Real Salt Lake close to adding Argentine forward Sebastián Jaime

Leave a comment

Real Salt Lake’s attack has been hamstrung since Costa Rican international Álvaro Saborío left to prepare for the World Cup. When the team’s number nine broke his foot shortly thereafter, that inconvenience turned into a need, one general manager Garth Lagerwey is about to fill.

According to reports out of Chile, striker Sebastián Jaime, a 27-year-old Argentine who has spent the last three years with Unión Española, is on his way to the Western Conference champions, set to fill the hole created by Saborío’s broken metatarsal. A through-the-middle forward that can also play wide, the 5’10” attacker has scored 44 times in 120 appearances in the Chilean league, helping his club claim the 2013 Primera División title.

ProSoccerTalk has learned that terms have been agreed between the player and RSL, with only Jaime’s P-1 Visa and his International Transfer Certificate keeping the Argentine from completing his move.

Out of contract at the end of the year, Jaime could prove the type of low-cost (in terms of fees) addition that can bridge the gap between now and Saborío’s return. 

More on that need, from the Salt Lake Tribune:

The Tribune spoke to RSL general manager Garth Lagerwey on July 28 pertaining to the August transfer window closing on Aug. 6. He said both he and RSL coach Jeff Cassar had been exploring options, but reiterated that the preference is to keep the team as constituted. But the club went into a rut, understandably, when stars Kyle Beckerman and Nick Rimando went to Brazil with the U.S. men’s national team for seven weeks and all-time leading scorer Alvaro Saborio broke a bone in his foot in late May that will likely keep him out until at least the end of September or early October.

The Tribune also reported that any additions to RSL’s roster would require moving another player out of the squad.

Much like with San Jose’s acquisition of Matías Pérez García, this becomes a wait-and-see affair, though given the team’s past success with players like Jámison Olave and Fabián Espíndola, RSL fans may have reason to believe their scouting team knows how to find veteran South American talent.

Still, while it’s tempting to look at a player’s production, search a few YouTube clips, and try to draw conclusions, we don’t have a lot of evidence describing how players from Chile transition to Major League Soccer. Even for players like Pérez García, whose move from Argentina travels a more worn path, the drastically changing MLS landscape makes it difficult to translate South American form into North American expectations.

All was can do is comment in what ifs. In this case, if RSL has a striker that can bridge the gap to Saborío, they’ll also have a way to stay with Seattle at the top of the Western Conference.

Sir Alex’s son in trouble for saying he’d “shoot” refs

Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images
Leave a comment

LONDON (AP) It clearly runs in the family.

Former Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson was known for having an explosive temper during his nearly 27 years at Old Trafford, and it seems he has passed it down to his son.

Darren Ferguson, who is the manager of third-tier English team Doncaster, is in trouble for saying he would “shoot” referees because of what he perceived as their poor standards.

Ferguson was charged by the English Football Association on Wednesday for remarks that “were improper and/or brought the game into disrepute.”

The 45-year-old coach has already apologized, saying it was a “tongue-in-cheek comment” and that “I do not advocate violence against officials.”

Ferguson was unhappy his team was denied a penalty in a 1-1 draw with Plymouth on Saturday.

“The referees are part-time and the standard is appalling, their fitness levels are a disgrace, I’ve had enough of it,” Ferguson said after the match.

“What can I do? Shoot them, it would be a good idea.”

Follow Live: Chelsea, Swans, Cherries in FA Cup replays

Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Chelsea, Swansea City, and Bournemouth look to avoid upsets in replays of their third round FA Cup matches.

[ LIVE: Follow all the FA Cup scores here ]

All three matches kick off at 2:45 p.m. ET

The Blues tangle with former Premier League peers Norwich City, this time at Stamford Bridge, in a bid to host a fourth round match with Newcastle United.

Antonio Conte‘s not messing around (too much) with the XI.

Swansea City and Wolves, meanwhile, are arguably battling for a bid in the fourth round, as a trip to Notts County is on the docket for the winner of Wednesday’s replay at the Liberty Stadium.

Bournemouth is at Wigan Athletic for a replay with the third-tier Latics, with the victor hosting West Ham United on Jan. 27.

Benevento captain Lucioni banned one year for doping

Photo by Maurizio Lagana/Getty Images
Leave a comment

ROME (AP) Benevento captain Fabio Lucioni has been banned one year for doping.

[ MORE: Plenty to prove for Big Sam ]

Italy’s national anti-doping organization made the decision Tuesday after the steroid clostebol was found in a sample taken after Benevento’s 1-0 loss to Torino in September.

Benevento team physician Walter Giorgione was banned for four years for administering the steroid to Lucioni in a spray.

Both Lucioni and Giorgione plan to appeal.

The 30-year-old Lucioni joined Benevento in 2014 and the defender helped the team move from the third division up into Serie A this season for the first time.

Benevento is last in Serie A with only two wins in 20 matches.

The ban is back-dated to October, meaning Lucioni can return early next season.

Everton completes move for Walcott: “I’m dead excited” (video)

@everton
Leave a comment

Everton continues to supply its managers with top-end talent, adding Theo Walcott to its expensive season of boys which includes Gylfi Sigurdsson, Wayne Rooney, Cenk Tosun, Jordan Pickford, and Michael Keane.

[ MORE: Plenty to prove for Big Sam ]

The deal is reported to be near $28 million for Walcott, who’s made only a half-dozen Premier League appearances this season but did nab three goals in five Europa League matches.

Walcott, 28, scored 108 goals in 397 appearances for the Gunners. His 19-goal campaign last season was his second-best — he scored 21 in 2012-13 — but Walcott dipped down Arsene Wenger‘s depth charge and is leaving to pursue regular football.

And his comments will be lapped up by the #WengerOut brigade at his now former club:

“The Club has won trophies but I want them to win trophies now. The manager is very hungry and it’s just what I need. I’ve had a couple of chats with him and straightaway I felt that hunger and that desire that he wanted from me. I need that and I wanted that

The move is another exciting one for Everton, which has underachieved under Ronald Koeman and now Sam Allardyce. And it’s another sale from Arsenal which gives pause: Are the underperforming Gunners going to regret the move?

In the 2005-06 season, Walcott made his Southampton debut in the Football League Championship at the age of 16, and moved to Arsenal the next season.

Walcott has eight goals in 47 caps for England, and won two FA Cups at Arsenal.

[ MORE: Montreal nabs Algerian DP ]

Here is a useful quote from Sam Allardyce:“His physical output is excellent, he would be one of our top players in that area as well, which will hopefully bring us a lot more excitement and more ability to get forward quicker and create.

And here is an utterly useless one: ““If you analyse his goal record, then we are looking at a player who contributes goals on a regular basis.”

You don’t say. To paraphrase: If you look at all his goals, he regularly scores goals. Here’s more from the player on his move.