Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images

Gulati, other organizers interested in more Copa America mash-ups

2 Comments

NEW YORK (AP) After staging a successful expanded Copa America in the United States for the tournament’s 100th anniversary, soccer officials intend to discuss whether to establish a new event that would see regular competition between the regions.

And, the U.S. Soccer Federation hopes this year’s tournament could be a springboard to hosting a World Cup for the second time.

[ MORE: All of PST’s USMNT coverage | Copa America 2016 ]

“We hope it influences where the 2026 World Cup will be,” U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati said Friday.

With only the final and third-place game remaining, the 16-nation tournament has drawn 1.36 million fans, an average of 45,491. That’s down from the 1994 World Cup in the U.S., but nearly double the average crowd of last year’s Copa America in Chile.

“These are World Cup numbers – World Cup numbers for an event organized in seven months with 16 teams,” Gulati said.

The Copa America, South America’s championship, is played quadrennially a year after the World Cup and includes that federation’s 10 nations and two invited teams. The CONCACAF Gold Cup, the championship of North and Central America and the Caribbean, is a 12-nation tournament played in odd-numbered years.

This year’s special Copa included 10 South American teams and six from CONCACAF. New CONCACAF president Victor Montagliani said a new event could be scheduled for the even-numbered years between World Cups – when the European Championship is played – or the year before World Cups.

[ MORE: Will USMNT go young in 3rd-place game vs. Colombia? ]

“Those are the two years that make sense,” he told The Associated Press. “Having said that, we still have to talk to FIFA. There’s a few hurdles to jump over: European clubs, all that kind of stuff. So we’ll see.”

Montagliani said CONCACAF would have to scale back the Gold Cup to once every four years to create room on soccer’s crowded calendar.

“We remain open to hearing any proposals and ideas,” new CONMEBOL President Alejandro Dominguez said. “It’s very important to remain open-minded, and this has been a success.”

Gulati joked that following Britain’s vote to leave the European Union, a new event could include England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

“Victor and I actually kicked around the idea this morning of 10 teams from CONMEBOL, 10 teams from CONCACAF and the four British teams that are now apparently looking for a place to play. It could be an interesting 24-team tournament to rival the Euro,” he said before turning serious. “The idea of doing a special event that is every four years or every eight years or every 100 years, whatever it might be, that’s something we can look at and talk about. That would be a situation that FIFA would need to put on the calendar for the non-CONMEBOL teams. Without that, it’s almost impossible for us to do it. Obviously, the event has gone well. It’s something that we should look at.”

[ MORE: Three things we learned from USA 0-4 ARG | Player ratings ]

This year’s Copa is the most significant soccer event in the U.S. since the 1994 World Cup, when the 52 matches set records with 3.59 million total attendance and a 68,991 average.

“Maybe in some markets lowering price would have led to more people; it would also have meant a huge effect on revenue in markets where you sold out, unless you’ve got variable pricing,” Gulati said.

Attendance and TV viewership, according to Gulati, are evidence “the U.S. is really very much an immigrant community.” Because of federal indictments of COMBEBOL and CONCACAF leaders, the event was not finalized until October.

U.S. games have ranged from 1.5 million to 3.3 million viewers on Fox Sports 1, but some Copa games had a small audience: 138,000 for Haiti-Peru, and 148,000 for Ecuador-Peru, both on Fox Sports 2, were the lows.

[ MORE: Gulati assigns significance of winning third-place game ]

Univision’s ratings for its Spanish-language telecasts have ranged from 5.6 million (Mexico-Jamaica, Mexico-Venezuela and Mexico-Chile) to 1.2 million (Panama-Bolivia). Argentina’s 4-0 semifinal win over the U.S. on Tuesday was seen by 8.1 million viewers in the U.S.: 4.8 million viewers on Univision and 3.3 million on Fox Sports 1. Chile’s rain-interrupted semifinal victory over Colombia on Wednesday averaged 971,000 viewers on Fox Sports 1 and 4 million on Univision.

Still, the audiences were well below World Cup levels. Germany’s win over Argentina in the 2014 final was seen by 26.5 million people on U.S. television: 17.3 million on ABC and 9.2 million on Univision.

Last year’s Copa America averaged 25,223, according to figures in match reports. The 2011 tournament in Argentina drew just under 34,000 and the 2007 edition in Venezuela about 40,000.

NOTES: Dominguez said CONMEBOL had proposed to the European governing body UEFA that the winner of Sunday’s Argentina-Chile final meet the winner of the European Championship on July 10 in a one-game match in South America this year. He said UEFA has not yet replied.

VIDEO: Asensio goal ends Real Madrid’s winless run

AP Photo/Francisco Seco
Leave a comment

Marco Asensio’s eighth goal of the season and second of this Copa del Rey put an end to an unlikely Real Madrid winless run in a 1-0 victory at Leganes.

[ MLS: 2018 Mock SuperDraft ]

The 21-year-old darted in front of a defender to volley home from in-tight, giving Real Madrid a first leg lead in the tournament quarterfinals.

More importantly, perhaps, it gives struggling Real a boost in morale after draws with Celta Vigo and Numancia, and a loss to Villarreal.

Real is home to Deportivo de la Coruna in La Liga before hosting Leganes in the second leg.

