Algerian league striker dies after head injury from thrown object


The leading scorer in last year’s Algerian league has died after an object thrown from the stands hit him in the head.

The CAF confirmed that 24-year-old striker Albert Ebosse of JS Kabylie died at the hospital after he was struck in the waning moments of a match with USM Alger.

Kabylie had lost the match 2-1, but Ebosse was the man to pick up their goal.Β  He was hit with the object towards the end of the game.

The club confirmed a police investigation would take place, and CAF president Issa Hayatou said “exemplary sanctions to be taken against this grave act of violence.” Hayatou added that they will take action because “African football cannot be the breeding ground for hooliganism whatsoever.”

The identity of the object was not officially released, but a story on the JS Kabylie team website suggests that a “shower of stones” from home fans came down on the opening of the player tunnel following the match, and that Ebosse was not specifically targeted.

Ebosse had previously played in Malaysia as well as his home country of Cameroon. He led the Algerian league last year with 19 goals, and had two in two matches to open the new campaign.

According to the team website, hundreds of supporters have gathered at the stadium to pay their respects,

The problem of objects thrown from stands is nothing new, but it rarely has this type of result. The most recent similar situation occurred when a teenage fan of Corinthians was killed by a flare during the celebration of a goal.

Ronaldo: “I always believe I am the best”

Getty Images
Leave a comment

You’ve got to appreciate the over-sized ego of Cristiano Ronaldo, even if it is deserved.

The 33-year-old Real Madrid striker was bestowed the 2017 Player of the Year award from the Portugal FA, earning 65 percent of the vote. But more than winning yet another trophy to add to his burgeoning case was what he told the media after accepting the award.

“We have to defend what is ours because there is always a Portuguese in the fight (for the top awards),” Ronaldo said, via AS. “I always believe and say that I am the best, whatever they say, and then I show it in the field. We are in the fight year after year.”

Ronaldo did score 42 goals last year for Real Madrid and has scored 18 goals in 2018 alone already for Los Blancos as the club look to go back-to-back-to-back in the UEFA Champions League.

Miazga: “We’re all ready to make an impression” with USMNT

Getty Images
1 Comment

Last October, for reasons unknown, Matt Miazga didn’t make the U.S. Men’s National Team squad for its final two World Cup qualifiers.

Five months later, he’s risen to the top of the centerback depth chart.

[MORE: Digging into the USMNT roster]

The hulking centerback spoke on Tuesday as the USMNT started off its training camp in Cary, N.C., noting that the youth-laden squad wanted to make an impression to stay in the picture moving forward. With four years until the next World Cup and still more than a year until competitive matches, there is still plenty of shuffling and expanding of the player pool to do before then.

Have a listen to Miazga and enjoy the sights and sounds of the USMNT training camp ahead of its friendly match against Paraguay.


Banker Gaetano Micciche elected Serie A president

Getty Images
Leave a comment

MILAN (AP) Bank boss Gaetano Micciche has been elected president of Serie A.

Micciche, the president of Banca IMI, was chosen unanimously on Monday by the Italian league’s 20 clubs.

He succeeds Maurizio Beretta, who left the position nearly a year ago.

[ MORE: Serie A scores, schedule ]

The league has been under emergency leadership, first by former Italian football federation president Carlo Tavecchio then by Italian Olympic Committee president Giovanni Malago.

Malago recommended Micciche for the position.

The federation remains under emergency leadership following Tavecchio’s resignation in the wake of Italy’s failure to qualify for the World Cup.

Report: Liverpool to resist all offers for Salah

Getty Images
1 Comment

Liverpool has a message for any club looking to sign Mohamed Salah this summer: Not gonna happen.

The Merseyside club has reportedly said it will “not sell Salah under any circumstances this summer” as the Reds look to hold off the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona, according to The Telegraph. Salah’s four-goal tally against Watford on Saturday took his goal total to an incredible 28 in 32 Premier League games, with another seven goals in cup competitions.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Liverpool famously kept Barcelona – and Arsenal – off Luis Suarez after the Uruguayan striker wanted to leave in 2013, but Liverpool was only able to stop Barcelona from signing Philippe Coutinho for six months.

As things stand, Liverpool are qualified for the 2018-2019 UEFA Champions League with the club sitting in a top four Premier League place, and keeping Salah is absolutely vital if the Reds want to make a deep run in the competition and compete for a Premier League title. It remains to be seen though if Salah is happy to stay at Liverpool or if a big-money offer from Spain or France can tempt him otherwise to set himself and his family financially for life.