Cardiff City v Manchester City - Premier League

Yaya Toure confirms he will stay at Manchester City

Leave a comment

Manchester City have been handed a huge boost ahead of the new Premier League season.

Midfield powerhouse Yaya Toure has quashed any rumors he’s set for a move away from the reigning PL champions and has claimed he will stay with the Citizens “for as long as possible.”

[RELATED: Toure wants to end career at Barca]

Previously it had been thought that Toure, 31, was unhappy at City after his agent Dimitry Seluk claimed the Ivory Coast star felt disrespected by the club he joined from Barcelona in 2010. That all stemmed from the infamous “birthday cake” fiasco where Toure was apparently upset due to his birthday being ignored by the clubs owners during a end of season trip to the United Arab Emirates. All of that seems to have been brushed under the carpet now, as Toure is looking forward to a long career at the Etihad.

Toure spoke to Manchester City’s website after linking back up with the squad following his participation at the 2014 World Cup. This is what he had to say on rumors about his future.

“I am very happy to join the team and the manager,” Toure said. “He [Pellegrini] is a fantastic manager and everyone is very happy and positive because last season was a good season. This year, I hope it is going to be amazing with all the other teams signing very good players. For me, it was not a case of leaving the club. It was difficult because my situation was quite difficult. I was always quiet and my decision is that I will stay at Manchester City for as long as possible.”

Toure was an integral part of City’s title winning squad in 2013-14 as he scored 20 goals from midfield in the PL. He was City’s top scorer, drove them forward from midfield and along with Sergio Aguero, Vincent Kompany and Joe Hart, Toure is part of City’s spine of important players. He signed a new four-year contract last season but his future was up in the air following some negative comments to the press, the birthday incident and the tragic death of his younger brother Ibrahim over the summer.

Losing him this summer would have been a huge blow, but Toure is sticking around after regaining focus over the summer.

Ferguson still being asked about Moyes: “We chose a good football man”

David Moyes Alex Ferguson
AP Photo/Martin Rickett/PA
Leave a comment

In some ways absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it seems Sir Alex Ferguson‘s life after Manchester United has been filled with second guessing.

Whether the sales of Paul Pogba and Gerard Pique or the appointment of David Moyes, “Fergie” apparently can’t rest on his title-winning laurels.

[ MORE: Tax evasion charges dropped against Messi, but not his father ]

One thing that seems to bug him more than anything, though, is the idea that he hand-picked David Moyes to be his successor, and should be responsible for his failings.

In a new documentary, Ferguson both defends the appointment of Moyes and explains the process behind his choice.

From the BBC:

“I don’t think we made a mistake at all. I think we chose a good football man,” Ferguson says. “Unfortunately it didn’t work for David.

“Jose Mourinho was going back to Chelsea, Carlo Ancelotti was going to Real Madrid, Jurgen Klopp had signed a contract with Dortmund, Louis Van Gaal was staying with Holland for the World Cup.”

The article also makes another key point, according to Ferguson: the manager claims he only gave United a few months notice that he’d be stepping down. That certainly didn’t provide a lot of lead time to secure a big boss.

What do you make it of it? If your answer is, “When can we stop talking about Moyes and United?” I tend to be with you, but it’s a talking point.

Tax evasion charges against Messi dropped; Case vs father continues

FILE - In this Sept. 27, 2013 file photo, Barcelona F.C. star Lionel Messi, left, arrives at a court to answer questions in a tax fraud case in Gava, near Barcelona, Spain. Barcelona prosecutors are calling for the arrest of Messi's father in a tax fraud case. Prosecutors have cleared Messi of wrongdoing but are seeking an 18-month prison sentence for his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, for allegedly defrauding Spain's tax office of 4 million euros ($4.5 million) in unpaid taxes from 2007-09. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti, File)
AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti
Leave a comment

Lionel Messi will not face charges that he and his father defrauded the government in millions of unpaid taxes, though his father is not so lucky.

Messi’s father, Jorge, could face 18 months in jail and an approximate $2.25 million fine despite a voluntary payment of $5.5 million in 2013 to “correct” the missed taxes.

[ WATCH: Hilarious spoof pegs Messi, Ronaldo as “Friends” ]

The Barcleona star had plead ignorance to the charges, something that failed to impress prosecutors. But, it apparently worked out in his favor on Tuesday.

From the BBC:

Prosecutors allege that Jorge avoiding paying tax on his son’s earnings by using offshore companies in Belize and Uruguay between 2007 and 2009.

Messi’s lawyers argued that the player had “never devoted a minute of his life to reading, studying or analysing” the contracts, El Pais newspaper reported.