Hopeful Newcastle buyer Staveley: Offer still on the table

Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images
1 Comment

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley is probably happy that his for-sale club is away this weekend, even though his side’s up against Manchester City.

[ MORE: Top PL storylines — Week 24  ]

That’s because hopeful buyer Amanda Staveley has responded to claims that her hopeful takeover of the team won’t be happening any time soon.

Talks had stalled, said Tuesday reports, much to the chagrin of an #AshleyOut brigade that at times can make Arsenal’s #WengerOut brigade look like a yard full of happy puppies.

A “source” had said, “Attempts to reach a deal have proved to be exhaustive, frustrating and a complete waste of time,” but Staveley shot back on Thursday to reignite the fire. From the BBC, taken from The Times:

“Our bid remains on the table. This is an investment, but it has to be a long-term investment. Newcastle would be run as a business, but we want it to be a successful, thriving business that is an absolutely integral part of the city.”

She also said that popular manager Rafa Benitez is integral to her interest in the team, and that fact combined with her insistence that an offer remains on the table will have many Newcastle fans seething with current ownership (and there have been protests for years). It’s Ashley’s move now.

2018 MLS Mock Draft: LAFC, Galaxy hold the keys

@MLS
Leave a comment

Major League Soccer’s latest batch of hopeful rookies learn the next steps of their professional careers beginning Friday with the first two rounds of the MLS SuperDraft.

There are several intriguing prospects, including accomplished Stanford center back Tomas Hilliard-Arce and dangerous Michigan winger Francis Atuahene.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverage ]

An MLS mock draft is always tricky given the wildly varying opinions on players from the college game. This year, it’s even trickier as clubs without picks and some with multiple first round picks may be looking to move up and down even more than the norm.

Here’s how we think the draft could play out:

  1. LAFC – Tomas Hilliard-Arce, CB, Stanford
  2. LA Galaxy – Jon Bakero, FW, Wake Forest
  3. DC United – Francis Atuahene, FW, Michigan
  4. Montreal – Joao Moutinho, LB, Akron
  5. Minnesota – Wyatt Omsberg, CB, Dartmouth
  6. Orlando City – Ema Twumasi, FW, Wake Forest
  7. Montreal – Chris Mueller, FW, Wisconsin
  8. New England – Mo Adams, MF, Syracuse
  9. New England – Chris Lema, MF, Georgetown
  10. Real Salt Lake – Justin Fiddes, LB, Washington
  11. FC Dallas – Marcelo Acuna, FW, Virginia Tech
  12. San Jose – Brandon Bye, RB, Western Michigan
  13. Sporting KC – Ed Opoku, FW, Virginia
  14. Atlanta – Alex Roldan, MF, Seattle
  15. Chicago – Mason Toye, FW, Indiana
  16. New York Red Bulls – Alan Winn, MF, North Carolina
  17. Vancouver – Tristan Blackmon, RB, Pacific
  18. Sporting KC – Jon Gallagher, FW, Notre Dame
  19. New York City FC – Daniel Musovski, FW, UNLV
  20. Houston – Mo Thiaw, FW, Louisville
  21. Columbus – Brian White, FW, Duke
  22. Seattle – Tim Kubel, MF, Louisville
  23. Toronto FC – Oliver Shannon, MF, Clemson

There are a few players to keep an eye on for the later rounds that I won’t project for the first round due almost exclusively to first person bias (Some I’ve seen play in college, others at other levels). Afonso Pinheiro from Albany produced like crazy until this season, and Bowling Green defender Alexis Souahy has a skill set that could really transmit to the MLS level.

Mac Steeves (Providence) is a prototypical big body scorer, while Evansville’s heady Ian McGrath has a flair for the absurd and can play almost every position up the center of the pitch. Charleston’s Thomas Vancaeyezeele was a D-2 monster and is probably worth a shot earlier than people suspect.

Roma-Chelsea reports could see Dzeko, Batshuayi… and Sturridge on the move

Angelo Carconi/ANSA via AP
Leave a comment

Here’s a wild rumor out of Italy, as Gianluca Di Marzio has UEFA Champions League Round of 16 sides Chelsea and Roma working out a big transfer.

[ MORE: PST chats with Dzeko in July ]

Again, before we lay it out, we know that both clubs would not be able to use Cup-tied players in the UCL and that gives the rumor its unrealistic bent.

Chelsea reportedly is willing to send $62 million and striker Michy Batshuayi on loan to Roma in exchange for Edin Dzeko and Emerson Palmeiri. Reports say Roma is holding out for another $20 million, potentially add-ons.

Dzeko isn’t producing at his otherworldly rate of last season, but is far and away i Lupi’s leading scorer and bagged a brace against Chelsea in the UCL. And Batshuayi scored in Chelsea’s first two matches of the tournament.

There is something to the rumor, at least in terms of Emerson. The London Evening Standard quotes the player’s agent as saying talks are ongoing and the move is a “dream” one for Emerson, who is behind Aleksandar Kolarov on the left back depth chart since returning from injury.

Roma would need a UCL-eligible center forward, as Czech youngster Patrik Schick has been unable to find his scoring boots since a summer move from Sampdoria. Football Italia says, sensationally, that Roma would use some of the money to pry Daniel Sturridge from Liverpool.

Maybe the Emerson move goes through, but the striker swap feels like a headscratcher for Dzeko and Chelsea.