Ancelotti's ability to adjust to Atletico's neutralization of Cristiano Ronaldo is a token of his genius.

Cristiano Ronaldo hits out at Real Madrid’s transfer moves

8 Comments

Over the summer Real Madrid brought in World Cup stars Toni Kroos, James Rodriguez and Keylor Navas, while they also loaned in Javier Hernandez on Deadline Day.

Adding the top scorer at the World Cup, Rodriguez, arguably the best all-around player, Kroos, and one of the top ‘keepers, Navas, isn’t bad going, right? Ask Cristiano Ronaldo what he thinks…

[RELATED: Transfer window grades]

[RELATED: Every Deadline Day deal]

On Monday the Real star gave an honest assessment of the transfer dealings Carlo Ancelotti and his staff have done this summer and the reigning World and European Player of the Year didn’t seem too happy.

Real sold Angel di Maria to Manchester United and Xabi Alonso to Bayern Munich over the last week, as two of Real’s most important cogs in their machine were cast aside.

[RELATED: How Manchester United might line up with its new stars]

Here’s what Ronaldo had to say about those deals when asked by reporters, while he hung out at a racetrack with sponsors on transfer Deadline Day.

“My opinion is very clear but I can’t always say what I think…If I was in charge I wouldn’t have done things like this…But if the President thinks the best thing for the team is to sign the players he signed and let others leave you must respect and support his decisions. With the new players the style will change, but it could change for the best or the worse. Hopefully it is for the best as they are players of a very good level.

“Di Maria and Xabi were very important for us, but they are no longer here and we must be happy with the new players. I’m sure it will all go well. Ancelotti has a lot of experience and knows what the team needs and doesn’t need. We lost but there is no need for alarm, we have to let the boss work in peace.”

Well, tell us how you really feel, Cristiano.

The Portuguese star obviously felt some affinity towards Alonso and Di Maria and is therefore stating their departures are big deals. Which they are. However the part where the 29-year-old says “I wouldn’t have done things like this” seem to be more about where Real strengthened. With Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and Karem Benzema on board, did they really need an attacker like Rodriguez on board for $107 million? With a slightly porous defense, that’s being kind, you’d think Real would have worked hard to bring in defensive reinforcements this summer.

[RELATED: Latest transfer window news]

Over the weekend they were stunned 4-2 by Real Sociedad after leading 2-0 early on, as Real’s defense was shambolic and huge questions marks remain over the summer transfer policy of stardom over substance. That said, that has never been the way Florentino Perez has run the club as Los Galacticos continue to roll in the stars at the expense of having a balanced squad.

Speaking openly about a number of topics, Ronaldo also had plenty of praise for his former club, Manchester United, as the winger hailed Falcao’s arrival at Old Trafford.

[WATCH: Ronaldo’s distance blast highlights La Liga openers]

“He is a very good player, I think Manchester have done well to sign him,” Ronaldo said. “We are talking about a top player here and a fantastic signing.”

Does Ronaldo wish Falcao would have arrived at the Santiago Bernabeu instead of Rodriguez and Kroos?

Sassuolo’s victory over Pescara reversed to 3-0 loss

REGGIO NELL'EMILIA, ITALY - AUGUST 28:  (L-R)  Alessandro Matri of US Sassuolo competes for the ball with Cristiano Biraghi of Pescara Calcio during the Serie A match between US Sassuolo and Pescara Calcio at Mapei Stadium - Citta' del Tricolore on August 28, 2016 in Reggio nell'Emilia, Italy.  (Photo by Pier Marco Tacca/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

MILAN (AP) Sassuolo’s victory over Pescara has been reversed to a 3-0 loss.

Sassuolo won Sunday’s Serie A match 2-1 but the league now says it fielded an ineligible player.

The league says the paperwork for the signing of Antonino Ragusa, who played the final 25 minutes, had not been filed by noon the day before the match – as its rules demand.

Sassuolo says it followed the rules and will appeal.

The club was one of four teams to win both its opening matches, along with Genoa, Juventus and Sampdoria.

Report: Wilshere being chased by at least 22 clubs

Jack Wilshere, Arsenal FC
Leave a comment

Jack Wilshere won’t be with Arsenal following Wednesday’s transfer deadline, however, where the Gunners midfielder lands is yet to be seen.

[ MORE: Is David Luiz poised for a return to Stamford Bridge? ]

According to Daily Mail, as many as 22 clubs are in the mix to acquire Wilshere on loan, including various Premier League sides.

[ MORE: Aguero charged by FA, could be out for Manchester derby ]

While Daily Mail suggests that Crystal Palace is among the leaders to bring in the 24-year-old center midfielder this season, Bournemouth and Watford are also said to be in the mix to sign the playmaker.

Manager Arsene Wenger reportedly won’t allow the Englishman to go to any of the top four sides in England and also hopes that Wilshere lands outside of the UK .

Wilshere is also being chased by foreign clubs including Serie A sides Juventus and Roma.

The Gunners have been active as the deadline heads down its final hours, with Lucas Perez of Deportivo La Coruna and Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi both joining the club on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, young defender Calum Chambers has joined Middlesbrough on loan and Serge Gnarby is reportedly close to joining Werder Bremen after drawing significant interest from Bundesliga sides.

US women will host Switzerland twice in October

BRASILIA, BRAZIL - AUGUST 12:  Alex Morgan #13 of United States celebrates her goal to tie the game with teammates Mallory Pugh #2, Crystal Dunn #16 and Carli Lloyd #10 in the second half against Sweden during the Women's Football Quarterfinal match at Mane Garrincha Stadium on Day 7 of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games on August 12, 2016 in Brasilia, Brazil.  (Photo by Celso Junior/Getty Images)
Celso Junior/Getty Images
1 Comment

CHICAGO (AP) The U.S. women’s national team will host Switzerland for two matches this October in Minneapolis and Utah.

The matches for the defending World Cup champions are set for Oct. 19 at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah, and at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Oct. 23.

The U.S. team has played Switzerland just twice before, with the Americans winning both matches.

The United States is also facing Thailand on Sept. 15 in Columbus, Ohio, before playing the Netherlands in Atlanta on Sept. 18.

The team will be without goalkeeper Hope Solo, who was suspended from the team for six months following comments she made at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics. The United States was ousted by Sweden in the quarterfinals for the team’s earliest-ever exit at the Olympics.

Report: Florentin Pogba could join brother in Premier League

Florentin Pogba
Leave a comment

Just incase you were unaware, there’s another Pogba. And he too could be playing in the Premier League very soon.

[ MORE: Could David Luiz be making a return to Stamford Bridge? ]

While it was Paul Pogba that stole the spotlight when he returned to Manchester United for a world-record transfer fee, Florentin — his 26-year-old brother — is drawing interest from England’s top flight.

According to the Sun, David Moyes and Sunderland are launching an $8.5 million bid for the St Etienne defender as a potential replacement for Lamine Kone. The Black Cats still anticipate that Kone will exit the Stadium of Light this season after handing in a transfer request earlier this month.

Pogba has played with the Ligue 1 club since 2012 after joining from lower-division club Sedan. Additionally, the centerback has made 13 appearances for Guinea at the international level.