Jurgen Klopp wears his heart on his sleeve.
[ MORE: Grades for January window ]
It’s why Liverpool fans and neutrals love him but sometimes his emotions boil over. That happened at Anfield on Tuesday as Liverpool drew 1-1 with Chelsea and Klopp screamed furiously in the face of the fourth official.
With the game level with 14 minutes to go, Chelsea were awarded a penalty kick after Diego Costa was fouled in the box by Joel Matip. It was a clear penalty kick but Klopp vented his frustration to the fourth official.
He explained that his beef was with a foul not being called on Costa earlier in the play as he appeared to nudge Dejan Lovren off the ball. Still, he realized his reaction (see in the video above) towards fourth official Neil Swarbrick was unnecessary.
“I turned to him [Swarbrick] and said: ‘Nobody can beat us.’ Obviously that is absolutely not true but that’s what I said in this moment,” Klopp said. “I went back to the fourth official and said: ‘Sorry – you are the wrong person to speak to.’ He said: ‘No problem, I like your passion.’ I have never heard that from an official before. That was cool.”
With Arsene Wenger receiving a four-match touchline ban for slightly pushing a fourth official, some would argue Klopp should be charged by the FA. Let’s see how this plays out.
As for Costa — the man who won and then had his penalty kick brilliantly saved by Simon Mignolet — Klopp revealed his true feelings about Chelsea’s leading goalscorer.
“If I had played against Costa we could never be friends,” Klopp added. “That’s how it is but when you have him in your team it’s much more fun. I don’t know if it was a dive for the penalty. No one has said anything to me.”
In a way that was a back-handed compliment for Costa from Klopp and although Liverpool remain 10 points behind league leaders Chelsea, they showed spirit and determination to battle back into the game and grab a point. Roberto Firmino had two wonderful chances at the start and end of the second half which he made a mess of, but overall a draw was a fair result as Pedro went close twice late on.
What must be the most frustrating thing for Klopp is that Liverpool has the best record in the PL against the current top six this season, but they’ve dropped 15 points against teams from outside the top six.
That’s what has likely cost them a shot at the title but Klopp’s side are still well and truly in the top four hunt and clinching a spot in the UEFA Champions League would be a great achievement.
Arsene Wenger confirmed in his pre-match press conference that goalkeeper Petr Cech will get an extended rest with a pair of Cup games on the horizon for Arsenal.
In his place, David Ospina will start both Thursday’s Europa League Round of 32 match against Ostersund and Sunday’s EFL Cup Final against Manchester City. Ospina is no stranger to this type of rotation, with the Colombian owning just 30 starts over the last three seasons in national and international Cup competitions compared to just seven Premier League appearances.
In addition, Wenger also confirmed that Mesut Ozil will miss out for Thursday’s match due to illness, but is expected back for Sunday’s EFL Cup final. Arsenal has a 3-0 lead over Swedish club Ostersund after the first leg, with the second leg to be played at the Emirates.
Wenger said Aaron Ramsey is back in training, and while he will not be risked in the Europa League match in his return from a groin injury that saw him miss the North London derby loss, he could be in contention to play against Manchester City. [Ramsey] is not in the squad tomorrow, he had a good training session. We will see how his evolution goes between now and Sunday. I don’t rule him out.”
Ramsey scored a hat-trick in the 5-1 win over Everton in early February, but has played just 181 minutes since picking up a hamstring injury in mid-December.
Finally, Wenger said that Danny Welbeck and Henrikh Mkhitaryan will both receive starting spots against Ostersund, as will some unnamed youth products. Welbeck has been out of Premier League action since mid-January, stuck behind Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, but he received four minutes off the bench in the North London derby and will get another opportunity in the Europa League to prove his worth.
Antonio Conte admits that he will always face speculation about his tenure as manager while he is employed at Chelsea, but dismissed it as “no problem for me.”
There is a general acceptance that Conte will part ways with Chelsea at the end of the season given the tough times the club has seen this campaign. The Blues are hanging on to a Champions League place by a thread, and struggled through a January that included just two wins across all competitions in six matches.
“I’ve said it very clearly: I’ve got a contract until 2019 and I intend to respect this, but you know anything can happen in football,” Conte told Italian publication Mediaset. “It takes two to be happy and continue a marriage. Our work is unique because we’ve always got our suitcase in our hands.”
Conte did issue somewhat of a warning to Chelsea, however, that if he were to be fired, it could come back to haunt the club, as he would have no shortage of offers. “My intention is to respect my contract, but if something were to happen, it would open up different scenarios.” Big clubs such as Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid could have job openings this summer if their lofty goals aren’t met, and those places would be attractive destinations for Conte, who won the Premier League title with Chelsea just last year.
“It’s a bit the history of Chelsea and inevitable when, in the past, in 14 years, 10 coaches have been changed,” he said. “Clearly when there is this habit, let’s say, the press play on it and as soon as there is a result or two which don’t go your way, they try to put the pressure on.
“But it’s no problem for me. I hope that this pressure doesn’t harm the players, not me, because I go looking for pressure.”
On a single-digit Tuesday that severely limited the attendance at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, where the Colorado Rapids and Toronto FC dueled in the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals.
Jonathan Osorio’s second half goal put the Reds in front and Sebastian Giovinco had a goal and an assist and the visitors take a 2-0 decision back to Ontario.
The best chance of a preseason quality first half saw Dominique Badji flub the best chance of the stage into the feet of Alex Bono.
Toronto took the lead, nabbing the away goal through Osorio’s header of a Sebastian Giovinco cross. And the Atomic Ant got on the board with a goal of his own off an Auro assist with 17 minutes to play.
[ MORE: Georgia teen heading to Schalke ]
Tuesday’s other first leg saw Herediano and Tigres play to a 2-2 draw in Costa Rica, with the Liga MX visitors taking a pair of away goals but shocked by a pair of stoppage time concessions.
Francisco Meza scored in the 15th minute and Lucas Zelarayan seemingly put it to bed with 15 minutes to play.
But Yendrick Ruiz converted a 90th minute penalty kick before ex-DC United forward Jairo Arrieta did this ahead of the Feb. 22 second leg in Mexico.
Bundesliga mainstays Schalke have added yet another American, this one 17-year-old Zyen Jones of Atlanta United. Jones is a forward with the U.S. U-17 national team.
Like Josh Sargent, who signed his deal with Werder Bremen on Tuesday, he’ll head overseas and sign a pro contract on Aug. 25, his 18th birthday.
[ MORE: Chelsea-Barca recap | JPW’s 3 things ]
Jones will join several potential USMNT teammates in Gelsenkirchen, including injured senior team midfielder Weston McKennie and youngster Nick Taitague (19). Forward Haji Wright is on loan at Sandhausen.