Andrea Agnelli

Twitter/@NahayatT

Juventus president Andrea Agnelli banned for 1 year

Leave a comment

Juventus president Andrea Agnelli was banned for one year by the Italian soccer federation on Monday for his role in selling tickets to hardcore “ultra” fans that encouraged scalping.

[ MORE: Mourinho escapes ban after sending off ]

The court also fined Juventus 300,000 euros ($350,000).

The ban comes less than three weeks after Agnelli was elected to chair the 220-member European Club Association.

“Having taken note of today’s decision by the FIGC’s National Tribunal, Juventus preannounces its appeal to the FIGC Court of Appeal in the full conviction of its own good arguments, which have still not found adequate recognition,” the Serie A club said in a statement.

“The club expresses its own satisfaction because today’s sentence, even though it inflicted heavy bans on the president and other people involved, has “after extensive evaluation of the evidentiary material” (page 11 of the sentence) excluded all alleged links with representatives of organized crime.”

Federation prosecutor Giuseppe Pecoraro also said he would appeal for a harsher sentence. Pecoraro requested a 2 1/2-year suspension, a fine and an order to force Juventus to play two home matches behind closed doors.

“I am partially satisfied because we managed to prove everyone’s guilt but the facts are so serious that I think they should be punished more,” Pecoraro told Italian news agency Ansa. “The judgment of another court would be useful, taking into account that the resources coming from the ticket scalping went to a criminal organization, and that is very serious.”

The ban means Agnelli remains Juventus president but cannot represent the club in any official matter governed by the FIGC. He cannot, for example, go into the dressing room during matches or have transfer dealings with players’ agents.

However, the ban has not been extended to UEFA and FIFA – and there is no chance of that happening until all the appeals have been heard. Agnelli’s position as head of the ECA is not at risk for now.

Agnelli allegedly authorized the sale of season passes and other tickets. He has acknowledged meeting with Rocco Dominello, an “ultra” fan linked to the Calabrian `ndrangheta crime mob who has since been sentenced to nearly eight years in prison for scalping.

But Agnelli said the meetings came only with large numbers of other fans at celebratory occasions and that the club never intended to engage in illegal activity.

Juventus security director Alessandro D’Angelo has been banned for 15 months while ticketing director Stefano Merulla and former marketing director Francesco Calvo have also been handed one-year suspensions.

Each of the four has also been fined 20,000 euros ($24,000) for violating sporting integrity and illicit relations with fans.

The 41-year-old Agnelli has led Juventus, the club his family has owned for nearly a century, since 2010. Agnelli has also been a non-voting member of the UEFA executive committee since 2015. He received full voting rights last week at a UEFA meeting in Geneva.

[ MORE: Villareal sacks manager Escriba after one year in charge ]

Dominello’s father, Saverio Dominello, was sentenced to 12 years in prison by a court in Turin in June for his role in the scalping case.

Anti-mafia prosecutors said the `ndrangheta was involved in scalping among Juventus ultra fans for at least 15 years, guaranteeing order in the stadium in exchange for open ticket access.

Juventus has denied any wrongdoing.

Abandoning the Champions League? Galatasaray chairman claims new competition will arise involving top teams

14 Comments

So long, parity. So long, little club. So long, Cinderella story.

According to Galatasaray chairman Unal Aysal, a “European Super League” could exist as soon as 5 years from now involving the top teams from across Europe.

“I think it is the future of football” Aysal said at the Leaders Sport Summit in west London Thursday. “It has to be created, not after 10 years but as soon as possible.”

The completely radical idea would essentially replace the Champions League, and would appear – as Aysal describes it – as another league-based system, complete with relegation.

“I think it could be 20 big teams, for example, in Europe, with the last three, four or five teams can change every year. I think it can be operated in a proper way in order to make it effective and useful to European football and also to bring new horizons in football.”

Would clubs like Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, or Juventus go for such a change?

“Football is a big industry, a growing industry” argues Aysal, “and a European super league will bring a lot of support and also energize football in general. It’s not yet totally elaborated and prepared and put on the paper. But it is a concept that is under discussion for a few years. It is not a new concept, but we favor it.

“The first 15-20 big clubs of Europe all agree with this – nobody will say no. Manchester United, Paris St Germain, Real Madrid. There may be one or two exceptions for local reasons, political reasons, and I will understand, but as the future for European clubs and the future of football, nobody can say no to this. Every reality starts with a dream. At the moment, it looks like a dream, a vision. I am sure, sooner or later, in a maximum of five years’ time, it will be a reality.”

That’s a very, very bold statement by the Turkish club. It’s also a statement that has already been disputed by Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli.  “I do not think the time has come,” Agnelli said. “We are part of a system that works, and we are proud of being part of that system.”

So will the top clubs support it like Aysal claims? That’s something worth watching, but also something that would appear doubtful at this moment.

Juventus exec ranks economic stability above keeping starlet Paul Pogba, says Serie A no longer a top league

Leave a comment

Just a year ago, Juventus snatched 20-year-old Paul Pogba from the clutches of Manchester United

Now, it appears the Italian giants are resigned to the fact that the club admitted economic stability is such a priority that they could not refuse a big-money big for the youngster should one arrive in the near future.

Said Juventus president Andrea Agnelli, “I am trying to think what will be of us in two or three years’ time if we get a massive offer for one of the best talents we have today – Pogba, the French 20-year-old. Would we be able to retain him? I don’t know. I don’t think at the moment we have the strength to retain such a player. You can be attractive, but you also need to have economic strength.”

Agnelli didn’t stop there, casting doubts over the current status of Italy’s top professional league. “Italy is no longer a final destination, but a transit destination.”

Rumors have swirled that Pogba is nearing a contract extension with Juventus, but Agnelli reiterated that no contract – short or long – would be able to keep a big offer from turning both the player’s and club’s head.

The French wonderkid has scored three goals for the Bianconeri across all competitions so far this season.  It created a major stir in the English game when Manchester United decided to allow Pogba to leave instead of resign him, and his solid play this season is only causing to increase the critics of the decision.

Naturally, Agnelli’s quotes were directed in the direction of Pogba, but the overriding theme was that this could have an effect on many star players, not just this one situation.  His assessment of the Serie A’s standing in world football is an interesting one, considering the success Juventus has had across the world platform in recent years.