Ancelotti's ability to adjust to Atletico's neutralization of Cristiano Ronaldo is a token of his genius.

Cristiano Ronaldo hits out at Real Madrid’s transfer moves

8 Comments

Over the summer Real Madrid brought in World Cup stars Toni Kroos, James Rodriguez and Keylor Navas, while they also loaned in Javier Hernandez on Deadline Day.

Adding the top scorer at the World Cup, Rodriguez, arguably the best all-around player, Kroos, and one of the top ‘keepers, Navas, isn’t bad going, right? Ask Cristiano Ronaldo what he thinks…

[RELATED: Transfer window grades]

[RELATED: Every Deadline Day deal]

On Monday the Real star gave an honest assessment of the transfer dealings Carlo Ancelotti and his staff have done this summer and the reigning World and European Player of the Year didn’t seem too happy.

Real sold Angel di Maria to Manchester United and Xabi Alonso to Bayern Munich over the last week, as two of Real’s most important cogs in their machine were cast aside.

[RELATED: How Manchester United might line up with its new stars]

Here’s what Ronaldo had to say about those deals when asked by reporters, while he hung out at a racetrack with sponsors on transfer Deadline Day.

“My opinion is very clear but I can’t always say what I think…If I was in charge I wouldn’t have done things like this…But if the President thinks the best thing for the team is to sign the players he signed and let others leave you must respect and support his decisions. With the new players the style will change, but it could change for the best or the worse. Hopefully it is for the best as they are players of a very good level.

“Di Maria and Xabi were very important for us, but they are no longer here and we must be happy with the new players. I’m sure it will all go well. Ancelotti has a lot of experience and knows what the team needs and doesn’t need. We lost but there is no need for alarm, we have to let the boss work in peace.”

Well, tell us how you really feel, Cristiano.

The Portuguese star obviously felt some affinity towards Alonso and Di Maria and is therefore stating their departures are big deals. Which they are. However the part where the 29-year-old says “I wouldn’t have done things like this” seem to be more about where Real strengthened. With Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and Karem Benzema on board, did they really need an attacker like Rodriguez on board for $107 million? With a slightly porous defense, that’s being kind, you’d think Real would have worked hard to bring in defensive reinforcements this summer.

[RELATED: Latest transfer window news]

Over the weekend they were stunned 4-2 by Real Sociedad after leading 2-0 early on, as Real’s defense was shambolic and huge questions marks remain over the summer transfer policy of stardom over substance. That said, that has never been the way Florentino Perez has run the club as Los Galacticos continue to roll in the stars at the expense of having a balanced squad.

Speaking openly about a number of topics, Ronaldo also had plenty of praise for his former club, Manchester United, as the winger hailed Falcao’s arrival at Old Trafford.

[WATCH: Ronaldo’s distance blast highlights La Liga openers]

“He is a very good player, I think Manchester have done well to sign him,” Ronaldo said. “We are talking about a top player here and a fantastic signing.”

Does Ronaldo wish Falcao would have arrived at the Santiago Bernabeu instead of Rodriguez and Kroos?

Manchester United said to be offering $12 million bonus to Zlatan Ibrahimovic

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - APRIL 12:  Zlatan Ibrahimovic of Paris Saint-Germain beats Eliaquim Mangala (20) and Joe Hart of Manchester City to score, but his goal is disallowed during the UEFA Champions League quarter final second leg match between Manchester City FC and Paris Saint-Germain at the Etihad Stadium on April 12, 2016 in Manchester, United Kingdom.  (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)
Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Premier League sometimes seems to deal in funny money, and it might take just that to bring Zlatan Ibrahimovic across the English Channel.

The Swedish superstar, 34, is leaving Paris Saint-Germain this summer and is reportedly being targeted by several Premier League clubs.

[ MORE: LVG issues statement ]

With his old pal Jose Mourinho expected to take over at Manchester United, there’s been a natural batch of gossip linking the pair. Goal.com has claims of extraordinary dollar signs for the trophy-collecting Ibrahimovic.

Goal’s French site claims that Ibrahimovic would get close to a $12 million signing bonus to go with a huge weekly salary of approximately $363,000. Add that up, and you’re talking more than $560,000 a week.

