Arturo Vidal

Manchester United reach “verbal agreement” on $80 million Arturo Vidal deal

6 Comments

Arturo Vidal is edging closer to the exit door at Juventus after Manchester United are said to have reached a “verbal agreement” with the reigning Italian champions.

Vidal, 27, is set to become the most expensive player in United’s history as an $80 million deal has been agreed according to Tuttosport in Italy and reports from Vidal’s homeland Chile.

[RELATED: Transfer Rumor Roundup]

In those reports it states that Vidal will be paid $470,000 per week, which would make him the second-highest player at the club just behind Wayne Rooney.

Vidal is a great box-to-box midfielder who has shone for Juve over the past few seasons, but is he that good?

Although the numbers seem a little off and slightly extortionate, even for a player of Vidal’s quality, you have to say that United need to splash the cash in order to elevate themselves back to the upper echelons of the Premier League. That’s stating the obvious, but so far new United boss Louis van Gaal has refused to spend big in the transfer market and is instead looking at the options he already has at his disposal. During United’s preseason tour to the U.S. it is abundantly clear that they need to strengthen in defense, but in central midfield they need someone to partner Ander Herrera at breaking up the play and setting up attacks. Vidal fits the bill.

With Massimiliano Allegri arriving at Juventus after Antonio Conte’s shock departure as manager earlier this month, Vidal’s future seems to be up in the air but the Turin club are holding out for the highest possible transfer fee.

[RELATED: van Gaal, Manchester United ready to move on from Fellaini, Kagawa]

Vidal’s arrival could spark plenty of moves at Old Trafford as the likes of Shinji Kagawa and Marouane Fellaini are rumored to be on their way out to make room for the Chilean internationals arrival.

Watch this space.

Real Salt Lake signs Plata to multi-year DP deal

Real Salt Lake forward Joao Plata (8) gestures while walking during an MLS soccer game against New York City FC Saturday, May 23, 2015, in Sandy, Utah. (Leah Hogsten/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP) DESERET NEWS OUT; LOCAL TELEVISION OUT; MAGS OUT
Leah Hogsten/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP
Leave a comment

SANDY, Utah (AP) Real Salt Lake has re-signed forward Joao Plata to a multi-year contract and he will continue to hold a designated-player spot.

The 24-year-old was acquired from Toronto FC before the 2013 season and he has 30 goals and 30 assists in regular-season play with RSL.

[ MORE: Liverpool flops vs LCFC ]

Plata ranks No. 3 on the team’s all-time assists list and No. 5 in goals. He has 33 goals and 35 assists during his MLS career.

Real Salt Lake begins the season Saturday when it hosts Toronto FC.

Gotze out indefinitely with metabolism disorder

ROTTERDAM, NETHERLANDS - NOVEMBER 06:  Mario Goetze (R) and Ann-Kathrin Broemmel attend the MTV Europe Music Awards 2016 on November 6, 2016 in Rotterdam, Netherlands.  (Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images for MTV)
Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images for MTV
Leave a comment

Mario Gotze’s last few seasons have not fulfilled the expectations thrust about the World Cup-winning attacker.

Gotze, 24, scored the 113th minute goal that lifted Germany past Argentina in the 2014 World Cup, but has endured successive disappointing seasons between Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.

[ MORE: Liverpool hires new CEO ]

With just two goals this season, Gotze has played just 24 minutes since BVB came back from winter break. On Monday, the club revealed why: a metabolism disorder that will keep him out for an indefinite period of time. From Sky Sports:

“We are glad to know the reasons for Mario’s complaints and we are convinced that after recovering he will give us extra quality with his exceptional abilities,” said Dortmund’s director of sport Michael Zorc.

“Mario gets the full backing and maximum support from all of us at Borussia Dortmund on his way back.”

It’s been a while since we’ve seen Gotze at his best, and here’s hoping this problem is both curable and the reason for his struggles.

Liverpool hires EA Sports executive as new CEO

Leave a comment

Liverpool has named Peter Moore as the successor to chief executive office Ian Ayre.

Ayre, 53, is off to 1860 Munich this summer, and has stepped down early to allow Moore to take over.

[ MORE: Liverpool flops vs LCFC ]

A Liverpool-born executive, Moore was the chief operating officer at EA Sports and has also worked with Microsoft and SEGA.

The move “completes a transitional phase” which saw several new names join the fray. From The Liverpool Echo:

The appointment completes a transition plan by FSG which included appointing Michael Edwards as sporting director while Billy Hogan was promoted to the role of managing director and chief commercial officer.

Palmer-Brown heads U.S. U-20s to win over Mexico (video)

Erik Palmer-Brown
@ussoccer_ynt
Leave a comment

The United States U-20 men are on the precipice of the U-20 World Cup after beating Mexico 1-0 on Monday, scooping their first win against El Tri in 31 years.

Brooks Lennon continues to look the part for the U.S. ahead of his loan season from Liverpool to Real Salt Lake.

[ MORE: Liverpool flops again ]

The youngster sent in this free kick that Erik Palmer-Brown, himself a loan man at Porto from Sporting KC this year, headed into the Mexico goal courtesy of a back post defender who opted for his right leg over a decent clearing attempt.

The U.S. took that lead into halftime.

Things got chippy as the second half unfolded, with referee Melvin Matamoros turning a blind eye to a few clattering tackles.

Tab Ramos subbed NYCFC prospect Jonathan Lewis into the match, and he sprung a counterattack that should have put the match to bed. But Lewis’ through ball missed FC Dallas’ Coy Craft and the latter took too much time, frittering away the chance.