Carlos Valdes returns to Philadelphia Union

1 Comment

After a year-and-a-half away from the MLS, defender Carlos Valdes is set to return to the Philadelphia Union.

The Colombian defender started 65 matches for the Union throughout his two-year stint in Philadelphia, and was named club captain for the 2012 season. But in an effort to boost his chances of being selected for the World Cup, the center back was sent on loan to South American clubs. After stints in Colombia and Argentina, Valdes made Colombia’s final roster, and played the full 90 minutes in his country’s 4-1 victory over Japan.

A 2012 MLS All-Star, Valdes will help a Union backline that has surrendered 36 goals in 22 games this season. With upcoming matches against league-worst Montreal and the defensively-suspect Houston Dynamo, Philadelphia has a chance to earn valuable points in the MLS standings.

Valdes will play under Jim Curtin, who was named interim manager following the firing of John Hackworth in June. The club has played well under Curtin, a hometown product who played at nearby Villanova University, but still sits three points outside of the playoff race. Prior to the announcement of Valdes’ return, Curtin had stated his desire to resign the Colombian international and said the club had made an “aggressive offer” to lock up the defender.

The center back is joining fellow World Cup alum Rais M’Bolhi, who was recently signed by Philadelphia on July 30. M’Bolhi had a stellar performance in net for Algeria, leading his team through the group stage to the knockout round. The goalkeeper was named Man of the Match for his 11-save performance against Germany, even though his Algerian side lost 2-1 in extra time. The additions of two international stars will give the Union a much better chance at clinching a playoff berth.

Sunderland confirm resignation of manager Dick Advocaat

SUNDERLAND, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 03:  Dick Advocaat manager of Sunderland looks on prior to the Barclays Premier League match between Sunderland and West Ham United at the Stadium of Light in Sunderland, United Kingdom.  (Photo by Steve Welsh/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

With rumors swirling of his resignation, Sunderland have confirmed this morning that Dick Advocaat has left his post as Sunderland manager with zero financial compensation despite the protests of the chairman.

Advocaat came on in March as an emergency signing, successfully saving Sunderland from relegation with a solid run of form to finish the season. The 68-year-old Dutchman pondered at length this summer if he wished to continue on, with his wife reportedly urging him to step down, but he chose to continue on with the new season after successful persuasion from the front office.

Unfortunately, things have not gone as planned, with Sunderland sitting 19th in the table, only above Newcastle on goal differential and without a single win on the season. They’ve conceded a whopping 18 goals so far this season through eight league matches.

“I have made the decision to go after only eight games as I felt it was important to give everyone time turn things around – like we did last year,” Advocaat said upon his departure. “I am thankful to the chairman for understanding my feelings and I remain on good terms with everyone at the club.

“I wish Ellis [Short], Lee [Congerton], all of the staff, players and of course the supporters, who made me feel so welcome here, the very best of luck for the rest of the season. I have some wonderful memories to take with me and I hope I will return to see everybody again in the future.”

“I am truly saddened by Dick’s decision,” chairman Ellis Short said, “but I respect him for his honesty and for doing what he feels is right for the club. He is a man of integrity and a true football person. He was hugely respectful of the club in taking this decision and he acted 100% in our best interests. It is also testament to his character that he has forgone any kind of a financial settlement, something which is very unusual in football.”

Meanwhile, the Black Cats have dipped into what is becoming a perennial cycle, making a managerial change for the fourth time in the last four seasons.

Rumors are swirling that a host of experienced Premier League managers could be up for the job, including the currently unemployed Sam Allardyce and Harry Redknapp. Other linked names include former Leicester manager Nigel Pearson and current Burnley boss Sean Dyche.

Sepp Blatter’s daughter slams media for ruining her father’s reputation

Leave a comment

Sepp Blatter’s daughter blames the media, not her father, for Sepp’s downfall as the head of FIFA and believes he will not step down until the February congress as he initially announced.

“The media has ruined his reputation,” Corinne Blatter told Swiss newspaper Blick. “Why are they picking on him? What did he do to them? … It’s not just envy. It’s hatred.”

A host of major sponsors, including Coca-Cola, McDonalds and Visa called for Blatter’s immediate resignation as president of FIFA, to which the 79-year-old swiftly rejected. This all came after Blatter was called in by Swiss authorities for questioning after the opening of an investigation surrounding corporate mismanagement charges.

“I was afraid that they now take him away in handcuffs,” Corinne said. “He told me, ‘I must be dreaming.’ A federal policeman assured me that he could after hearing home.”

Blick pressed Corinne on many issues, all of which she defender her father. She refused to comment on many that had to do with the investigation, but did give us this gem when asked how Sepp likes to spend his money.

“He buys shoes and travel bags. He has worked 40 years. His life is modest, without any extravagance. He doesn’t play golf or go sailing.”

Shoes and handbags. What an image.