The lightening of Luis Suarez’s ban for biting Giorgio Chiellini has allowed Luis’ lightning to strike on the pitch, albeit in a friendly against Barcelona B.
One of the newest at Camp Nou buried a pair of goals for Barcelona in a 60-minute friendly that saw the senior squad thump its B team 5-1.
Douglas and Marc-Andre ter Stegen also saw valuable minutes as Luis Enrique seeks out fitness for his players.
From The Daily Mail:
Suarez played well on top of his goals, working hard and unselfishly, making it clear that were it not for his ban, he would be in Luis Enrique’s side.
Tata Martino last season tried on occasion to arrange similar friendlies, but was told that it may affect Barca B’s schedule.
Enrique, on the other hand, didn’t take no for an answer and it is likely he will arrange at least two more games against Barca B before Suarez’s ban expires.
The aim is to have Suarez fit enough to play against Real Madrid, if needs be, which is the first match he is eligible for after his ban.
I’m sure the resigned — in more ways that one — Martino is super pleased to hear that what he thought would make Barca thrive is now acceptable practice.
Suarez played against Leon last month in the Joan Gamper Trophy competition, and it was revealed last week that Barca paid $106 million to acquire him from Liverpool (not the $128 million originally reported). Don’t know about you, but that makes a huge difference to me. I mean, I can barely subsist on the $22 million — minus almost $22 million — I brought in last year.
After scoring five goals against Newcastle United, Sergio Aguero may have to wait a bit of time to get back to scoring in the Premier League.
The Manchester City striker lasted just 25 minutes in Argentina’s World Cup qualifier on Thursday, as he was stretchered off with a hamstring injury.
Aguero underwent testing in Argentina, and told the local media “I think I’m going to be out for a month.”
[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]
Manchester City and Argentina teammate Nicolas Otamendi said Aguero was in tears in the dressing room, and some reports have penned the injury as a torn hamstring.
If Aguero were to be ruled out for a month, he would miss City’s Champions League clash vs. Sevilla, as well as the massive Manchester derby away at United on October 25.
To make matters worse for City supporters, David Silva was forced off after just ten minutes while playing for Spain today. Silva took a harsh challenge from behind, and hobbled off with what looked to be an ankle injury. If Silva’s injury ends up being more than just a knock, City could be without their two most important players in the attack.
Mario Gotze could be out of action until 2016 after picking up a groin injury on international duty.
The Bayern Munich midfielder suffered a tendon tear in his abductor muscle while stretching for a ball in Germany’s 1-0 loss to Ireland in EURO qualifiers on Thursday. He was taken off in the 35th minute.
Ruled out for 10-12 weeks, Gotze is likely to miss the rest of the first half of the season for Bayern. Their last league match of 2015 is on December 19, which is 11 weeks away. The Bundesliga then goes on winter break, with Bayern’s next match not until January 23.
[ RELATED: Sam Allardyce appointed Sunderland boss ]
Gotze will miss both of Bayern’s upcoming Champions League matches against Arsenal, which is good news for the Gunners as they are in desperate need of a result.
However, Arjen Robben is back in training and will make his return to action within the coming weeks. After starting the Bundesliga seasons with eight wins out of eight, Robben’s return would add just another weapon to Pep Guardiola’s dominant attack.
Robben has not played since being injured in early September while playing for the Netherlands, and could feature for Bayern against Werder Bremen next week.