Shakhtar’s offices occupied by armed men as club remains in turmoil

Leave a comment

Worrying reports continue to spill out of Shakhtar Donetsk, as the Ukranian soccer powerhouse was occupied by armed men earlier Wednesday.

Details are scarce so far, but the incident comes on the heels of an Aug. 23 attack on the club’s stadium and several players refusing to play for the team earlier this summer as the turmoil in Ukraine drags on.

[ RELATED: ‘Powerful explosions’ rock Shakhtar’s stadium | Shakhtar players fear staying at club ]

The city of Donetsk is at the heart of the Russian/Ukrainian conflict.

From the Associated Press:

Shakhtar did not identify the men and said the “circumstances of what has happened are being investigated.”

The city of Donetsk is the largest under the control of pro-Russian rebels, and has been the scene of fighting between them and Ukrainian troops in recent weeks.

Shakhtar’s stadium, the Donbass Arena, suffered largely cosmetic damage from a mortar round last month.

The club’s training base was hit by two shells early Saturday, starting a fire which severely damaged the main building.

Shakhtar is playing its home games this season in the western Ukrainian city of Lviv.

From Shakhtar.com:

FC Shakhtar’s office at 86a Artema St in Donetsk was occupied by armed men. Circumstances of the incident are being investigated. In this connection, you are kindly requested to send official correspondence to the address: 189e Chelyuskintsiv St, Donetsk.

All our best hopes, obviously, for the entire region as we’re reminded how little sports can matter on a day-to-day basis.

Aguero injury update; Pellegrini pleased as City go top

Leave a comment

Relax Manchester City fans, Sergio Aguero is okay.

Aguero, 27, started up top in City’s 3-1 win over Southampton on Saturday as the Citizens momentarily went top of the Premier League ahead of the late game between Leicester City and Manchester United.

[ VIDEO: Vardy sets PL record ]

Even though Aguero didn’t get on the scoresheet, his movement caused Saints plenty of problems and despite Shane Long halving the deficit following Kevin De Bruyne and Fabian Delph‘s first half goals, City rallied and won 3-1 thanks to a late Aleksandar Kolarov strike.

All that aside, Aguero limped off injured in the second half and with a League Cup quarterfinal and big games in the PL and UEFA Champions League coming up, fears over the Argentine’s fitness once again surfaced.

Speaking to the media after the game Pellegrini revealed that Aguero should be fine.

“Kun [Aguero] came off as a precaution. I spoke with him before the game and we said he would play 65 minutes,” Pellegrini said. “He has a kick in his heel, but nothing important. I was very pleased with the team’s reaction. It was important to get three points against a team who were unbeaten away. We were a little nervous until the third goal, but I’m happy with the performance and the result.”

Aguero missed six weeks of action from October to November after a hamstring injury when playing for Argentina and whenever he’s been out of the team, especially over the past 12 months, City have missed him desperately. In that regard it is understandable that Pellegrini took no chances when Aguero went done with a slight injury against Southampton.

[ MORE: Twitter reacts to Vardy ]

Pellegrini also lamented referee Roger East for a few peculiar decisions, as both his side and Saints could’ve had penalty kicks in either half for handball incidents in the box. With City facing Hull City in the League Cup quarterfinals on Tuesday, Pellegrini’s players must now recover as he hinted at the importance of making the final four of the competition he won during his first season in charge.

Social media reacts to Jamie Vardy’s Premier League history-making goal

LEICESTER, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 28:  Jamie Vardy of Leicester City celebrates scoring his team's first goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Leicester City and Manchester United at The King Power Stadium on November 28, 2015 in Leicester, England.  (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)
Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Internet exploded at around 12:50 p.m. ET on Saturday after Jamie Vardy — yes, Jamie Vardy — broke Ruud van Nistelrooy’s Premier League record for most consecutive games with a goal.

[ WATCH: The goal | The game — Leicester City vs. Manchester United ]

Yes, an Englishman is back atop the charts. An Englishman who was playing for Stocksbridge Park Steels, Halifax Town and Fleetwood Town before heading to Leicester.

He’s perhaps the reminder, as Rio Ferdinand Tweeted below, that the most unlikely of scenarios is still not impossible.

Well done @vardy7! You're number one now and you deserved it. #11inarow.

A photo posted by Ruud van Nistelrooy (@rvnistelrooy) on

VIDEO: Vardy sets Premier League record, scores in 11-straight games

Leave a comment

He did it. He actually did it.

Jamie Vardy made Premier League history on Saturday, scoring for the 11th consecutive game to become the first player in history to achieve that magnificent feat.

[ MORE: Twitter reacts to Vardy ]

Tied with Manchester United legend Ruud van Nistelrooy heading into Leicester’s clash against United on Saturday, it took Vardy just 24 minutes to set the new record as Christian Fuchs played a delicate ball in-behind United’s defense and Vardy did the rest.

[ MORE: Can Vardy, Leicester achieve unthinkable? ]

Watch the video below to see the King Power Stadium erupt as a truly memorable moment arrived.

Now, the next record for Vardy to break is from the 1931-32 English top-flight season, before the PL was formed. Sheffield United’s Jimmy Dunne scored in 12-straight games way back then.

Anyway, congratulations Mr. Vardy for making PL history.

WATCH: Insane finish as Everton, Bournemouth trade stoppage time goals

Leave a comment

This was an all-timer.

Bournemouth came back from a 2-0 halftime deficit only to watch Ross Barkley hand Everton a one-goal lead with a score in the final minute of stoppage time.

[ MATCH RECAP: Bournemouth 3-3 Everton ]

But after fans were cleared from the field, Junior Stanislas provided the dramatic answer for Bournemouth to force a 3-3 draw at Dean Court.