Inzahgi

Filippo Inzaghi: Balotelli’s departure will fuel winning desires of AC Milan

Leave a comment

Mario Balotelli has experience in the Premier League with three years at Manchester City, and right now, he looks set to make his way back to England, nearing an exit to Liverpool in the range of $21.65 million fee.

The Italian striker certainly helped the chances of AC last season, scoring 18 goals in all competitions to lead the team, but an 8th place finish in Serie A was not the season’s conclusion that Milan can accept.

Even though Balotelli topped the stat sheet, Rossoneri manager Filippo Inzaghi has revealed that his absence could actually to a successful year and a top-tier attitude.

“When a player leaves, it means all the parties involved took the decision. We are certainly losing a great player, but we gain something more in team spirit and hunger. I wish Balo all the best at Liverpool,” he said.

Arsenal youngster Joel Campbell, who impressed spectators at the World Cup playing for his home country of Costa Rica, has recently been linked to replace the ex-Inter Milan forward.

As far as immediate signings, though, Inzaghi feels that his squad can still be competitive with their current outlook. He believes adding a certain footballer to the roster could serve a purpose, and it’s up to the management.

“The directors know what I want in the market. I have to train the players at my disposal and we have a squad up to the task. If someone else arrives, even better, but otherwise we’re fine as we are,” he said. “Jeremy Menez can play any of the three attacking roles and help us to use a different system. He is a versatile player who will be of great use.”

WATCH: Zlatan scores on Man Utd debut; Rooney gets two as Man United win big

Manchester United, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Photo credit: Manchester United / Twitter: @ManUtd)
Photo credit: Manchester United / Twitter: @ManUtd
Leave a comment

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is off and running for Manchester United.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

The big Swede was fully expected to immediately provide a Zlatan-sized impact from the outset of his time in the Premier League, but four minutes into his Man United tenure? It was unthinkably quick, even by Zlatan’s otherworldly standards and expectations. Good to see the scissor-kick make an appearance so far in advance of the PL season, which kicks off two weeks from today.

As for the rest of Jose Mourinho’s Red Devils, seeing Wayne Rooney bag a second-half brace, just three minutes between goals, could well be the most welcome sign of all for the red half of Manchester. His positional deployment on this day? The no. 10 role, just behind Zlatan.

Man United went on to defeat Galatasaray by the final score of 5-2.

New video arrives showing Lloris injured before Eder’s EURO goal

PARIS, FRANCE - JULY 10: Hugo Lloris of France dives in vain as Eder of Portugal scores the opening goal during the UEFA EURO 2016 Final match between Portugal and France at Stade de France on July 10, 2016 in Paris, France.  (Photo by Matthias Hangst/Getty Images)
Photo by Matthias Hangst/Getty Images
Leave a comment

At the risk of tooting my own horn, count me among the few who thought Hugo Lloris might’ve done a bit better on Eder‘s EURO winning goal.

It wasn’t a howler. But the French goalkeeper, one of the best in the world, seemed a tad slow to explode toward the right post when Eder let rip with a new legendary Portuguese shot.

[ MORE: Gameiro joins new club ]

It seems there’s good reason for this, as Lloris was injured just before the goal. Raphael Guerriero bent a gorgeous free kick off the cross bar, as you might remember, one that sent the goalkeeper clattering into the goal post.

This new video shows the Spurs goalkeeper favoring his right side or leg for the next minute, and that’s the leg he uses to drive his body low toward Eder’s bounding shot.

What do you think? Did it make a difference? Or was Eder’s shot plenty good on merit?

New England’s Davies reveals cancer fight, remission

New York Red Bulls v New England Revolution - Eastern Conference Final - Leg 2
Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images
Leave a comment

New England Revolution forward Charlie Davies is in remission after being treated for liposarcoma this Spring.

The 30-year-old striker took some time off from the team this Spring, and revealed his battle on Saturday.

[ MORE: Gameiro joins new club ]

According to the Liddy Shriver Sarcoma Initiative, “Liposarcoma is a rare cancer of connective tissues that resemble fat cells under a microscope. It accounts for up to 18% of all soft tissue sarcomas. Liposarcoma can occur in almost any part of the body, but more than half of liposarcoma cases involve the thigh, and up to a third involve the abdominal cavity.”

Davies has had his fair share of obstacles to overcome, having been involved in a massive car accident in 2009 that lacerated his bladder, left bleeding on the brain and broke several bones.

He missed six months for then-club Sochaux, and struggled to regain the form that saw him score four goals in 17 caps for the USMNT. He enjoyed a renaissance last summer with 10 goals for the Revolution.

From a release:

“Today, New England Revolution forward Charlie Davies shared that earlier this spring he was diagnosed and treated for liposarcoma and that he is now in remission. It was important for Charlie to concentrate on his family and treatment during the past few weeks and the club honored his wish for privacy. The New England Revolution will continue to support him through full recovery and are looking forward to seeing him back out on the pitch. Any fans who wish to share support should tweet or tag messages to Charlie at @CharlieDavies9 or use the hashtag #CD9.”

All our best to CD9 and his family, who braved two children born three months premature.

Klopp says, “This is my team now”; Does Sturridge Dance (video)

PASADENA, CA - JULY 27:  Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp looks on prior to the start of the match against Chelsea during the 2016 International Champions Cup at Rose Bowl on July 27, 2016 in Pasadena, California.  (Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)
Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Make no mistake about it, Jurgen Klopp has his team at Anfield.

The Liverpool manager, 49, took over for Brendan Rodgers in January and made some encouraging strides given that he was left with players who weren’t all designed for his system.

[ MORE: Januzaj wants United exit ]

Enter Sadio Mane and Georginio Wijnaldum. Bring on Ragnar Klavan and Marko Grujic.

Enter Klopp’s squad, from Sky Sports:

“This is my squad now,” Klopp said. “After all the transfers…this time it is my team. There are probably no players here anymore I don’t want. There are no signings I didn’t want, we have not sold anyone I didn’t want to.”

“I’m not afraid of making decisions – it’s part of the job,” Klopp added. “I am happy with my team now – all I can say is we will be a challenger.

That “not sold anyone I didn’t want to” part sounds a bit like some sour grapes from Borussia Dortmund, where Klopp watched several of his best skip town.

On a lighter note, Klopp cut a rug for a group of young fans at Liverpool, and the Reds were good enough to film it for us.

“If you do it long enough, you can fly”. Head down for some classic, but ultimately very misleading, Klopp.