New York City FC to announce “major signing” on Thursday… Frank Lampard?

10 Comments

On Thursday New York City FC will announce a “major player signing” as Jason Kreis continues to shape his squad ahead of their inaugural MLS season in 2015.

No official confirmation has arrived yet on who the player is, but all signs point towards Frank Lampard arriving. Especially after Barcelona’s Xavi Hernandez is said to have pulled out of a move to NYC FC on Tuesday.

[RELATED: Villa signs for NYC FC]

Sporting Director Claudio Reyna and Kreis will unveil the new star on Thursday morning at the wonderful Pier 5 development at Brooklyn Bridge Park. That backdrop of Manhattan and the East River should provide one of the grandest player unveiling’s in MLS history.

Speculation is rife that Lampard, 36, will be announced as New York’s second Designated Player after Spanish national team legend David Villa became their first player earlier this summer. Lampard is a free agent after leaving Premier League outfit Chelsea at the end of last season, and is searching for a new club after returning from the World Cup with England.

It is thought that along with Villa, the English midfielder would be loaned out to City’s sister club Melbourne in the A-League between now and the 2015 MLS season beginning next March.

With excitement building ahead of NYC FC’s arrival into the league next season, the club jointly-owned by Manchester City and the Yankees are trying to assemble their first-ever squad as quickly as possible. Right now they have just three players on board, Villa, right back Jeb Brovsky and goalkeeper Josh Saunders.

Lampard would certainly be a big draw for fans across the globe. In 13 seasons at Chelsea he won the UEFA Champions League, the Europa League, three Premier League titles, four FA Cups, two League Cups and became the top scorer in club history from midfield.

Let’s see if Lampard will be suiting up at Yankee Stadium for NYC FC next season…

Soccer world reacts to the Manchester attacks

Peter Byrne/PA via AP
Leave a comment

NBC News is reporting that at least 19 people have been killed and another 50 are injured following a possible suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.

Multiple senior U.S. intelligence officials who are monitoring British authorities told NBC News that preliminary reports indicate that a single explosion took place outside the arena on the southwest side opposite the train station. The explosion occurred as the concert ended, catching people as they exited.

Soccer personalities around the world are reacting to the horrible event.

Juventus purchases Cuadrado from Chelsea

Photo by Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images
Leave a comment

If you didn’t realize Juan Cuadrado still belonged to Chelsea, you’re forgiven.

The Colombian attacker will complete his second season at Juventus after the UEFA Champions League Final against Real Madrid, and won’t be headed back to Chelsea afterwards.

Juve has purchased Cuadrado, and the fee is $22 million, and Juve will pay it over three seasons. Cuadrado, 28, is now signed through 2020 with The Old Lady.

Cuadrado first went on loan to Juve in Aug. 2015, and has eight goals and 18 assists in 83 career appearances with the club.

Chelsea bought Cuadrado from Fiorentina for around $32 million in the January 2015 transfer window, but made just 14 appearances with the club.

Report: Jermain Defoe meeting with Bournemouth

Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty images
Leave a comment

Sky Sports is reporting that Jermain Defoe may head back to the south of England following Sunderland’s relegation.

Defoe, 34, spent two seasons with Portsmouth between 2008-09, scoring 15 goals in 31 appearances.

[ MORE: ‘The Moment’ of each PL club’s season ]

The 56-times capped England striker had a clause in his Sunderland contract allowing him to leave the Stadium of Light were the Black Cats to be relegated, as they were this season. He’d have little interest in dropping into the Championship given his desire to stay a part of the England squad ahead of the 2018 World Cup.

Bournemouth’s strike corps includes Joshua King, who scored the most goals of any player not on a Top Seven side this season. King’s 16 goals were one more than Defoe’s 15, though the latter scored just one goal following a brace against Crystal Palace on Feb. 4.

Chelsea’s Conte wins pair of top managerial honors

AP Photo/Frank Augstein
1 Comment

Antonio Conte took league and national honors from the League Managers Association on Monday night.

The Chelsea boss was named Premier League Manager of the Year and Manager of the Year after leading the Blues to the PL title and an FA Cup Final in his first year on the job.

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Chris Hughton nabbed another Championship boss of the year award after leading the Gulls to the Premier League. He also won the honor with Newcastle United in 2010.

The League One winner is Chris Wilder of Sheffield United. Wilder won the honor with Northampton Town last season.

In League Two, Paul Cook of Portsmouth was named the winner.