United States men’s national team stars making the move to Major League Soccer have traditionally been allowed to choose their team without league or allocation order interference.
That may not be the case for USMNT midfielder Jermaine Jones. The 32-year-old German-born mid wants to play for Chicago, but The Sporting News is reporting that he may not get past New England.
[ RELATED: Americans Abroad preview – Guzan, Howard face stiff tests; Bundesliga opens ]
And that’s a problem. Jones has apparently agreed to a contract figure with MLS in order to get him into Frank Yallop’s Fire, but New England wants him for their squad. Jones isn’t averse to New England, but would want more money to go there.
So there’s the rub.
From The Sporting News:
As reported by Goal USA earlier this month, Jones rejected a two-and-a-half year, $6 million contract offer to join the Fire earlier this month, but negotiations with MLS continued, which opened the door for the Revolution to enter the conversation to sign the World Cup standout. Jones, who originally had desires to play in or closer to Los Angeles to be closer to his family, has chosen to accept the most recent MLS contract offer to play for the Fire, but sources tell Goal USA that MLS is not willing to guarantee that Jones would be sent to the Fire upon signing a deal.
That stance is a puzzling one considering how the acquisitions of U.S. national team starters and designated players have been treated in the past. U.S. regulars have traditionally signed with MLS knowing which team they were signing to play with. The same has applied to all of the designated players previously signed by MLS.
Why the league is handling Jones differently remains a mystery, but as things stand, Jones might wind up having to seek options in Europe if he and MLS can’t come to an agreement before the league’s roster-freeze deadline of Sept. 15.
Jones most recently played at Besiktas after stints at Schalke, Blackburn Rovers, Eintracht Frankfurt and Bayer Leverkusen. The league plays loose with its rules, and needs to find a way to get Jones to his preferred destination.
PARIS (AP) A French official says police investigating suspected tax fraud linked to the soccer industry have raided the headquarters of Paris Saint-Germain and the homes of three Argentine players in France.
The official said anti-corruption police units searched the homes of PSG players Angel Di Maria and Javier Pastore, and that of Nantes forward Emiliano Sala on Tuesday.
[ MORE: Real Madrid signs $50m teen ]
Police also raided the head offices of PSG at Parc des Princes and other offices in Boulogne-Billancourt, outside the French capital, the official said.
The official, familiar with the case, declined to be identified because the investigation is ongoing.
The national financial prosecutor’s office opened an investigation in December after so-called “football leaks” reports allegedly detailed tax arrangements by top players, coaches and clubs.
Real Madrid didn’t wait long after learning Vinicius Junior was healthy.
The 16-year-old Flamengo star is committed to the Bernabeu after passing a physical, and Real Madrid announced Tuesday that they’ll have their new player no later than July 2019.
The reported fee is $50 million, which would be the most money spent on a Brazilian player since Barcelona landed Neymar for about $64 million in 2013.
[ VOTE: Premier League Goal of the Season ]
The forward has made two appearances for Flamengo, and turns 17 on July 12. He has 19 goals in 22 appearances for Brazil’s U-17 side.
Here’s Real’s announcement:
Real Madrid C. F. and Clube de Regatas do Flamengo have reached an agreement regarding the transfer of the federative rights of the player Vinicius Junior from July 2018. The player will remain at his current club until July 2019, although he will be able to play for Real Madrid before then if both clubs agree to it.
Okay, so you have 1064 to choose from, so choose wisely…
[ MORE: Full 2016-17 PL season reviews ]
The 2016-17 Premier League season is over but you can vote for your favorite goal of the campaign up until June 1.
Simply click on the video above to watch the contenders compiled by Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe, and then you can vote by clicking here.
MADRID (AP) Spanish authorities say former Barcelona president Sandro Rosell and his wife have been detained in a probe over his businesses in Brazil.
[ MORE: Full 2016-17 season reviews ]
The detentions early Tuesday are part of a money laundering investigation related to buying television rights for past matches of Brazil’s national team.
Three other people have been detained, but their identities were not immediately released by authorities.
Police raided offices, homes, and businesses in Barcelona and other locations in Spain as part of “Operation Rimet,” in reference to former FIFA President Jules Rimet.
Authorities said the operation used information from the FBI following the U.S. case against high-level FIFA officials in 2015.
Rosell is already standing trial for fraud and corruption charges involving the 2013 transfer of Brazilian striker Neymar.