Forster

Southampton set to add Celtic’s Fraser Forster

Leave a comment

Given the losses Southampton’s suffered this summer, goalkeeper didn’t look like that club’s top priority. Last year’s number one, Artur Buroc, is still on the books, as is backup Paulo Gazzaniga, while United States prospect Cody Cropper seemed to be one of the team’s goalkeepers of the future. With long-time Saint Kelvin Davis also hanging around, Southampton could almost afford to sell.

But news that Saints are close to sealing a $17 million deal for Celtic’s Fraser Forster is a reminder: Goalkeeping, particularly evaluating it, is a very funny thing. Whereas one manager may prefer a pure shot-stopper, another may put more value in preventing shots before they get off. One boss may consider whatever a keeper offers with his feet a bonus,  while others see it as a potentially defining part of a goalie’s game. Where some coaches prioritize consistency and stability, some accept the erratic if it comes with the spectacular.

Forster is certainly capable of the spectacular, but having spent the last four years in the wilting Scottish Premier League, it’s difficult to tell how good he is, though his time in Champions League hints he should be an improvement on Boruc. But the last experience he had in England, loaned from Newcastle to Norwich four years ago, was in the third tier. At 26 years old, Forster will be getting his first real taste of English soccer at the highest level.

Given the club’s other needs — apparently depleted in defense; having lost Ricky Lambert and Adam Lallana in attack — it’s a curious use of £10 million, but Ronald Koeman just may not feel comfortable with Boruc. Or, maybe he just wants more competition, and between Gazzaniga (22 years old) and Cropper (21), the new boss at St. Marys may not see players capable of providing it. Though  Saints’ have issues elsewhere, Koeman may have seen goalkeeping as a primary concern.

Granted, the extent to which Saints have needs elsewhere is debatable. Go down the roster and put names to positions, and you see a team that has all its needs covered; at least, in terms of its starting XI. Players like Lallana, Lambert, Dejan Lovren, Luke Shaw, and Calum Chambers are gone, but Koeman has Gastón Ramírez, Graziano Pellè, Maya Yoshida, Ryan Bertrand, and Nathaniel Clyne in their places. Players like Jack Cork, James Ward-Prowse, Sam Gallagher, could be ready for bigger roles, while more talent coming through the academy — Matt Targett,  Jack Stephens, Harrison Reed — will help cushion the fall. Add in other acquisitions, like Algerian international Saphir Raïder and Serbian international Dusan Tadic, and Koeman has a number of options. While the names aren’t as recognized as those he’s lost, Mauricio Pochettino’s replacement won’t be dealing with a bare cupboard.

Perhaps that’s why Forster was a priority. Koeman, after working with his team over the last month, may be upgrading instead of filling holes. If Boruc isn’t his preferred style of keeper, it’s not hard to see why the new boss would swap one former Celtic keeper in for another.

Report: Chelsea making first waves in $88m Bernardo chase

MONACO - NOVEMBER 22:  Bernardo Silva of Monaco  during the UEFA Champions League Group E match between AS Monaco FC and Tottenham Hotspur FC  at Louis II Stadium on November 22, 2016 in Monaco, .  (Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images)
Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Monaco has slapped a massive price tag on Bernardo Silva, and The Times says that isn’t stopping Chelsea.

Antonio Conte is trying to land the 22-year-old Portuguese attacker according to the report, which says that the Blues are already chatting up the Ligue 1 outfit.

[ MORE: Wenger’s Sutton pitch worry ]

Silva has six goals and seven assists in France’s top flight this season, adding another three in the UEFA Champions League. He did not appear at EURO 2016 thanks to a hamstring injury, as Portugal won the Henri Delaunay Trophy.

Chelsea is ready to spend $88 million on the right winger, who can also play in a attacking center mid role. From The Times:

Monaco would like to secure a minimum of €80m (£68.4m) for Bernardo, who is comfortable operating on either the left or right wing or as a number 10. With Barcelona, Real Madrid and both Manchester clubs also expressing their interest Monaco, who play Manchester City in the Champions League on Tuesday, believe a money-spinning auction may develop.

