Manchester United’s Luke Shaw trains on his own, told he’s “not fit enough”

3 Comments

After becoming the most expensive teenager in world soccer this summer and joining Manchester United, you’d think that Luke Shaw would be on cloud nine right now.

If he was, new United boss Louis van Gaal has brought him crashing back down to earth with a bang.

[EXCLUSIVE: Shaw on United move]

After chatting with reporters ahead of United’s game with Inter Milan, which you can watch live on NBCSN and online via Live Extra on Tuesday at 7 p.m. ET, van Gaal said that Shaw is not fit enough “to do what I want” and that he will “train individually until he is fit.” So, the youngest player to play at the 2014 World Cup, who played in just one game in Brazil, is apparently not fit enough and he was forced to train on his own away from the rest of the squad in Washington D.C. on Monday.

According to the Guardian, here is van Gaal’s take on Shaw’s fitness in full.

“He is OK, but I am always a trainer-coach who sees individuals and what they need. He needs to be fit and is not very fit and fit enough to do what I want. He needs to train individually until he is fit.” van Gaal said. “I cannot judge that [why Shaw’s fitness has dropped], but I see what I see. I have spoken with him and we have made a programme for him. He agreed with me. How long? That we have to see, but that I don’t know,” said Van Gaal. “I have heard good messages from Strud [Tony Strudwick, fitness coach] but we have to see.”

Shaw, 19, is apparently on board with this extra training on his own but he is hardly going to disagree with van Gaal and all this being stated by his new manager on the record has to be hurting Shaw’s pride. Van Gaal has already lambasted his teams performance against AS Roma, despite winning 3-2 last time out, and is whipping the Red Devils into shape mercifully this summer on their U.S. tour.

It seems as though the former Southampton youngster is being made an example of to let everyone know what is expected at Old Trafford under LVG’s new regime. He doesn’t accept slackers or anything less than 100 percent effort. Shaw was deployed at left wing back during United’s preseason opener against the LA Galaxy last week and had a slightly shaky outing after failing to impact the game in a role further forward than he’s used to.

The extra fitness work will likely be sculpted around playing in that new role of left wing back instead of left back, but in the past there were rumors that Shaw was unfit at Saints and that there were concerns over how he would progress as a player.

Looks like van Gaal has spotted something he doesn’t like and he’s letting everyone, including Shaw, know about it,

2-year doping ban upheld for Finland, CSKA Moscow player

Epsilon/Getty Images
Leave a comment

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) The Court of Arbitration for Sport has upheld a two-year ban for CSKA Moscow midfielder Roman Eremenko for a positive test for cocaine.

[ MORE: Morata signs five-year contract at Chelsea ]

CAS says the ban imposed by UEFA was “appropriate” and dismissed the Finland international’s appeal.

[ MORE: Vertonghen says Spurs need to “level up” like rest of PL contenders ]

The ban will expire on Oct. 5, 2018, when Eremenko will be 31.

Eremenko tested positive after playing in a Champions League game for CSKA Moscow against Bayer Leverkusen last September. The 2-2 result was not affected despite Eremenko scoring CSKA’s second goal.

Born in Moscow, Eremenko grew up in Finland and has represented its national team 73 times.

Webb says De Jong would have been sent off with video review

Christopher Lee/Getty Images
1 Comment

NEW YORK (AP) Howard Webb says he would have given Dutch midfielder Nigel De Jong a red card in the 2010 World Cup final if a video assistant referee had been in place.

The retired English referee showed De Jong a yellow card in the 28th minute for his karate kick into the chest of Spain’s Xabi Alonso. Hired in March to oversee video technology for professional soccer in the U.S. and Canada, Webb held a media seminar Friday ahead of its Aug. 5 launch in Major League Soccer.

Webb says: “Yes, it was a clear red card. It was a clear and obvious error on my part not to send the player off, and VAR would have been able to recommend a review to me, and I would have been able to make the right call.”

Now 46, Webb was a Premier League referee from 2003-14. He worked the Champions League and World Cup finals in 2010, became director of referees at the Saudi Arabian Football Federation, and started in March as manager of video assistant referee operations for the Professional Referee Organization.

MLS Snapshot: Orlando City 0-1 Atlanta United (video)

Twitter/@MLS
Leave a comment

The game in 100 words (or less): Friday night’s effort at Orlando City Stadium wasn’t the prettiest for either side but Atlanta United will gladly take three points from the fixture as the Central Florida venue proved to be a fortress once more. The Lions were far superior in their attacking threats throughout the match, testing USMNT and Atlanta goalkeeper Brad Guzan on multiple occasions. However, it was Hector Villalba that proved to be the difference when he blasted a long-distance effort to beat Joe Bendik in the 86th minute. Atlanta extends its unbeaten streak to four matches with Friday’s decision, keeping Tata Martino’s side in fourth place in the Eastern Conference, while Orlando City moves into fifth.

Three moments that mattered

36′ — Guzan stands tall, denies Rivas — Carlos Rivas thought he scorched this one (and he did…), but Brad Guzan acted like it was nothing as he held his ground to make the stop.

39′ — Spector gets ripped off by Guzan — The U.S. goalkeeper is at it again… What a save!

86′ — Villalba unleashes stunner to propel Atlanta — Sometimes it just takes one good hit as a striker.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverageStandings | Stats | Schedule ]

Man of the match: Brad Guzan

Goalscorers: Hector Villalba (86′)

Report: Man City adding Mendy to continue backline restoration

Richard Heathcote/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Fresh off of completing a record deal to help bolster the club’s back line this summer, Manchester City is back at it with the Premier League season looming.

[ MORE: Alvaro Morata signs five-year contract at Chelsea ]

The Citizens are reportedly on the brink of signing Monaco left back Benjamin Mendy to yet another world-record fee — which will total over $67 million.

Confirmation of the deal has yet to be announced by either team, but L’Equipe is reporting that the Citizens are hot on the 23-year-old’s trail in adding to their pricy back four.

Manager Pep Guardiola and Man City have not been shy readjusting their defensive unit over the past year, adding expensive first-team choices John Stones and Kyle Walker.