Karl-Heinz Rummenigge

Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images

Carlo Ancelotti out as Bayern Munich manager

1 Comment

UPDATE: Bayern Munich have announced the club has “parted ways” with Ancelotti.

Bayern Munich has looked a shell of itself to start the 2017/18 season, and following Wednesday’s defeat to PSG the club could be in the market for a new manager.

Club CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge called for “consequences” following the 3-0 loss at the Parc des Princes, and unfortunately for manager Carlo Ancelotti that could spell the end of his coaching tenure in the German capital.

[ MORE: Mourinho speaks following Man United’s win at CSKA ]

ESPN FC is reporting that Ancelotti has stepped down from his position at Bayern and that the news will likely come down on Thursday.

Ancelotti replaced now-Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola at Bayern ahead of the 2016/17 season, but despite winning the Bundesliga last season the German champions have started off slow.

“What we’ve seen tonight was not Bayern Munich,” Rummenigge said following Wednesday’s defeat.

German outlet Sport Bild first reported that a meeting would take place on Thursday, which could determine the future of Ancelotti.

If the current Bayern boss is in fact sacked, assistant coach Willy Sagnol would likely take over in the interim, although former Borussia Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel has also been linked with the job.

“It was a bitter defeat. One we must talk about. One we must analyse. And one from which we have to draw our consequences,” the Bayern CEO said. “What we’ve seen tonight was not Bayern Munich.”

“I believe that we can all agree on this,” Rummenigge continued. “It’s important we get our act together soon and show we are Bayern Munich, a team which has made a great stir in Europe and Germany in recent years.”

As it stands, Bayern is tied for second place in their UEFA Champions League group, while the Germans are third in the Bundesliga table through six rounds of play.

Bayern CEO hammers Lewandowski: “His might is not that high”

AP Photo/Matthias Schrader
Leave a comment

Unsettled superstar striker Robert Lewandowski hasn’t been the happiest at Bayern Munich in recent months, but he’s now said enough that the club CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has had enough.

Lewandowski took a shot at the club’s transfer policy over the summer, a short time after he ripped Bayern for not doing more to aid his pursuit of another Golden Boot.

[ MORE: Palace makes change ]

Earlier this summer, manager Carlo Ancelotti admitted he’s unhappy with Lewandowski’s agent and the club also released a statement blasting teams for chasing the striker this summer.

From Bild, via Sky Sports:

“I don’t think the player’s might is that high. And Lewandowski can see that when he looks at his contract. He signed until 2021 without an exit clause.

“Regrettably his agent often is his ‘Spiritus Rector’ [guiding light]. That was the case here, too. The interview was consciously organised around Bayern. He harms Robert with that.”

It’s odd timing for such a response from Rummenigge: September, the eve of a Champions League campaign. And it also comes following a 2-0 loss at Hoffenheim, one which may have pushed Rummenigge into combustible mode.

The end game carries the most interest. Would Bayern cash in on its star, especially given his age? Or is Rummenigge setting the table for a stalemate with a player he certainly believes wants to leave and isn’t taking the right road?

The 29-year-old Lewandowski has been with Bayern since 2014, scoring 116 times for the Bavarians.

Bayern opens Champions League group play with Anderlecht at the Allianz Arena on Tuesday, and will also face Celtic and Paris Saint-Germain.

Bayern chairman: Updates on Gnabry loan, Costa sale, Sanches

Photo by Nils Petter Nilsson/Ombrello/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MUNICH (AP) Bayern Munich forward Serge Gnabry, who just joined the club last month, hopes to leave on loan to gain more playing experience, chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said on Monday.

The 21-year-old Gnabry, who signed a three-year deal after joining from Werder Bremen, informed Bayern personally and through his agent of his desire to leave, Rummenigge said of the Germany forward.

“We’re appraising the situation calmly, and will wait to see what we still do in the transfer market,” said Rummenigge, who spoke on a range of issues affecting the club.

[ MORE: Kovacic to Spurs? ]

Gnabry spent one season at Bremen after joining from Arsenal last summer. He scored 11 goals and set up two more in 27 Bundesliga games for the club, as well as a hat trick on his Germany debut against San Marino last November.

Rummenigge said Brazilian winger Douglas Costa was on the verge of joining Juventus, though negotiations were ongoing.

“There’s an amount, if reached, where we’ll be ready to let him go. But I can’t yet report a deal today,” Rummenigge said.

The Bayern chairman said the club could allow Renato Sanches to leave for a year on loan after what was a disappointing debut season for the 19-year-old Portugal winger.

“We’ll decide when we’ve completed our shopping whether to keep him here or loan him out for a year. He really needs playing minutes after the last half-year, which was unsatisfactory for both sides,” Rummenigge said.

He refused to comment on potential new signings, saying instead the club was keeping “all options open” to the end of the transfer period.

[ MORE: Lennon thanks fans, encourages mental health ]

Leon Goretzka, whose contract with Schalke ends in 2018, is reportedly a target, but Rummenigge said: “The player has to decide if he’s staying at Schalke or wants to switch, and if then, where. Nothing is decided.”

Rummenigge also defended the club’s summer tour to Asia, despite the strain it may put on players, and he said he spoke with Robert Lewandowski’s agent over his unhappiness due to a perceived lack of support from teammates in the last game of the season. Borussia Dortmund’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang pipped the Poland striker to the Bundesliga’s top-scorer award.

“I don’t share this opinion at all,” Rummenigge said. “He got a few good chances from his teammates. They wanted him to be top-scorer but it didn’t work out. So I don’t think it’s a problem.”

Bayern denies report Kimmich to leave, takes legal action

Photo by Matthias Hangst/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MUNICH (AP) Bayern Munich is taking legal action against a Stuttgart newspaper for reporting that midfielder Joshua Kimmich is to leave the club at the end of the season.

Bayern says on its website that it is taking the action against the Stuttgarter Zeitung newspaper for what chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge calls “a monstrous fallacy.”

[ MORE: Danny Rose’s exploratory surgery ]

Rummenigge says, “This story lacks any foundation. Joshua Kimmich has a contract with Bayern until 2020 and will definitely play for Bayern next season.”

Kimmich, a 22-year-old versatile midfielder who has made 13 appearances for Germany, is reportedly unhappy he did not feature as much this season under coach Carlo Ancelotti as he did under predecessor Pep Guardiola.

Kicker magazine reports that Spanish sides Barcelona and Atletico Madrid, as well as Manchester clubs United and City, are interested.

Bayern says Badstuber “likely headed abroad”; Man City calling?

Photo by Maksim Malinouski/EuroFootball/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Limited by playing time at Bayern Munich, Holger Badstuber will get a new home this summer.

Badstuber, 28, was linked to Manchester City in January, but was given a one-year extension from Bayern and a loan deal to Schalke.

Man City was hit by defender injuries in January, and Guardiola hoped to bring Badstuber to the Etihad Stadium on a loan deal.

[ MORE: Fellaini scores winner | Mourinho reacts ]

That move could happen as Guardiola revolutionizes City’s corps this summer, and Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge expects Badstuber to leave the country.

From Bundesliga.com:

“It was clear from the outset that Holger Badstuber, after his loan spell at Schalke, would likely look for a new experience abroad,” read a statement from Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge. “Bayern Munich wishes Holger Badstuber all the best and would like to thank him for his exemplary commitment during almost 15 years at Säbener Straße.”

Badstuber joined Bayern’s Academy from Stuttgart in 2002, and has made 177 appearances for the Bavarians and 31 caps for Germany. His career has been hit with several major injuries, with his last cap coming in 2015.