Everton complete loan deal for Chelsea winger Christian Atsu

1 Comment

Everton have completed the signing of Ghanian winger Christian Atsu on a season-long loan from Chelsea.

The 22-year-old makes his way to Goodison Park after prolonged negotiations between the two sides. For weeks, Toffees boss Roberto Martinez has spoke of his desire to secure the services of a winger, even going so far as to name Atsu as his target. Chelsea, concerned that Atsu would be given sufficient playing time in the Premier League, resisted for some time before assurances from Martinez convinced them of the deal.

“I’m very happy to be joining Everton because it’s a great club, which likes to play football, and it’s a great pleasure to be here,” Atsu told evertontv. “Playing in the Premier League has always been a dream for me and I have achieved that dream.

“This is the biggest level for me to play at. I know that it’s a very competitive league and I believe with hard work we’re going to be successful this season.”

Atsu has been touted as the replacement for Gerard Deulofeu, the Barcelona loanee who starred at Goodison last season. Like the Spanish winger, Atsu is what Martinez calls a “gifted technical footballer” who possesses the right personality and character. “[Atsu] will excite fans because he brings something completely different and a different way of playing to what we’ve got in the squad. He’s a left-footed player who loves taking people on and he’s got a really good understanding of the game for such a young man.”

Although left-footed, Atsu prefers playing as an inverted winger on the right side where he can cut in and look to shoot or take on central defenders. With that current role occupied by Belgian speedster Kevin Mirallas, expect Atsu to impact matches as a late substitute or, potentially, from his secondary position on the left wing.

Having yet to make his Premier League debut, Atsu is a player that Martinez will carefully work in over time, much like he did Deulofeu last term. The Ghanian arrived at Chelsea from FC Porto last summer on a $4 million deal and was immediately loaned out to Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem, where he notched five goals and six assists in 26 Eredivisie matches.

Having already passed his medical and secured a work permit, Atsu will be available for Saturday’s Premier League opener at Leicester City (10:00am ET on NBCSN).

Mexico star Marquez back at Atlas after US drug sanctions

Ethan Miller/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MEXICO CITY (AP) Mexican soccer star Rafael Marquez is back with his club more than a month after the U.S. Treasury Department named him on a sanctions list for alleged drug trafficking ties.

Atlas said Monday that the 38-year-old defender is practicing with the team again.

In August, Marquez was among 22 people sanctioned by the department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control. He was accused of acting as a frontman for the Raul Flores Hernandez drug trafficking organization.

Marquez has denied any wrongdoing and said he will work to clear his name. He is not known to face any criminal charges in the United States or Mexico.

Atlas says Marquez will continue his legal fight while at the team.

Marquez has played internationally with AS Monaco, Barcelona and the New York Red Bulls.

Wolfsburg hires Martin Schmidt after firing Andries Jonker

Twitter/@VfLWolfsburg_EN
Leave a comment

WOLFSBURG, Germany (AP) Wolfsburg has hired Martin Schmidt to coach the Bundesliga side as a swift replacement for Andries Jonker.

[ MORE: PL Playback — Koeman, Everton facing significant pressure ]

Jonker was fired on Monday after less than seven months in charge, with Saturday’s 1-0 loss at Stuttgart leaving Wolfsburg with four points from its opening four league games of the new campaign.

The 50-year-old Schmidt has signed a contract through 2019 and he will take charge of Tuesday’s game against Werder Bremen.

The Swiss coach left Mainz by mutual consent in May after almost three years in charge. Mainz finished last season in 15th place in the Bundesliga, above Wolfsburg on goal difference. Wolfsburg only survived in the Bundesliga last season by a winning a playoff.

More AP German soccer coverage: http://www.apnews.com/tag/Bundesliga

Swapping cleats for gloves: Rio Ferdinand to become a boxer

ANDREW YATES/AFP/Getty Images
Leave a comment

It wouldn’t be the first time a professional athlete has tried his hand at another sport, but this one is a bit surprising.

[ MORE: Leicester-Liverpool highlights Tuesday’s Carabao Cup action ]

The Telegraph is reporting that ex-Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand is poised to become a professional boxer and is expected to announce his decision on Tuesday.

The 38-year-old has been a pundit for BBC and BT Sport since retiring from soccer 2015, but the six-time Premier League winner appears ready to tackle a new venture.

Ferdinand will attempt to follow in the footsteps of former Sheffield United striker Curtis Woodhouse — who went on to become British light-welterweight champion.

Below is a video Ferdinand posted to his Instagram account on Monday which appears to show him practice dodging with a personal trainer.

Dodging Rain Drops…. Reaction Drill… Keep Moving!! 💧🎾 @chrisvarnavas

A post shared by Rio Ferdinand (@rioferdy5) on

Cavani, Neymar feud presents questions about PSG chemistry

Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
3 Comments

Paris Saint-Germain picked up its sixth consecutive win to start the Ligue 1 season on Sunday, but something else happened during the team’s 2-0 victory over Lyon that should be a show for concern.

[ MORE: Bayern keeper Neuer injuries foot, could miss months ]

In fact, two notable sequences occurred during the match that proved money cannot buy chemistry — or how the saying goes.

The issues on both occasions were between summer signing Neymar and Edinson Cavani — who has been with PSG since 2013.

First, a free kick situation arose where Cavani had appeared that he was going to take the set piece, until Brazilian defender Dani Alves stepped in and took the ball and proceeded to give it to his national and club teammate, Neymar.

The second occurence was even more embarrassing though, as Neymar and Cavani argued over who would take a penalty kick, which Cavani ultimately got his way before having his shot saved by goalkeeper Anthony Lopes.

Below is a video containing a piece of both instances.