Belgium

Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images

Report: U.S. international Kenny Saief joins Anderlecht on loan

Leave a comment

Kenny Saief is back and he’s heading to a popular place in Belgium’s top flight.

On Saturday, the U.S. Men’s National team midfielder joined Anderlecht on loan from fellow Belgian side Gent, while the former does maintain the option to purchase Saief at season’s end.

[ MORE: Barcelona reportedly snag Coutinho for $192 million ]

This season, Saief has appeared in five matches for Gent, prior to completing the loan move to third-place side Anderlecht.

The 24-year-old American made his USMNT debut in the summer of 2017 in a victory against Ghana. He was also tabbed to participate in the CONCACAF Gold Cup, however, a hernia injury kept Saief out of the squad that won the tournament.

Saief holds both American and Israeli citizenships, and previously played for Israel at the youth level before making a USMNT appearance in 2017.

Romelu Lukaku carried off with apparent head injury

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Romelu Lukaku was stretchered off the pitch with what looked like a nasty head injury just eight minutes into Manchester United’s clash with Southampton on Saturday.

Lukaku, 24, was placed onto a stretcher after many minutes of treatment from United’s medical staff and had an oxygen mask on as he was carried off the pitch.

[ WATCH LIVE: Man United – Southampton ] 

The Belgian striker, United’s top scorer this season who had previously played in every single second of their Premier League campaign, was involved in an aerial collision with Southampton’s center back Wesley Hoedt.

Lukaku did not get back off the ground after Hoedt’s head collided powerfully with the back of his head.

BT Sport in the UK are reporting that Lukaku was not taken to hospital but is being monitored closely in the United dressing room.

Marcus Rashford replaced Lukaku on the pitch as the Belgian forward had already headed just over the bar early on with the first big chance of the game.

Impact defender Ciman hopes to extend MLS stay past 2018

Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press via AP
Leave a comment

While he may not be one of the household names in Major League Soccer in terms of popularity, Laurent Ciman has easily become one of the league’s top defenders since coming to North America.

[ MORE: Sounders in firm control of West final after leg 1 victory ]

The Montreal Impact center back arrived on the MLS scene back in 2015, and has spent the last three seasons with the Canadian side.

In that span, Ciman has not only allowed those within the MLS ranks, but also with his native Belgium, to which he has earned various call ups to the national team recently. He is also on track to make the Red Devils squad ahead of next summer’s World Cup in Russia.

The 32-year-old has plans to remain with the Impact past 2018, when his contract expires, and Ciman says he hopes the club’s next manager — Remi Garde — will be able to assemble a quick turn around.

“My projects are based in the MLS. I have a year left with Montreal, and my goal is to extend my contract in North America after that,” said Ciman.

“Last season was disappointing, but I hope the new coach will give new momentum to the team.”

The Impact missed the MLS Cup Playoffs in 2017 after the team lost nine of its last 10 regular season matches.

VIDEO: Merciless KDB strike puts Man City up two

Leave a comment

Merciless in multiple ways, might we add.

Moments after Leicester City saw Ederson save a Jamie Vardy header and a follow-up hit the post, Man City showed Leicester it can counter pretty effectively.

[ VIDEO: Mane’s sweet strike ]

Kevin De Bruyne led the charge with a diagonal ball to the corner, and Leroy Sane held up play as the Belgian worked his way toward the top of the arc.

That’s when the ball came back to KDB and, well, ka-boom.

Marouane Fellaini’s future at Man United in serious doubt

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Marouane Fellaini‘s future at Manchester United is in serious doubt with the Belgian midfielder out of contract on June 30, 2018.

Fellaini, 29, last held contract talks with United in September but rejected the Red Devils’ offer of a new deal.

Galatasaray were linked with a move for Fellaini in the summer and Besiktas are said to be interested in signing him in January, but reports state that United will not sell him in January and will instead risk losing him for nothing next summer.

Over the past few months his manager at United, Jose Mourinho, has been singing Fellaini’s praises despite the destructive midfielder dividing opinion among United’s fans and neutrals with his performances in central midfield.

You either love him or you hate him. That’s just the way it is. He was even booed by United’s fans last December when he warmed up as a sub during the game against Tottenham at Old Trafford.

Since then, things have changed but Fellaini’s future is in doubt despite him having a good relationship with Mourinho.

Fellaini’s powerful performances in midfield give United something completely different and he has often come in for high-profile games away from home and helped disrupt the rhythm of opponents, while his aerial ability is always useful off the bench. Playing in a more defensive role than he did in the past, Fellaini has also scored four goals in nine appearances in 2017-18 and Mourinho singled him out for special praise after the 1-0 defeat at Chelsea before the break with Fellaini rushing back from injury to feature in the second half.

Mourinho has done that a lot this season, perhaps knowing in the back of his mind Fellaini was having doubts about signing a new deal at Old Trafford.

United’s manager has called Fellaini his “most important player” on many occasions and although that may be a stretch, there’s certainly something to be said about the former Everton man lasting this long at United after his horrible debut season under David Moyes in 2013-14.

Almost five years on from his $35.5 million arrival from Everton, the fact that Fellaini is only now seen as an important figure for United tells the whole story.