Sam Allardyce slams officials after West Ham “taught a lesson” by Saints

3 Comments

On Saturday West Ham United took an early 1-0 lead against Southampton. They threw it away and lost 3-1 after a shocking second half display.

Sam Allardyce’s men weren’t quite on top after a lackluster first half but they were ahead. The turning point of the game was Morgan Schneiderlin’s effort just before half time which made it 1-1 as the Hammers squandered their advantage with some sloppy defending.

[RELATED: West Ham 1-3 Southampton]

Saints totally dominated the second half as they bossed possession, had numerous chance to score and eventually banged in two more to seal a comfortable 3-1 win.

After the game Allardyce told reporters he was not happy with Mike Dean’s awarding of a corner, when it should have been a goal kick, in the lead up to Saints’s second goal. Here’s what ‘Big Sam’ had to say.

“We weren’t good enough. Southampton taught us a lesson, we weren’t sharp enough and didn’t retain the ball as well as they did, close down as well as they did and gifted them two goals. As much as they were in control and on top of the game we’ve lost two very stupid goals from set-pieces.

“The big problem I had with the corner [for the second goal] was that it was a goal-kick of course. I’ve had a look at it on the laptop and can the referee see it? Was he blocked and why didn’t he make the right decision? Having looked at it from Mike Dean’s position he’s got it horribly wrong when we don’t need it to go against us.”

Hammers fans will be upset that Allardyce has turned on the officials, when clearly his side weren’t at the races.

Allardyce’s complaints may be just, but Saints had earlier had a clearly legitimate goal chalked off for offside as the Hammers got away with one. Graziano Pelle tucked home at the back post when he was level with West Ham’s defense but the goal was called out for offside. Allardyce seems to have forgotten that fact as things, as they often do in soccer, eventually evened themselves out.

[RELATED: Song arrives at West Ham]

West Ham’s fans aired their displeasure throughout a tepid second half display, as the Upton Park faithful continue their vendetta against Allardyce and his style of play which is branded as ‘one-dimensional’ and ‘long-ball’ by many. In midweek West Ham lost on penalty kicks to League One Sheffield United and after a promising win away at Crystal Palace last weekend, Hammers fans seem to be on their managers back once again.

After a poor season last term where West Ham just about stayed up but failed to impress with their displays, you get the feeling, already, that Allardyce is on borrowed time in East London. That seems crazy to say three games into the current season, but being lambasted by his own fans is nothing new to the former Bolton manager.

He has been criticized for over two years and if his team put in a few more shocking displays like this, West Ham’s fans may get what they wish for. Allardyce out.

USMNT: Brooks out with hip strain; World Cup qualifiers loom

AP Photo/Michael Sohn
Leave a comment

John Brooks is out of Hertha Berlin’s lineup “for the time being” after scans revealed a hip strain suffered in this weekend’s win over Wolfsburg.

That’s all Hertha has said, and that makes it hard to imagine whether American fans should be a little concerned or very concerned ahead of the USMNT’s World Cup qualifiers against Mexico, and Trinidad and Tobago in early June.

Brooks was unavailable for two weeks with an adductor strain in September, missing a month before returning to the starting lineup.

The U.S. center back pool isn’t teeming after Brooks and Geoff Cameron. Matt Besler, Tim Ream, Omar Gonzalez, and Walker Zimmerman were called up for the last World Cup qualifiers, and Gonzalez struggled but is a Bruce Arena favorite from their time in L.A.

WATCH: Snazzy Sargent goal leads U.S. U-17s past Mexico

twitter.com/_joshsargent_
Leave a comment

Josh Sargent scored a pretty goal as the United States Soccer program had another banner day against Mexico.

Nearly two months to the day after the U.S. U-20 side beat Mexico for the first time in 31 years, the U.S. U-17 topped El Tri for the first time ever. That win snapped Mexico’s 25-match unbeaten streak.

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

The goal is the first of Sargent’s two goals, as the 16-year-old latched onto a long diagonal ball and used his right foot and head to move the ball into position for a strong shot.

The U.S. clinches a spot in the next round of U-17 World Cup qualifying with one match remaining in group play.

Sargent is from St. Louis and plays with Scott Gallagher-Missouri. Former Philadelphia Union coach John Hackworth coaches the U.S. U-17s.

Heads of South American soccer sent $128M in bank transfers

AP Photo/Esteban Felix
Leave a comment

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) The leaders of South America’s soccer confederation transferred $128.6 million between 2000 and 2015 to personal accounts, suspicious accounts, or unauthorized third-party accounts, according to an audit released Wednesday by Ernst & Young.

According to the audit presented to the annual CONMEBOL congress in the Chilean capital, the confederation’s former president Nicolas Leoz transferred $26.9 million to his personal accounts. Leoz was the president for 27 years until resigning in 2013 for what he said were health reasons.

The audit also found $58 million in payments “to third parties without adequate documentation,” payments of $33.3 million to “unidentified accounts,” and $10.4 million to “suspicious third-parties.”

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

“We had said that we would have four pillars, and the first two pillars were clear accounts and accountability,” said Alejandro Dominguez, the president of CONMEBOL who commissioned the audit last year. “Today we are accountable to the leaders and the whole world of football.”

Leoz, 88, is one of three ex-presidents of CONMEBOL accused on corruption charges by the United States Department of Justice. He is in Paraguay fighting extradition to the United States.

The South American body has been plagued by corruption, which was exposed two years ago during the FIFA scandal. Leoz’s two successors, Eugenio Figueredo and Juan Angel Napout, were both arrested on corruption charges.

“I’m here, I’m the manager” – Moyes will not quit Sunderland

Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Leave a comment

This has been one horrible stretch for David Moyes.

The Sunderland manager probably thought he’d been through the worst once he left Real Sociedad, where he went 12-15-15.

But he’s managed just seven wins and seven draws in 38 matches in charge of the Black Cats — an 18 percent win mark. He’s also been charged for threatening to slap a female journalist.

[ PL PREVIEW: Manchester Derby ]

And after Wednesday, Moyes has lost both of his derby matches against Middlesbrough.

Sunderland is 12 points back of safety with five matches left. The odds the Black Cats are headed for the Championship are somewhere north of 99 percent, and fans are calling for his job.

Well, he isn’t quitting. From the BBC:

“No, I’m here, I’m the manager, you take it on the chin. … I’m a football supporter, I know what it’s like. You don’t like seeing your team lose.

“There is nobody who wants to win more than me. I am used to winning, I’m not used to losing and I don’t want to get used to it either.”