The report spreads rumors of a $400,000-per-week offer from Major League Soccer for Zlatan, and that acquisition would certainly quell the minor storm caused by China’s acquisition of many big names.

We’ve always thought Ibrahimovic was more an Arsenal-style player, but imagine Mourinho running the Swede with Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford? Bonkers.

Ajax hires Peter Bosz as new coach to replace Frank de Boer

SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND - JULY 30:  Peter Bosz manager of Vitesse looks on ahead of the UEFA Europa League Third Qualifying Round 1st Leg match between Southampton and Vitesse at St Mary's Stadium on July 30, 2015 in Southampton, England.  (Photo by Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images)
Photo by Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images
Leave a comment

AMSTERDAM (AP) Ajax has signed Peter Bosz as its new coach, replacing Frank de Boer who announced earlier this month he was leaving the club after nearly six years in which he won four Dutch league titles.

Bosz, a former player and technical director at Ajax’s arch rival Feyenoord, is leaving Maccabi Tel Aviv to join the Amsterdam club on a three-year contract.

[ MORE: USMNT-Ecuador preview | Klinsmann eyes semis ]

In a statement late Tuesday, Bosz says it is an honor to join Ajax. He says, “I am very ambitious and so is Ajax.”

Ajax director Edwin van der Sar says that in Bosz, Ajax has hired a coach “who can make our talented squad even better.”

Ajax finished second behind PSV Eindhoven in the top flight Eredivisie season that has just ended.

WATCH: Neymar caught a bit offguard in first look at his wax figure

MADRID, SPAIN - MAY 22:  Neymar of FC Barcelona celebrates aftr scoring Barcelona's 2nd goal during the Copa del Rey Final between Barcelona and Sevilla at Vicente Calderon Stadium    on May 22, 2016 in Madrid, Spain.  (Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images)
Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images
Leave a comment

I remember the first time I saw the first of many life size wax replications of my body.

That is a sentence I am unlikely to ever utter, but Neymar is a different story.

[ MORE: USMNT-Ecuador preview | Klinsmann eyes semis ]

The 24-year-old Brazilian superstar was caught on camera witnessing his wax figure for the first time, and we can watch it thanks to FC Barcelona.

Look at this guy, looking at that guy. The most interesting part for me is his fascination with how well they did with his tattoos, which of course are easier to duplicate than, you know, a face:

Morris “completely respects” Klinsmann’s keeping him off USMNT roster

SEATTLE, WA - APRIL 20:  Seattle Sounders FC forward Jordan Morris speaks on stage during We Day at KeyArena on April 20, 2016 in Seattle, Washington.  (Photo by Mat Hayward/Getty Images for We Day)
Photo by Mat Hayward/Getty Images for We Day
Leave a comment

Seattle Sounders striker and USMNT star-in-waiting Jordan Morris struck a mature note when asked about his exclusion from Jurgen Klinsmann’s 23-man roster for this summer’s Copa America Centenario.

Some will have considered the youngster a lock for the roster, with Morris already boasting rarefied air as a college player to become something close to a national team regular while still in school.

[ MORE: USMNT-Ecuador preview | Klinsmann eyes semis ]

But Klinsmann opted for in-form San Jose striker Chris Wondolowski, and it has become old hat for MLS players to gripe when their name is not called by the German boss (See: Benny Feilhaber, Brad Evans and Landon Donovan).

Don’t count Morris in that group. Of course the youngster doesn’t have the tenure to rally against the man who gave him his shot in the first place, but that hasn’t stopped others from acting entitled to a roster spot.

From MLSSoccer.com:

“[Klinsmann] told me not take it too hard and that there was a lot of competition,” Morris said. “I completely respect his decision. There were a lot of good forwards playing and they’re all playing really well. I wish those guys all the best. It’s going to be a lot of fun to watch this summer.”

Morris can still end up on the roster through injury, and it’s easy to see him as the next name up should an attack-minded player take a knock. Stefan Frei told us last week that Morris is remarkably professional, and this is no exception.

The youngster did admit increased motivation from his omission, stating that “it gives you fuel to your fire to try and get back in the mix a little bit”. We have a feeling he won’t be out of that mix for long.