midfielder known for incredible fitness, work-rate and a rock-solid mentality. If he fails to break into the squad, life will go on elsewhere in the Premier League where multiple clubs, including Arsenal and Liverpool, have noted their interest.

But the reason why his story is so interesting, nay, compelling, is not because Milner has the fortitude to roll the dice with one of the most competitive squads in the world but because his decision is purely based on love of the game. And in a world of money-trumps-all professional football, that’s saying something.

When City offered Milner the most recent contract reports claimed the player and his representatives didn’t even talk numbers. Money didn’t matter to Milner. The only thing that mattered was football — and whether or not he’d be playing enough of it.

The answer to that predicament will emerge over the next six months when Milner does everything in his power to prove to Manuel Pellegrini that he deserves proper burn. To do that, he’ll have to prove himself more vital than Jesus Navas, Samir Nasri, and, in some instances, David Silva. A tall order, no doubt, but one that deserves the appreciation of Premier League fans, regardless of who they support.

First pick Joao Moutinho scores first LAFC goal in preseason

Twitter/@LosAngelesSRH
Leave a comment

Los Angeles FC will need all of its new assets to contribute as the club looks to find its footing in MLS during its inaugural season.

That includes the team’s first-ever MLS SuperDraft selection, who is already paying big dividends for the expansion team.

Former University of Akron defender Joao Moutinho scored the lone goal for LAFC during Sunday’s 1-0 preseason friendly win over USL side Sacramento Republic FC.

Moutinho, who has primarily played left back for LAFC during preseason, shot down the left side of the pitch in the 60th minute before blasting a low shot into the far corner.

The defender is no stranger to finding the back of the net though, after scoring three goals and adding five assists last year in his lone campaign at the University of Akron.

Henry: Arsenal job would be a “dream for me”

Michael Regan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Thierry Henry remains a legend within the ranks of Arsenal, and the former striker says it would “be a dream” if he were to grab hold of the reigns at the London club.

[ MORE: Guardiola hails Man City as trophy haul begins ]

The Frenchman is currently a commentator in England and an assistant manager for the Belgium national team, however, the ex-Gunner clearly has his sights set on becoming the lead man at Arsenal one day.

“It would be a dream for me,” Henry told Sky Sports. “Interested [in the job]? Yes. Who wouldn’t be?

“But I can’t talk about it because of the respect that I have for the man in charge still, and my job that I’m doing with Belgium right now.”

Long-time manager Arsene Wenger and Henry have remained close for many years, even after Henry exited the Premier League giants, and it would likely take the former to step down from his position for Henry to have a shot at nabbing the job.

Wenger has been in charge at the Emirates Stadium since 1996, and has won three Premier League titles in that span, to go along with the rest of his club’s silverware.

UEFA bans Samir Nasri six months for IV treatment

Aitor Alcalde/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Former Premier League midfielder Samir Nasri has been banned for six months by European governing body UEFA for receiving an intravenous drip treatment in Los Angeles, California in December 2016.

[ MORE: Guardiola hails Man City as trophy haul begins ]

During the time in question, Nasri was on loan from Manchester City with Spanish side Sevilla.

Nasri reportedly received the treatment upon an initial diagnosis from his ex-girlfriend Dr. Sarabjit Anand. He later traveled to LA for the treatment, where a private medical company known as the Drip Doctors, set up the IV drip for Nasri.

The IV was said to have contained sterile water containing 50 milliliters of micronutrient components, which given in an infusion over the span of six hours is considered illegal by the World Anti-doping Agency.

Nasri is without a club at this time, after last appearing for Turkish club Antalyaspor in January. The 30-year-old left the side this winter after making just eight appearances in all competitions.

PSG suffers big blow as Neymar stretchered off against Marseille

Twitter/@FOXSoccer
Leave a comment

With an important run of fixtures upcoming, including a UEFA Champions League date with Real Madrid, the Parisians received disappointing news on Sunday.

[ MORE: Guardiola hails Man City as trophy haul begins ]

Despite picking up a 3-0 victory against Marseille, Paris Saint-Germain suffered a massive blow in the second stanza after Neymar was stretchered off the pitch with a right leg injury in the 81st minute.

The Brazilian international appeared to twist his ankle upon landing on the ground after going in for a challenge, although there was no contact when the attacker went down in agony.

Minutes after suffering the apparent ankle injury, Neymar was carried off the field on a stretcher by medical staff, raising questions about his availability in the coming weeks.

PSG faces a crucial run of matches, including Wednesday’s French Cup match against Marseille and their second leg UCL fixture against Real Madrid.

Unai Emery and his side currently trail 3-1 against Los Blancos, as the tie heads back to Paris for the second meeting.

This season, Neymar has tallied 28 goals in all competitions for the Parisians, including six finishes in the UCL, so his potential absence would be a huge blow to PSG’s hopes of advancing to the quarterfinals.