Alderweireld

Transfer Rumor Roundup: Deadline Day Morning edition

Leave a comment

It’s that day again, and it’s time to bring you all the smattering of news this morning as the English transfer window slams shut later tonight.

There are rumors across the entirety of the league, so we’ll run down them here.

The closest to completion at the moment appears to be Southampton‘s acquisition of Atletico Madrid and World Cup defender Toby Alderweireld (pictured).

The Belgian was a big – and successful – part of Marc Wilmots’ push to the World Cup quarterfinals and ESPN is reporting Ronald Koeman has tied up a season-long loan for the Madrid defender.  At 25 years old, he moved from Ajax to the Spanish capital last summer on the Spanish Deadline Day but he’s been in and out of the squad.

French media outlet RMC Sport is reporting that Marseille striker Andre Ayew is a wanted man in the Premier League, and that the club is looking to sell now that the Ghanan is in the last year of his contract.  The report says the 24-year-old has rejected Hull City, but is in serious negotiations with both Swansea City and Queens Park Rangers.

There’s been much talk of Southampton being done with their firesale (much to the chagrin of Morgan Schneiderlin) but Spurs aren’t done trying. According to The Independent as well as our very own Joe Prince-Wright, Tottenham have increased their offer for Jay Rodriguez in a last-ditch attempt to pry him away from his current club. The 25-year-old Burnley native is coming off ACL surgery, but that reportedly hasn’t warded off his former manager Mauricio Pochettino, who has apparently offered Andros Townsend in an improved offer. There is no word on exactly how much the new offer is for in addition to Townsend, but the report says the old offer was $23 million.  Townsend is reportedly fine with the move.

Crystal Palace is rumored to be bringing Wigan’s James McArthur back to the Premier League on a club record $11 million deal.  Multiple outlets are reporting the deal, and there is a picture that has surfaced of McArthur stepping out of a car at Palace’s Beckenham training ground.

Rumors yesterday were confirmed by the club that Toronto FC striker Jermain Defoe is a wanted man in the Premier League, and there is news that he’s currently in England. Sky Sports says he “doesn’t want to go back to Toronto.” Ouch.

It appears likely that Manchester City will be selling wantaway defender Matija Nastasic today, but the destination is yet unknown.  The Mirror‘s David Anderson has called Nastasic “hot property,” no surprise given the 21-year-old’s young age and performance in Manchester City’s runner-up season two years ago.  According to Anderson, teams in for him include Tottenham, Newcastle, Marseille, and Arsenal.

Another sale that could rock Manchester City is one involving Alvaro NegredoThere are reports that he could complete a season-long loan move to Valencia that would essentially act as a sale thanks to the “obligation” – not option – to buy for around $40 million. The Spaniard was a main component of City’s title-winning season, making 32 league appearances last year and scoring nine goals – plus five more in the Champions League – in a supporting role to Sergio Aguero.  He only joined City last summer as one of Manuel Pellegrini’s first signings.

Speaking of Arsenal, the BBC continues to maintain they are done with business for the transfer window, but that’s not stopping other media from linking them with just about every player out there.  The most recent one appears to be Swansea’s Wilfried Bony, according to the Daily Star‘s Duncan Wright.

Don’t forget to tune in to the “Transfer Deadline Day Show” on NBCSN (Monday, 6-8 p.m. ET).

Joe Hart’s agent confirms loan move to Torino

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 28: Joe Hart of Manchester City warms up prior to the Premier League match between Manchester City and West Ham United at Etihad Stadium on August 28, 2016 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Gareth Copley/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Joe Hart‘s Manchester City departure seems all but complete.

According to a report in Italy, the goalkeeper’s agent has confirmed a loan move to Torino is complete pending a medical.

“Yes, Joe Hart will play for Toro,” agent Jonathan Barnett told Tuttosport. “It’s all done, the goalkeeper said yes to the Granata and now Manchester City have given the green light. It’s all true, it’s secured. Tomorrow Hart will have a medical in Turin.”

Earlier Monday, it was reported that Hart was considering the offer but had not decided yet if this was the right course of action. Reports over the last week have stated the 29-year-old has been looking to leave Manchester City after being benched by Pep Guardiola, but preferred a permanent move to a loan due to the uncertainty for his family that comes with the short-term nature of a loan.

To back this up, Sky Sports reporter Gemma Davis tweeted that Hart has been given permission leave the England squad to travel to Torino for a medical. This is unlikely to affect Hart’s place in the England team, given they do not play until Sunday.

After two games in Serie A play, Torino sits seventh in the league table with a win and a loss so far. 30-year-old Daniele Padelli has started both games in goal, playing the full 90 minutes. Padelli has been the main man for Torino since his arrival in 2013, missing just a chunk of games two seasons ago when benched early in the year.

