Barcelona forward Luis Suarez has seen his appeal against a four-month ban for biting an opponent upheld by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
Suarez, 27, was banned for four months from all soccer related activity by FIFA after being found guilty of biting Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay’s World Cup campaign this summer. That was the third biting incident of Suarez’s career.
[RELATED: Suarez banned four months]
However despite throwing out his appeal and his lengthy ban still in place, CAS have cleared Suarez to train with Barcelona as he has previously been practicing on his own after his $128 million transfer to Spain from Premier League side Liverpool this summer. After CAS’ ruling Suarez is now allowed to train, play in friendlies (for Uruguay and Barcelona) and be involved in any promotional activities regarding soccer.
Initially both Suarez and the Uruguayan FA appealed to FIFA but lost. The last possible chance to get Suarez’s ban reduced was by going to the CAS.
That has worked, slightly, as Suarez can now join up with his teammates but he still won’t be in action at the Nou Camp until Oct. 26 at the earliest and is still banned for Uruguay’s next eight competitive international matches. Yet he is allowed to play in friendly matches for club and country.
Barcelona have a friendly match against Liga MX side Leon on Monday for the Joan Gamper Trophy which Suarez, technically, can play in. Will we now see Barca organize at least one friendly a week just for Suarez to get match practice in? There’s always some kind of loophole. Following the news Barcelona sent out the following Tweet from their account as Suarez will be unveiled before the game on Monday vs. Leon and will also return to training tomorrow.
Suarez’s exile from soccer until late October has now been confirmed but the striker has been given some leeway to get his career back on track.
High-flying left back Benjamin Mendy‘s Manchester City takeoff has been delayed by a thigh injury.
Pep Guardiola revealed Thursday that Mendy is doubtful for City’s Aug. 12 Premier League opener at Brighton and Hove Albion despite passing a medical to push through a $68 million move from Monaco.
Saying Mendy is “a little bit injured,” Guardiola said to expect an absence of two to three weeks.
[ MORE: LAFC hires Bob Bradley ]
The depth chart behind Mendy is incomplete, though City has added two right backs this offseason in Kyle Walker and Danilo.
The latter would be the front-runner to start in Mendy’s place, as he did in a 3-5-2 as Man City beat Real Madrid 4-1 on Wednesday.
Man City follows its opener at Brighton with a visit from Everton and a trip to Bournemouth.
Hard-nosed midfielder Rajda Nainggolan has been linked to Manchester United and Chelsea for some time, but Thursday linked up long-term with his present club.
Nainggolan, 29, signed a new deal with AS Roma through the 2020-21 season, putting the Belgian box-to-box mid at the heart of i Lupi‘s plans to chase down Juventus.
[ MORE: Chatting with De Rossi ]
Nainggolan has been in the last two Serie A Best XIs.
The 29-times capped Belgian has six goals for his national team, and has 255 Serie A appearances between Cagliari and Roma. Nainggolan has 31 goals and 18 assists in those matches, scooping 62 yellows and two send-offs but never being handed straight red.
While it’s a perceived blow for his Premier League suitors, it’s a welcome retention for Roma. He’s arguably the reason Roma was ready to part with Michael Bradley in 2014, and you can see why: He plays right up to the line but knows right where it lies.
ST. VEIT, Austria (AP) Local authorities in southern Austria have called off Sunday’s friendly match between Udinese and Hannover as the estimated number of spectators exceeds the capacity of the stadium.
The city of St. Veit says about 4,000 fans, including 280 potential football hooligans, were expected for the game at the ground of local amateur club FC Alpe Adria, which has a capacity of 2,430.
St. Veit mayor Gerhard Mock says “it’s a shame … but security comes first.”
It’s not immediately clear whether the match between the Italian and German top-flight teams can be moved to a larger venue. Both Udinese and Hannover are having their preseason training camps in the province of Carinthia.
Wayne Rooney will play his first competitive game for Everton in 13 years.
[ LIVE: Europa League scores ]
That storyline will dominate Everton’s return to Europe as they kick off their 2017-18 UEFA Europa League campaign in front of a packed house at Goodison Park on Thursday.
The Toffees welcome Slovakian side MFK Ruzomberok for the first leg of the third qualifying round as they aim to make it back to the group stage for the first time since 2014-15.
Click on the link above to follow not only Everton’s game but all of the Europa League qualifiers going on across Europe this afternoon with the likes of AC Milan, Fenerbache, PSV, Marseille and Athletic Bilbao all in action.
If Ronald Koeman‘s side successfully navigate their way past Ruzomberok then they will be in the play-off round which is the final hurdle before the group stage.