Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United

9 Comments

Another day means one thing,  another star is reportedly heading to Manchester United. This time Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso is the man linked with a move to Old Trafford.

Alonso, 32, has played in the Premier League before, for United’s bitter rivals Liverpool. The Spanish international left Liverpool in 2009 and won the UEFA Champions League with Real last season, while also having the 2010 World Cup and both the 2008 and 2012 European Championship titles with Spain under his belt.

[RELATED: United sign Marcus Rojo]

Tidy on the ball and possessing a biting tackle, Alonso compliments Real’s superstars superbly as he wins the ball and distributes it to Gareth Bale, Cristiano Ronaldo and co. with minimum fuss. Could he soon be doing the same for Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie? Having Alonso sit in midfield alongside fellow Spaniards Juan Mata and Ander Herrera would be a joy to behold. He would bring the right amount of grit and determination but could also knock the ball around with Herrera and Mata in the middle to create a hub of ingenuity in Louis van Gaal’s new-look team. Earlier on in the summer van Gaal was said to be in for AC Milan midfielder Nigel de Jong but interest in the player he coached for the Dutch national team has since dwindled.

[RELATED: Thursday’s Rumor Roundup]

According to the Daily Express, Alonso is available to move as Real Madrid try to trim their ridiculously large squad which is at least two deep in every position. At Real he has to compete with Toni Kroos, Sami Khedira, Asier Illarramendi and Luka Modric just to get in the team. With United chasing Arturo Vidal and Kevin Strootman this summer, Alonso could be a great buy in the meantime. Vidal’s protracted move from Juventus seems to be fizzling out, while Dutch international Strootman is out inured until at least December.

[RELATED: Di Maria wants to leave Real Madrid]

Plus, if United move in for Alonso it will actually scupper Arsenal and Chelsea’s plans to buy Khedira from Real. However with news arriving on Thursday that Khedira has rejected a new deal at Real Madrid, perhaps Alonso will remain in Madrid.

A few stumbling blocks could line this deal, one being Alonso’s refusal to play for United having formally been a fans favorite after starring for Liverpool in a five-year spell where he won the Champions League and numerous other trophies. However if the Spaniard fancies a return to the North West of England, a move to United would seal that. But why shouldn’t Alonso remain at Real and fight for his spot?

Following United’s opening day defeat to Swansea City, new boss van Gaal is hurriedly knitting together a new team with less than two weeks until the transfer window slams shut. Will Alonso be a part of that team?

USMNT: Brooks out with hip strain; World Cup qualifiers loom

AP Photo/Michael Sohn
Leave a comment

John Brooks is out of Hertha Berlin’s lineup “for the time being” after scans revealed a hip strain suffered in this weekend’s win over Wolfsburg.

That’s all Hertha has said, and that makes it hard to imagine whether American fans should be a little concerned or very concerned ahead of the USMNT’s World Cup qualifiers against Mexico, and Trinidad and Tobago in early June.

Brooks was unavailable for two weeks with an adductor strain in September, missing a month before returning to the starting lineup.

The U.S. center back pool isn’t teeming after Brooks and Geoff Cameron. Matt Besler, Tim Ream, Omar Gonzalez, and Walker Zimmerman were called up for the last World Cup qualifiers, and Gonzalez struggled but is a Bruce Arena favorite from their time in L.A.

WATCH: Snazzy Sargent goal leads U.S. U-17s past Mexico

twitter.com/_joshsargent_
Leave a comment

Josh Sargent scored a pretty goal as the United States Soccer program had another banner day against Mexico.

Nearly two months to the day after the U.S. U-20 side beat Mexico for the first time in 31 years, the U.S. U-17 topped El Tri for the first time ever. That win snapped Mexico’s 25-match unbeaten streak.

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

The goal is the first of Sargent’s two goals, as the 16-year-old latched onto a long diagonal ball and used his right foot and head to move the ball into position for a strong shot.

The U.S. clinches a spot in the next round of U-17 World Cup qualifying with one match remaining in group play.

Sargent is from St. Louis and plays with Scott Gallagher-Missouri. Former Philadelphia Union coach John Hackworth coaches the U.S. U-17s.

Heads of South American soccer sent $128M in bank transfers

AP Photo/Esteban Felix
Leave a comment

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) The leaders of South America’s soccer confederation transferred $128.6 million between 2000 and 2015 to personal accounts, suspicious accounts, or unauthorized third-party accounts, according to an audit released Wednesday by Ernst & Young.

According to the audit presented to the annual CONMEBOL congress in the Chilean capital, the confederation’s former president Nicolas Leoz transferred $26.9 million to his personal accounts. Leoz was the president for 27 years until resigning in 2013 for what he said were health reasons.

The audit also found $58 million in payments “to third parties without adequate documentation,” payments of $33.3 million to “unidentified accounts,” and $10.4 million to “suspicious third-parties.”

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

“We had said that we would have four pillars, and the first two pillars were clear accounts and accountability,” said Alejandro Dominguez, the president of CONMEBOL who commissioned the audit last year. “Today we are accountable to the leaders and the whole world of football.”

Leoz, 88, is one of three ex-presidents of CONMEBOL accused on corruption charges by the United States Department of Justice. He is in Paraguay fighting extradition to the United States.

The South American body has been plagued by corruption, which was exposed two years ago during the FIFA scandal. Leoz’s two successors, Eugenio Figueredo and Juan Angel Napout, were both arrested on corruption charges.

“I’m here, I’m the manager” – Moyes will not quit Sunderland

Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Leave a comment

This has been one horrible stretch for David Moyes.

The Sunderland manager probably thought he’d been through the worst once he left Real Sociedad, where he went 12-15-15.

But he’s managed just seven wins and seven draws in 38 matches in charge of the Black Cats — an 18 percent win mark. He’s also been charged for threatening to slap a female journalist.

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

And after Wednesday, Moyes has lost both of his derby matches against Middlesbrough.

Sunderland is 12 points back of safety with five matches left. The odds the Black Cats are headed for the Championship are somewhere north of 99 percent, and fans are calling for his job.

Well, he isn’t quitting. From the BBC:

“No, I’m here, I’m the manager, you take it on the chin. … I’m a football supporter, I know what it’s like. You don’t like seeing your team lose.

“There is nobody who wants to win more than me. I am used to winning, I’m not used to losing and I don’t want to get used to it either.”