Bravo

Claudio Bravo very impressed by rival Barcelona ‘keeper Ter Stegen

Leave a comment

31-year-old Chilean goalkeeper Claudio Bravo has only just moved to Barcelona and is competing with a 22-year-old.

Turns out, the kid ain’t too shabby.

Bravo and German youth star Marc-Andre ter Stegen are battling for the number 1 shirt at the Nou Camp this season as Luis Enrique hopes to replace Victor Valdes.

According to Bravo, that won’t be a problem.

“I have been surprised by many things that Ter Stegen has done,” Bravo said to Barcelona station Catalunya Radio. “He has great quality and is already talking the native language, Catalan.”

That’s a good problem for Barcelona to have, given the relatively heavy overhaul the club is undertaking this summer.

It was thought the baby-faced German would be the starter when he came over from Borussia Monchengladbach a few months ago, but since the Chilean arrived, things became muddy.

“In my career I have never been a substitute but I have always started from scratch with my peers,” Bravo said. “Here there is a healthy competition that will help the team to be as prepared as possible.”

Those are the words of a solid teammate and true clubhouse leader.

Bravo also talked about the style of goalkeeper Enrique is looking for, describing the need for good passing.

“We’ve been practicing a lot with the team to get used to the tactical strategies,” Bravo said. “I know that [Enrique] wants a GK that is comfortable with his feet so we can have a quality ball possession from box to box. It’s important to have a keeper like that.”

Ter Stegen completed 73% of his passes out of the box in the Bundesliga last season according to WhoScored statistics, while Bravo only found his mark on 59% during last year with Real Sociedad.  Ter Stegen also averaged over twice as many passes per match as Bravo did.

US women will host Switzerland twice in October

BRASILIA, BRAZIL - AUGUST 12:  Alex Morgan #13 of United States celebrates her goal to tie the game with teammates Mallory Pugh #2, Crystal Dunn #16 and Carli Lloyd #10 in the second half against Sweden during the Women's Football Quarterfinal match at Mane Garrincha Stadium on Day 7 of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games on August 12, 2016 in Brasilia, Brazil.  (Photo by Celso Junior/Getty Images)
Celso Junior/Getty Images
Leave a comment

CHICAGO (AP) The U.S. women’s national team will host Switzerland for two matches this October in Minneapolis and Utah.

The matches for the defending World Cup champions are set for Oct. 19 at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah, and at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Oct. 23.

The U.S. team has played Switzerland just twice before, with the Americans winning both matches.

The United States is also facing Thailand on Sept. 15 in Columbus, Ohio, before playing the Netherlands in Atlanta on Sept. 18.

The team will be without goalkeeper Hope Solo, who was suspended from the team for six months following comments she made at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics. The United States was ousted by Sweden in the quarterfinals for the team’s earliest-ever exit at the Olympics.

Report: Florentin Pogba could join brother in Premier League

Florentin Pogba
Leave a comment

Just incase you were unaware, there’s another Pogba. And he too could be playing in the Premier League very soon.

[ MORE: Could David Luiz be making a return to Stamford Bridge? ]

While it was Paul Pogba that stole the spotlight when he returned to Manchester United for a world-record transfer fee, Florentin — his 26-year-old brother — is drawing interest from England’s top flight.

According to the Sun, David Moyes and Sunderland are launching an $8.5 million bid for the St Etienne defender as a potential replacement for Lamine Kone. The Black Cats still anticipate that Kone will exit the Stadium of Light this season after handing in a transfer request earlier this month.

Pogba has played with the Ligue 1 club since 2012 after joining from lower-division club Sedan. Additionally, the centerback has made 13 appearances for Guinea at the international level.

Transfer rumor roundup: Luiz to return to Chelsea? Spurs interesting in Isco

FBL-ENG-PR-FULHAM-CHELSEA
Leave a comment

In a shocking twist, Chelsea could be prepared to bring back a former defender.

The Blues are reportedly lining up a bid for Brazilian central defender David Luiz, who exited the club two years ago to head to Paris Saint-Germain in Ligue 1. According to Daily Mail, Chelsea would pay up to roughly $41 million for the PSG centerback.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Back in 2014, Chelsea received an astounding $65 million for Luiz from the French champions, but he has quickly grown out of favor with the club.

New manager Antonio Conte is looking to sure up the backline before end of the transfer window, and Luiz appears to be a final effort to do that after missing out on several defenders, including Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly.


AS is reporting that Tottenham could be in for Real Madrid midfielder Isco.

While Spurs currently boast one of the youngest and most promising teams in the Premier League, Mauricio Pochettino is reportedly keen on adding another playmaker into the fold as Isco’s future in Madrid is unknown.

Isco would leave on a loan deal, and while Spurs are seen as a contender for the Spaniard, Malaga is said to be interested in the player as well.


Manchester City defender Eliaquim Mangala could be on his way to Porto after joining the English side two years ago.

According to the Guardian, the 25-year-old would likely return to the Portuguese side on loan after disappointing for the Citizens since his arrival in 2014.

With the addition of John Stones this summer, Mangala has fallen further down the pecking order with new manager Pep Guardiola.

Calum Chambers joins Middlesbrough on loan

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 30: Calum Chambers of Arsenal and Scott Arfield of Burnley compete for the ball  during the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round match between Arsenal and Burnley at Emirates Stadium on January 30, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images)
Paul Gilham/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Middlesbrough has impressed at times during its return to the Premier League this season, and now the club looks to bolster its backline as the transfer window closes.

[ MORE: Aguero could miss Manchester derby after FA charge ]

The club announced the loan signing of Arsenal defender Calum Chambers on Tuesday, providing the Boro with a promising young player to contribute in the back.

Chambers, 21, has made 58 appearances in the PL with both the Gunners and Southampton, while also earning three caps for England.

Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka revaled his excitement over the signing, while also stating that the player addresses a big need on the backline.

“I’m really pleased,” said Karanka. “It’s a position where we’ve been working towards bringing the right player in. We haven’t been in a hurry because Calum was the player we were waiting for, and he’s going to help us a lot.”