Germany's Miroslav Klose gestures as he is substituted during the World Cup semifinal soccer match between Brazil and Germany at the Mineirao Stadium in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, Tuesday, July 8, 2014. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader)

German legend Miroslav Klose announces international retirement


The leading scorer in World Cup history has hung up his boots. For Germany, anyway.

Miroslav Klose, 36, has called it quits on one of the greatest international careers in history as the German forward has retired from playing for his nation. Klose broke the World Cup scoring record this summer as he has scored 16 goals across four tournaments for Die Mannschaft. Remarkable.

[RELATED: Klose breaks WC record]

The Polish born forward has been a predator for almost two decades but after Germany’s first World Cup trophy since 1990, he felt it was the perfect time to retire.

“The title in Brazil fulfilled a childhood dream of mine,” Klose said. “I am proud and happy that I could contribute to this great success for German football. There is no better time to close the national team chapter.”

In the history books, Klose’s name will always live on after he broke Ronaldo’s record and became the World Cups all-time leading goalscorer by scoring twice  in Brazil. He also broke Gerd Muller’s record as Germany’s all-time leading scorer and amassed 71 goals in 137 appearances. Klose is also the only player to play in four or more World Cup semifinals, the third player in history to score in four separate World Cup tournaments and is the only player in history to be part of 17 wins at the World Cup.

The word legend gets used loosely in soccer. This man deserves that title.

Although Klose will not play for Germany again, he can now concentrate solely on his club team, Lazio, as the German striker will carry on playing in Serie A during the upcoming season. He has scored 40 goals in 100 games for the Rome club so far and will be aiming to score more, as always, in 2014-15. The former Kaiserslautern, Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich striker has scored 205 goals in 524 appearances at club level.

For compiling one of the greatest international careers soccer has ever seen, take a bow, Miroslav.

Juan Carlos Osorio to become new Mexico boss

Leave a comment

Mexico looks to have found a new manager in Juan Carlos Osorio.

Osorio, who had stints managing in Major League Soccer with the Chicago Fire and New York Red Bulls, was most recently coaching in Brazil with Sao Paulo.

However, the Brazilian club released a statement today that Osorio had decided to step down from his position in order to take the Mexico job.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s USMNT coverage ]

Following Miguel Herrera’s firing in July, Ricardo Ferretti was named interim manager of El Tri, and will coach the side in Saturday’s CONCACAF playoff match against the United States. However, Ferretti has stated he will not stay with Mexico past that match, and will return to Liga MX, where he serves as manager of Tigres UANL.

Osorio had recently been linked with the Mexico job, but said he would take his time in making a decision.

His only other exposure to Mexican football came during a short stint in Liga MX managing Puebla. He lasted just seven matches before resigning and returning to manage in his native Colombia.

[ RELATED: Donovan says Klinsmann should be fired if USMNT loses to Mexico ]

He was in line to take charge of the Honduras national team in 2011, but he was unable to get out of the contract with the Colombian team he was managing at the time.

There has been no official confirmation of the hiring from the Mexican Federation.

Benzema and Benitez in a war of words at Real Madrid

MADRID, SPAIN - SEPTEMBER 26: Head coach Rafael Benitez (R) of Real Madrid CF gives instructions to his player Karim Benzema (L) during the La Liga match between Real Madrid CF and Malaga CF at Estadio Santiago Bernabeu on September 26, 2015 in Madrid, Spain.  (Photo by Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Karim Benzema has scored six goals in his eight appearances for Real Madrid this season, and is currently the top scorer in La Liga.

Despite being in great form, Benzema has continuously been substituted by manager Rafa Benitez, which has upset the French striker.

Benzema opened the scoring for Real in the Madrid derby over the weekend, but was taken off in the 77th minute. Atletico would go on to score minutes later as the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

[ RELATED: Top moments from USMNT vs. Mexico ]

Speaking after the game, Benzema said he was “fed up” with being taken off, but will continue to work to help his team.

Substitutions are what the coach decides, I’m just there to help my teammates.

It’s true I’m fed up of being taken off. I’m calm and will continue to work so I’m not always subtituted. He took me off to get a result, for defensive reasons.

It’s true that the electronic board always shows the No.9. Ask Benitez why that is.

When told about Benzema’s comments, Benitez said he made the change for tactical reasons, as Real was in the lead and he replaced the striker with a more defensive-minded player in midfielder Mateo Kovacic.

I needed to give the team some balance at that point in the game. I’m a huge fan of Benzema. If I were Karim, I’d also be angry at being taken off when I thought I was playing well and was on a great run of form.

What I’d do if I were Karim is score more goals so that next time I don’t have to be taken off and can say, ‘Hey, here I am.’

Benitez’s response comes off as a backhanded compliment, asking Benzema to “score more goals,” despite the player leading La Liga in scoring. In fact, Benzema has averaged a goal every 84 minutes this season, an incredible strike rate.

[ RELATED: Chelsea release statement on Jose Mourinho’s future ]

Over the summer, Benzema was linked with a move away from Real Madrid, but he constantly denied the rumors and said he never thought about leaving the club, which he called the best in the world. Just a few matches into the new season, there may be some trouble in paradise.