Transfer prices can be hard to predict, but is Silva the sort of talent that will tempt nine figures? We’ve been surprised before, and at his age it’s possible, but color us skeptical.

AEK Athens beats Greek league leader Olympiakos 1-0

@pegas11
Twitter/@pegas11
Leave a comment

ATHENS, Greece (AP) AEK Athens defeated Greek league leader Olympiakos 1-0 in an ill-tempered game on Sunday that saw 12 yellow cards and two dismissals.

[ MORE: Messi brace rescues Barca, Pescara earns second win of season ]

Astrit Ajdarevic scored the only goal in the 34th minute with a free kick that deflected off Olympiakos defender Manuel da Costa.

Olympiakos’ athletic director Francois Modesto was sent to the stands for protesting about the lead-up to AEK’s goal. His team’s central defender Alberto Botia was dismissed after a second yellow card in the 75th for pulling an advancing AEK forward’s jersey.

Despite the defeat, its second of the season, Olympiakos has a 10-point cushion over second-place Panionios, which beat 10-man Iraklis 1-0.

PAOK, a 4-0 winner over Veria, remains in third place, one point ahead of Panathinaikos, which beat Asteras 5-0 on Saturday. AEK is joint fifth with Xanthi.

PSG drops points against Toulouse days after massive UCL win

PARIS, FRANCE - FEBRUARY 14:  Julian Draxler of Paris Saint-Germain looks on during the UEFA Champions League Round of 16 first leg match between Paris Saint-Germain and FC Barcelona at Parc des Princes on February 14, 2017 in Paris, France.  (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images)
Clive Rose/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Just days after its massive (and somewhat unexpected) beatdown of Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain failed to close the gap on league leaders Monaco.

[ MORE: Messi brace rescues Barca, Pescara earns second win ]

PSG settled for a 0-0 draw on Sunday at the Parc des Princes against eighth-place Toulouse, leaving the Parisian side three points behind Monaco through 26 rounds of action.

[ MORE: Bielsa returns to Ligue 1 with Lille ]

Despite holding the visitors to just three shots (one on target), Toulouse managed to contain a rampant PSG attack, which posted four goals midweek in their rout of the Blaugrana.

PSG’s first strong chance came in the 14th minute when Lucas Moura’s effort was saved in the bottom corner by goalkeeper Alban Lafont.

Meanwhile, Edinson Cavani may have had the game’s best opportunity to break the deadlock when the Uruguayan attacker struck the post from inside the penalty area.

Unai Emery’s group will be back in action on Feb. 26 when PSG travels to Dimitri Payet and Marseille.

Wenger worried over Sutton’s pitch heading Monday’s clash

SUTTON, GREATER LONDON - FEBRUARY 16:  Pundits Paul Merson (4L) and Matt Le Tissier (2L) take part in a training session alongside Paul Doswell manager of Sutton United (L) and players during a Sutton United FA Cup media day on February 16, 2017 at the Borough Sports Ground in Sutton, Greater London. Sutton United are due to face Arsenal in the Emirates FA Cup Fifth round on 20 February.  (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)
Ian Walton/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The story of Monday’s encounter between Arsenal and fifth-division Sutton United will be whether the minnows can overcome the mighty Gunners.

[ MORE: Mourinho pleased with United’s “attitude” against Blackburn ]

However, Arsene Wenger already fears a bigger challenge within the game, one that concerns his players’ safety.

Sutton’s 5,000-seat Gander Green Lane features an artificial surface, which is largely uncommon for English and most European venues regardless of club standing.

“First of all the pitch. Secondly their enthusiasm. Thirdly that we are not ready mentally for a big fight and think subconsciously that it doesn’t matter,” Wenger said ahead of Monday’s FA Cup meeting in South London.

In preparation for their meeting with the U’s, Wenger had his side train on their own indoor artificial field on Friday.

“Look, ideally we would like to play on a normal pitch. Competition is as well to deal with what you face, and we’ll face an unusual pitch and we’ll have to deal with it,” he said.

“We practice inside [on Friday] because we have an artificial pitch. It’s not the same as it’s a dry pitch, and at Sutton I’ve heard that’s a wet pitch, they water it before the game. So it will be much quicker than what we have.”