Fresh off of completing a record deal to help bolster the club’s back line this summer, Manchester City is back at it with the Premier League season looming.
[ MORE: Alvaro Morata signs five-year contract at Chelsea ]
The Citizens are reportedly on the brink of signing Monaco left back Benjamin Mendy to yet another world-record fee — which will total over $67 million.
A Monaco representative announced that a fee had been agreed, but Man City is yet to confirm the move. L’Equipe is also reporting that the Citizens are hot on the 23-year-old’s trail in adding to their pricy back four.
Manager Pep Guardiola and Man City have not been shy readjusting their defensive unit over the past year, adding expensive first-team choices John Stones and Kyle Walker.
Tottenham put up a heck of a title fight in 2016/17 as the club attempted to chase down Premier League champions Chelsea, but Spurs have been inactive this summer as Mauricio Pochettino‘s group gears up for next month.
[ MORE: Striker Morata signs five-year contract with Chelsea ]
The London side finished second in the PL a season ago — a record-high for the club during the modern Premier League Era.
[ VIDEO: History of the North London Derby ]
However, Pochettino and Co. have made no moves in the transfer market this summer, while its competitors — Chelsea, Manchester United, etc. — have all made significant roster additions to bolster their lineups.
Defender Jan Vertonghen says that Spurs must compete with the rest of the PL’s elite in the transfer market if the club is to finally realize its goal of finishing atop England’s top flight.
“The way our rivals are strengthening this season, we need to be aware of that and we need to level up as well,” Vertonghen told ESPN FC.
“I’m not saying with new players, but we need to take our levels up and I think we can. I’m the oldest outfield player in the team and I feel very fit. The younger guys can improve even more. It can definitely be our year and we want it to be our year.
“Luckily we almost kept everyone from this year. Obviously the window is not closed yet but if we can keep these guys, we can do the same thing again. It’ll be a bit harder because we play at Wembley! [The pitch] is a lot bigger but the training pitches have already been adapted.
While Spurs certainly benefit from having one of the strongest young groups of players in England, the club’s lack of spending is a bit concerning, especially after its recent loss of Kyle Walker — who joined Manchester City for a record fee.
Kieran Trippier‘s rise at Totteham Hotspur continues.
[ MORE: Auba to Chelsea a good fit? ]
The former Burnley right back became a regular for Spurs at the end of last season and was rewarded with a call-up to the English national team over the summer (making his debut against France) following his fine form.
That strong finish to last season has now earned Trippier, 26, a new deal at Spurs as he is the latest to pose with Mauricio Pochettino signing a new contract.
The deal runs until 2022 and after Kyle Walker‘s $65 million departure to Manchester City last week, Trippier is now Tottenham’s undisputed first-choice right back.
His pace and power mean he can cut it at the top end of the PL and Europe, while his supreme crossing ability led to plenty of chances for Spurs and ultimately made them feel more comfortable about selling Walker to Man City.
In many ways Trippier is a more complete player than Walker and Spurs picked him up in June 2015 for a reported $5 million.
Or, to put it in other terms, just over 12 Kyle Walker’s.
That’s what you call a bargain
Joe Hart has no future at Manchester City — we’ve known this since last summer — at least not while Pep Guardiola is the man in charge.
[ MORE: Sunday’s transfer rumor roundup | Saturday | Friday ]
With the 2018 World Cup just 11 short months away, England’s no. 1 has spent his summer searching for a new place of employment, and appears to have settled on a (temporary) landing spot — the 30-year-old goalkeeper will spend the 2017-18 season on loan to West Ham United.
While Hart had all along hoped to make a permanent move, and stay in the Premier League, this summer, the opportunity to be a full-time starter in the PL, in a World Cup year, was too good to pass up. Hart spent the 2016-17 season on loan to Serie A side Torino, where he appeared in 37 games (all competitions) and helped Turin’s “other” club to a 9th-place finish.
[ MORE: It’s now or never for Aubameyang — will he stay or go to Chelsea? ]
Man City will reportedly still pay part of Hart’s wages, which only serves to further sweeten the deal for the Hammers. The loan agreement will also include an option for West Ham to sign Hart on a permanent basis next summer.
The deal is expected to be announced early this week, following the completion of Hart’s medical with the club.
As the Diego Costa saga continues at Chelsea, the reigning Premier League champions have reportedly set their sights on another striker in an attempt to replace the Spanish international.
[ MORE: Rashford brace guides Man United past LA Galaxy in friendly ]
With Alvaro Morata, Andrea Belotti and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang all linked to the Blues, AS is reporting that Manchester City goalscorer Sergio Aguero could be in line to head to Stamford Bridge after City manager Pep Guardiola agreed to the move.
Aguero is coming off of a 33-goal season across all competitions for the Citizens, who finished third in England’s top flight.
Arsenal is turning its attention to Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata as it seems more and more likely that Alexis Sanchez’s future at the Emirates Stadium is coming to a close.
Sanchez has made it clear of his intentions to play Champions League soccer, which Arsenal will miss out on next season, and the Chilean has been linked with Manchester City.
The Gunners have already gone out and acquired Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette this summer to help bolster the club’s attack.