“At this time we have not received any offer from Liverpool for Balotelli. Therefore, there is no negotiation. We will see as the transfer market ends on 1 September.”
Now, however, Barrett is claiming over Twitter that “[t]he situation with Liverpool & Balotelli has moved on in the last 12 hours,” although talks are still at an early stage. Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano of Sky Sport has added fuel to the flame by reporting that despite Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers’ desire to secure a loan with an option to buy, Milan are seeking a permanent cash deal for Balotelli.
The striker last played in the Premier League for Manchester City before being sold to Milan in January 2013 for $28 million. During the Italian’s three seasons in England he scored 30 goals in 80 appearances before moving on to the Rossoneri and scoring 30 goals in 56 matches.
The 24-year-old is under contract until June 2017 and has widely been linked a move away from San Siro this summer. Below are the relevant tweets from Barrett and Romano:
The situation with Liverpool & Balotelli has moved on in the last 12 hours or so. An initial loan inquiry has led to talks with AC Milan.
Scoring at Anfield doesn’t get old, especially when your name is Steven Gerrard.
The English midfielder was playing in a friendly match between Liverpool and Real Madrid “legends” on Sunday, when he delivered this tasty goal (and assists to Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler, and John Aldridge).
Gerrard redirects a cross over a lunging defender and into a place where he can lash a goal home to put the Reds up 4-0. He dedicated his Man of the Match performance to club legend Ronnie Moran, who died earlier this week.
Real’s comeback came up just short in a 4-3 final, with Fernando Morientes, Ruben de la Red, and Edwin Congo scoring for the visitors.
On a Sunday waiting for the international matches to begin, Gerrard supplies a nice highlight for the rest of us (Extended highlights free on Liverpool’s site).
Mesut Ozil is on international break, and bristling at reports that Arsenal is going to sell him.
The midfielder’s absence from the lineup last week had plenty speculating on his future, even more than usual. His contract expires in 2018, and several reports claimed he’d join Alexis Sanchez as players destined for elsewhere.
“And you think Wenger tells the journalist before he tells me? Then I know him differently,” Ozil told German outlet Welt.
“I have a contract until 2018 in London and I feel very comfortable there. We’ll talk soon and then make a decision.”
Metro notes that Ozil also said he wants to win the Champions League, something that can only happen with Arsenal remaining in the Top Four. We suppose you could make snarky inferences from his “comfortable in London” phrasing, but we’ll leave it there.