Reports: Nigel de Jong preparing to leave LA Galaxy for Galatasaray

Los Angeles Galaxy's Nigel de Jong, right, strikes the ball in front of San Jose Earthquakes' Quincy Amarikwa during the first half of a MLS soccer game Saturday, March 19, 2016, in Carson, Calif. (AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Multiple reports across both the United States and the Netherlands have claimed Nigel de Jong is close to a move to Turkish giants Galatasaray.

A report by AD writer Maarten Wijffles states that De Jong is currently in the country for talks. However, while L.A. Times writer Keith Baxter confirms that a deal is in progress, he claims the player is still currently situated in the United States and has not left for Turkey yet.

According to reports in Turkey, Galatasaray began its interest in De Jong only recently, when Newcastle enforcer Cheick Tiote apparently failed a medical. Other reports citing sources with Newcastle and the player have disputed this, saying talks instead broke down over personal terms.

De Jong had only joined Los Angeles at the end of the January transfer window, moving from A.C. Milan after the termination of his contract. The 31-year-old Dutchman made 18 appearances for the Galaxy and did not score a goal.

Between Tiote and De Jong, the Turkish club is clearly targeting a certain style of player. De Jong has been known throughout his career as a midfield enforcer, sometimes on the border of dirty play, and that did not change during his short time in Major League Soccer. He made several cringe-worthy tackles, including one in April on Darlington Nagbe that caused many to fear for Nagbe’s career until it was revealed he suffered just a sprained knee. Another in early July earned De Jong a straight red card against Vancouver in early July.

The Dutchman was thought to be taking over Steven Gerrard‘s Designated Player spot next year after his retirement at the end of the current season, but De Jong’s departure means the Galaxy could have an open DP slot next season.

Lionel Messi picks up hamstring injury, will travel with Argentina anyways

BARCELONA, SPAIN - AUGUST 20: Lionel Messi of FC Barcelona looks on during the La Liga match between FC Barcelona and Real Betis Balompie at Camp Nou on August 20, 2016 in Barcelona, Spain. (Photo by Alex Caparros/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lionel Messi’s “return” to the Argentinian national team may have to wait.

Barcelona has revealed their superstar picked up a left hamstring injury at an unspecified time, and discovered them during tests earlier on Monday. The statement said he would still travel to Argentina to link up with the national team for the international break, and will have more tests there.

Argentina, sitting in the third spot in CONMEBOL World Cup qualifying and just two points above elimination, have vital matches against Uruguay and Venezuela over the next week. “His presence in those matches will depend on how the injury develops,” the statement from Barcelona read.

It is unclear when Messi developed this injury. He has played the full 90 minutes in all four of Barcelona’s matches this season, including the 1-0 win over Athletic Bilbao on Sunday, the first of the four matches in which he did not score or assist a goal.

This also could be a bit of gamesmanship from Barcelona. Obviously, it benefits clubs for their players to rest during international breaks instead of play international matches, and for them to suddenly announce an injury to Lionel Messi would put pressure on Argentina to consider sitting their superstar. Of course, in attempts to dispel this idea, Barcelona included in their statement that the injury report was “approved by the FC Barcelona Medical Services and the Argentinian Football Association.”

A legitimate injury to Messi would be a devastating blow to Argentina considering Sergio Aguero has already withdrawn from the squad following an injury picked up against West Ham this weekend. Aguero was substituted in the 88th minute of Manchester City’s 3-1 win over the Hammers.

Messi was expected to make his first appearance to the national team setup after his brief “retirement” following the loss in the Copa America finals.

VIDEO: What will Southampton’s new star Boufal provide?

Leave a comment

Sofiane Boufal is a name many will be familiar with.

After his $21 million move to Southampton on Monday for a club-record fee, plenty of people are getting excited about seeing Boufal in the Premier League.

The Moroccan international is the type of player who has already become a cult figure due to the “Football Manager” video game, as his potential to become a star of European soccer has been well documented with huge teams interested in signing him over the past six months.

[ MORE: Fabregas wants Chelsea stay ]

That’s because Boufal, 22, shone for Lille last season, scoring 12 goals and his trickery, pace, set pieces and direct running saw him named as the best African player in Ligue 1.

He chose Southampton and it seems like a very wise choice after they helped turn the likes of Sadio Mane, Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw, plus many more, into top international players.

So, what have Southampton got in Boufal?

Take a look at the video above which gives a great overview of Boufal from his time at Lille after making the step up from Angers in Ligue 2 in January 2015.

That’s right, those comparisons with Riyad Mahrez seem pretty legit.